• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trusted Bespoke Tailors that come to USA?

rockybalboa

Reaction score
HI All,

My tailor from Thailand who would come to the USA every 6 months or so hasn't responded to any of my e-mails. Do you have any trusted tailors that come from out of the country to NYC every so often, to take measurements, and then make and ship the suit once they get back to their country?

I had gotten three suits before from him and had no issues.

OR if you have a trusted tailor in NYC/Montreal area that won't break the bank (custom suit for under $1k) please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many do, Anderson and Shepherd, Steed, Thomas Mahon and many more.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Richard Anderson is there ... oh ... what ... three times a year? Most of the London tailors visit New York.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"OR if you have a trusted tailor in NYC/Montreal area that won't break the bank (custom suit for under $1k) please let me know."

If this is your price point then ignore the suggestions. All are multiples of $ 1k.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike using the term "bespoke" for such an arrangement.

"Bespoke" ought to be reserved for situations involving multiple fittings of the suit. Not just a situation where a tailor visits a foreign country, takes measurements from customers, then goes back home to run up the suits and ship them to their owners.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dislike using the term "bespoke" for such an arrangement.

"Bespoke" ought to be reserved for situations involving multiple fittings of the suit. Not just a situation where a tailor visits a foreign country, takes measurements from customers, then goes back home to run up the suits and ship them to their owners.

The London tailors I have used -- Richard Anderson, Anderson & Shepherd, Huntsman, Dege, etc -- provide a truly bespoke suit. The cost is upwards of $4K (possibly more as I never ask) and there will be multiple fittings. Of course, if meeting with them only on their trips to the United States, it can take a year or more to receive the final product. Unless one also frequently travels to London -- to speed up the process -- the fittings will be accomplished every four months or so.

Quality is worth the wait ... when necessary.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The London tailors I have used -- Richard Anderson, Anderson & Shepherd, Huntsman, Dege, etc -- provide a truly bespoke suit. The cost is upwards of $4K (possibly more as I never ask) and there will be multiple fittings. Of course, if meeting with them only on their trips to the United States, it can take a year or more to receive the final product. Unless one also frequently travels to London -- to speed up the process -- the fittings will be accomplished every four months or so.

Quality is worth the wait ... when necessary.

I must say though, I am constantly striving to minimize fittings these days and perhaps its getting "too efficient". A lot of times we sort fit issues before actual fittings. I do this by extrapolating the correct fit from the garment on dress forms and what we know of the clients figuration, Ive only been able to do this in the past couple of years (after being in the business for 16). I had a chap came in for six jackets straight to finish walked out with all of them first time he'd seen them. He was a repeat client and my QC and pattern keeping is manic but it seemed a bit of an anti climax to me. The stories about going back 5 times and a suit still not being right are not how it should be in my opinion.

Richards philosophy on speed in tailoring is something that I have taken on for my own business, with it taking a year to get a suit out of Savile row on average he was always one for getting them out quicker so clients would ultimately come back more often. Certainly for me its been effective with a much smaller client base.

Its an interesting thing, speed of production and fittings, for the more modern or younger client they may like the "experience" of multiple fittings or "working" with a tailor. With a lets say more traditional client you may find they value less time spent on fittings although they expect the execution to be there.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always prefer fewer fittings ... then spending time with my tailor over dinner ... on me, of course.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always prefer fewer fittings ... then spending time with my tailor over dinner ... on me, of course.

Oh god, I remember year one I had this guy come in from Connecticut my suits were only about $2500 then and I did about 3 a month, my poor wife was working as a baker while pregnant so we could make ends meet. I thought we could get lunch somewhere like veselka as he was coming from out of town just to make it a nicer experience. Somehow he ended up maneuvering me into one of the most fancy places in NYC I have ever seen, it was in LES and still don't know what it was but the staff had tailcoats! At this stage I was expecting him to pay or at least go halves but in any case I ordered something very simple for myself, it may have even been just a starter. he did a three course including lobster, mainly just eating this exorbitant meal in front of me and ran up a $300 tab. The waiter came with the check and he just didn't move. I swallowed it all and didn't say a thing.

So that's very good of you. Usually I go halves or pay myself though these days but it's always a nice gesture when a client takes you out or brings you a bottle of whiskey.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh god, I remember year one I had this guy come in from Connecticut my suits were only about $2500 then and I did about 3 a month, my poor wife was working as a baker while pregnant so we could make ends meet. I thought we could get lunch somewhere like veselka as he was coming from out of town just to make it a nicer experience. Somehow he ended up maneuvering me into one of the most fancy places in NYC I have ever seen, it was in LES and still don't know what it was but the staff had tailcoats! At this stage I was expecting him to pay or at least go halves but in any case I ordered something very simple for myself, it may have even been just a starter. he did a three course including lobster, mainly just eating this exorbitant meal in front of me and ran up a $300 tab. The waiter came with the check and he just didn't move. I swallowed it all and didn't say a thing.

So that's very good of you. Usually I go halves or pay myself though these days but it's always a nice gesture when a client takes you out or brings you a bottle of whiskey.

Hm, with enough fittings and nights out, I could possibly make my money back from some commissions this way.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fewer fittings becomes easier after the first or second suit or shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads