Trying on shoes at stores, not buying

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Look at it like this. Any good salesman would prefer that you try it on with the 1% chance that you will buy, rather than not let you try it on. You should never feel bad about trying something on.

But would they want you to try it on if there were less than that 1% chance? And should you take their time away from other customers that want to actually buy in the store?

As mentioned above. we have gone through this ad nauseum, with clearly some feeling its OK and some not.

I think that the correct way to approach this is why not be upfront with them and tell them that you have NO intention of buying here and just want to use them for sizing so you can then let them make that decision of do they want to even try, But its probably unfair to lead them along that they are making a sale when you have no intention of actually buying in the store. Isnt that why you are asking here?

Ask them...You will have done the right thing and they will have that option if they want to pursue attempting to win you over.

2. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

I think that the correct way to approach this is why not be upfront with them and tell them that you have NO intention of buying here and just want to use them for sizing so you can then let them make that decision of do they want to even try, But its probably unfair to lead them along that they are making a sale when you have no intention of actually buying in the store. Isnt that why you are asking here?

I cannot imagine any salesperson agreeing to this.

3. anon

anon Senior member

Given the price of AEs, I prefer just to do the "Well I liked the fit of these, but that's a decent investment.. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for your time"

4. chuckseabreeze

chuckseabreeze Senior member

Just 'forget' your wallet at home or some BS. [​IMG] It makes me feel a bit less retarded.

So do you actually go through the motions of pulling out your wallet, reaching for nothing, and presenting with a confused look on your face as you explain your mishap? That would be classic.

5. indy116

indy116 Senior member

Given the price of AEs, I prefer just to do the "Well I liked the fit of these, but that's a decent investment.. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for your time"

Or, "I'm going to go over to some other store and try on the Alden shoes, then I'll make up my mind."

6. Marc-OS

Marc-OS Member

That's exactly what I do, but then the salesperson will waste another 5 min. trying to sell me on why I should be buying the shoes today.

7. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

Look at it like this. Any good salesman would prefer that you try it on with the 1% chance that you will buy, rather than not let you try it on. You should never feel bad about trying something on.

Yup. I think most stores would beg to have people come into the stores to try on their wares. Getting people in the store is half the battle.

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yup. I think most stores would beg to have people come into the stores to try on their wares. Getting people in the store is half the battle.
    Yes.

9. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

But would they want you to try it on if there were less than that 1% chance? And should you take their time away from other customers that want to actually buy in the store?

As mentioned above. we have gone through this ad nauseum, with clearly some feeling its OK and some not.

Ask them...You will have done the right thing and they will have that option if they want to pursue attempting to win you over.

i agree, its the ethical thing to do to let the salesman know that you have no intention of buying and just want to find your size so they can minimize the time they spend with you and you can both get on with your day. i mean why put the poor guy/girl through the trouble of pitching a sale at you when they have literally zero chance?

we all have our own ethical standards, but its rediculous to think that there is nothing wrong with that. i know i wouldnt hesitate to try on clothes in person and buy online, but im not going to kid myself into thinking its okay because everyone else is doing it.

10. free man

free man Senior member

So do you actually go through the motions of pulling out your wallet, reaching for nothing, and presenting with a confused look on your face as you explain your mishap? That would be classic.

Today I actually forgot my wallet at home. When I went shopping I told the SA that I forgot my wallet at home, and I would be back later. I did come back, because I wanted the item, but had I not come back I wouldn't have felt bad.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

just be cool.

try on the shoes, thank him for his help, and say you'll think about it.

next time you come by, throw some other business his way. they do remember people who've been in their store a few times. i don't think any SA thinks that they're entitled to expect a sale every time you're there, but throw em a bone every now and then and they'll happily let you try on any pair of shoes you want

12. RatherAnOddball

RatherAnOddball Senior member

I don't think that I saw this mentioned in anyone else's reply, but then I don't pay particularly close attention to the content of threads that were started by someone other than myself, but -- After trying it on, tell them outright and upfront what you can get it for online after shipping, and that if they or their manager are willing to be flexible in their own pricing, that you are willing to listen to their offer and buy the pair there and then. This gives them a fair sporting chance to meet you halfway, costing you a bit more than buying online but saving you the hassles and hazards of shipping. If they refuse, then it is they who are responsible for the wasted time and lost sale, and not you, thusly purging your wretched soul of all its wicked sins. [​IMG] But don't try it at any place you might wish to shop at again later, just in case it goes badly or you get very embarrassed afterwards for having contributed for the degeneration of the economy back to the level of haggling. [​IMG]

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Look, shoes aside, I often check stuff out, try it on, look it over, and walk away to think about plunking down the coin. Maybe I'm hopelessly indecisive, but I don't think everyone buys everything the first time they see it. Trying something on and not making an immediate purchase, or any purchase, is not unusual.

But if you're really worried about feeling like a tool, just say, "You know what? I'm not sure about the fit. But thanks."

Seriously though, there's no shame in trying something on and not making an immediate purchase. There may be a bit of shame in trying something on with no intention whatsoever of making a purchase from that store, but be gentle with the shoes.

14. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Yes. I will not lie. I lie to shoe salespeople just like they lie to me. I will often try it on, find the size that fits and then just say that it doesn't feel right, thanks the sales person and leave. Hey, the salesperson has no idea whether a shoe feels right or not on you, only the person wearing it knows.

15. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Go head and try on the shoes. Most shoe sales folks are on commission, so don't prevent them from losing any potential sales. Let them know up front that you don't plan to buy any shoes today.