• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trump Berates Press Sec Sean Spicer for Attire --- "Doesn't the guy own a dark suit?"

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw this minor news story a couple days ago and found it humorous.

Supposedly Trump was most displeased with the oversized, light grey suit that Sean Spicer wore to his first press conference. Jacket was about 2 sizes too big, and the collar had a huge gap.

I see what Trump is saying about the necessity of a dark suit in such an official duty. But I don't think the color scheme was objectively bad. A grey suit and navy tie is fine, but out of place in this setting

sean-spicer.jpg

https://www.axios.com/axios-am-2211163642.html

But inside, the finger-pointing and blame-casting continued. Unfortunately for Spicer, Trump is obsessed with his press secretary's performance art. Our Jonathan Swan hears that Trump hasn't been impressed with how Spicer dresses, once asking an aide: "Doesn't the guy own a dark suit?" Spicer looked a lot sharper yesterday than he did on Saturday — in a dark, bankerly suit.

Maggie Haberman tweeted that at Spicer's Saturday presser, Trump "wanted him to be in command/project strength. He did neither. … [H]e wanted Spicer to be a derivative of himself -Trump almost always takes q's & slices it with humor."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-let-it-distract-you/?utm_term=.841787a92f3e

Team Trump believes in the power of image. The new president believes that a single photograph, re-tweeted ad nauseam, can form the basis of a narrative. He believes the actors in his White House drama should look the part, whether patriotic or powerful. Fashion is costuming.

In a striking case of character assassination by tailoring, Sean Spicer, the president’s freshly appointed press secretary, stepped to the podium over the weekend for a briefing that disappointed the president, The Washington Post later reported. He was wearing a gray pinstriped suit jacket that looked as though it had been hurriedly borrowed from a man twice his size. The sleeves were sloppy; the collar didn’t fit; the fabric looked cheap. The tie was poorly knotted. The shirt collar was so snug that his neck overflowed its boundaries. Spicer’s attire was not just a tad ill-fitting. It was distracting and sloppy. It epitomized the cliché style of the used-car salesman. Spicer’s clothes wholly undercut a message that was already riddled with falsehoods.

All that had changed by Monday afternoon. When Spicer returned to the press briefing room for a televised news conference, he was wearing a dark suit that fit. Not perfectly, but better. The tie was neat. He even had a white handkerchief tucked into his breast pocket. It was a visual do-over, one that suggested he was better prepared, more focused, more dignified. By Tuesday, Spicer seemed to have found his sartorial groove.

The Trump White House has been busy with optics over these past few days. The president still does not button his suit jacket and still wears his ties too long, but in recent days he has added a pocket square to his wardrobe — a nonessential flourish that gives his appearance more polish.

imrs.php

imrs.php

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The controversial tan suit

la-ig-obama-tan-suit-stop-freaking-out-20140828

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the gap on Spicer's collar was pretty distracting. Any person who wear suits will immediately pick up on that. If I was president I'd tell my staff to get him a new suit too, lol.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I was checking out the CE for the first time in awhile and this thread has new significance... will leave it at that

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly jrd, don't you know you never go in to CE?

Now, back to posting in the Trump thread...

Parterre

Reaction score
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Trump ought to get his own sartorial house in order (to say nothing of the White House) and do something about his ill-tailored suits and his overly-long and poorly-knotted ties before criticising others. This, really, is utterly nonsensical coming from someone who once lambasted the very idea of having suits tailored, and as a result looks terrible wearing Brioni suits that costs God knows how much (another mark against them in my book). Furthermore, Spicer isn't even the worst offender there-- look at Steve Bannon.

Also, I personally liked Obama's tan suit, to be honest, and probably only more so because it got so many people in a tizzy every time he wore it. Never mind the fact he was in very good company in doing so. Obama's dress sense improved substantially over the years. I've assumed he had help in this regard, but if he had a stylist I've never heard of them.

Only if we had a President who showed real sartorial leadership and was willing to demonstrate some actual personality in their choice of clothes, like Reagan or H.W. Bush (the latter may not have worn such dramatic clothes, but they shouted just what kind of person was wearing them-- a patrician New Englander-- just as loudly).

Last edited:

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Sartorial leadership - Holy crap. Ronnie's jacket looks like he just stepped off some OAP's day out coach trip, whereas his handshake chum appears to be wearing a fake handkerchief and has JETTED BASTARD POCKETS on his jacket, in the name of all that's decent.

Agree The Trump needs to sort out his ties though...

Parterre

Reaction score
Sartorial leadership - Holy crap. Ronnie's jacket looks like he just stepped off some OAP's day out coach trip, whereas his handshake chum appears to be wearing a fake handkerchief and has JETTED BASTARD POCKETS on his jacket, in the name of all that's decent.

Agree The Trump needs to sort out his ties though...
Sure, it's not something I'd wear, but I give him credit for at least being willing to wear something like that. It's a welcome break from the otherwise dreary sea of politicians in dark or even black suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads