• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying on shoes at stores, not buying

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a good pair of shoes, something I've never really had. I've measured my foot and I run between a 10.5 and an 11, and I think I am a medium width, maybe slightly narrow.

I've been considering purchasing some AE shoes online (ebay or through here) but I've had terrible luck in the past buying shoes. I'm of course trying to save a few dollars so would rather not pay full retail, as is sold in most B&M stores.

So, what do you all think about going into a B&M store and trying on AE shoes to get a fit, yet not buying them? I would feel kinda like an asshole to do this, but I'm not willing to pay an extra couple hundred dollars. Or, do most retailers not really mind this?

I live in Philadelphia and there are a few stores that sell high quality shoes.

Sousaphil

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I want to buy a pair or 2 of AE, but need to get fitted.

Women very frequently try on shoes/clothes without making a purchase. Men, on the other hand, usually plan to make the purchase if the article fits.

I don't see a problem with using a B&M to try on the shoes and buy elsewhere, but I'd want to give them some sort of business.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to some place like nordstrom rack that has AEs out for you to try on.

elgreco

Reaction score
I tried on a pair of C&Js at Barneys that I had been eyeing, liked the fit and look of the shoe, and then promptly went home and ordered it from Pediwear, hahahaha.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm in the market for a good pair of shoes, something I've never really had. I've measured my foot and I run between a 10.5 and an 11, and I think I am a medium width, maybe slightly narrow.

I've been considering purchasing some AE shoes online (ebay or through here) but I've had terrible luck in the past buying shoes. I'm of course trying to save a few dollars so would rather not pay full retail, as is sold in most B&M stores.

So, what do you all think about going into a B&M store and trying on AE shoes to get a fit, yet not buying them? I would feel kinda like an asshole to do this, but I'm not willing to pay an extra couple hundred dollars. Or, do most retailers not really mind this?

Really? Who says you have to buy every shoe you try on? Don't ever let a store intimidate you like that. Your the customer, you don't have to buy ****.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this ethical dilemma has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Do what you gots to do.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Go to some place like nordstrom rack that has AEs out for you to try on.
Or even a retail Nordstrom on saturday afternoon when it is busy enough that you don't have multiple unoccupied shoe salesman hovering over you like vultures.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Dillards last week to do exactly this; figure out my AE size so I could know what to order online at a better price.

I felt like a real cock for even doing it, but fortunately I was upstaged. The salesman went on and on about leather vs rubber soles, the quality of leather, and what is showing up in "boardrooms" these days.

Apparently these huge ugly Eccos are the thing everyone is shifting towards, away from the AE Park Avenues and such.

After almost 5 minutes of telling me information I had no desire to hear, he was interrupted to inform some other patron on whether he wanted vinyl or leather crosstrainers for playing squash or something. I snuck out without trying on a single pair.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it. This is not even borderline. Tell the sales person up front that you don't know if you want to buy anything today, but want to get a sense of the fit, style, etc.

free man

Reaction score
Just 'forget' your wallet at home or some BS.
confused.gif
It makes me feel a bit less marsupialed.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

Go to Geno's and get a provolone without--then set off to KoP and hit all of the shoe stores there. I would follow along the lines of btinl's suggestion.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Do it. This is not even borderline. Tell the sales person up front that you don't know if you want to buy anything today, but want to get a sense of the fit, style, etc.
Cannot agree enough. Had I not done this before purchasing AEs online, I'd have gotten the completely wrong size. I was under the impression that I was an 11D, whereas sizing and trying on pegged me solidly as an 11.5B. N.B. AEs in Canada run about $300-400 each. I told my salesman that wasn't going to buy unless I could find them for $200 or less, which I'm sure elicited some eye-rolling. Since then, I've bought three pairs online for a total of $250.
teacha.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
Just 'forget' your wallet at home or some BS.
confused.gif
It makes me feel a bit less marsupialed.

It makes you feel less marsupialed to say that you forgot your wallet on a trip to the department store?
laugh.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at it like this. Any good salesman would prefer that you try it on with the 1% chance that you will buy, rather than not let you try it on. You should never feel bad about trying something on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads