• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

whatitis

Reaction score
But, h
I can’t stand their use of Dainite soles. If they allowed more customization like Cats Paw soles, different thread color, and so on, I’d be more interested. I’d be willing to pay a little more to get the boots exactly how I wanted

But, how many companies offer that level of customization? I know Viberg has MTO events, but then you're paying $900/pair (and we've all seen their oversights @smartbrother- saw your botched MTO pair at the LA sale). Truman still offers limited MTO events where you get control over quite a bit of options for around $550. I'm in for the new horse rump MTO, looks sharp.

vettemike

Reaction score
I like Viberg and their MTO events, but at twice the price of Truman its tough to take the plunge. I just wish Truman would offer different custom options on all their boots. It would be easier to justify the price

whatitis

Reaction score
I like Viberg and their MTO events, but at twice the price of Truman its tough to take the plunge. I just wish Truman would offer different custom options on all their boots. It would be easier to justify the price

Agreed. I was an early Truman adopter when you could customize nearly anything. Now, with their scale of production, those days are (sadly) gone.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But, h

But, how many companies offer that level of customization? I know Viberg has MTO events, but then you're paying $900/pair (and we've all seen their oversights @smartbrother- saw your botched MTO pair at the LA sale). Truman still offers limited MTO events where you get control over quite a bit of options for around $550. I'm in for the new horse rump MTO, looks sharp.

Fair point. My hope was that Truman would be the one to fill this place in the market, especially since they do offer MTO over the web. I’m sure they have their reasons for limiting things the way they do, and I’m probably not their target consumer anyway.

whatitis

Reaction score
Fair point. My hope was that Truman would be the one to fill this place in the market, especially since they do offer MTO over the web. I’m sure they have their reasons for limiting things the way they do, and I’m probably not their target consumer anyway.
If I were running the shop, I'd allocate a few pairs a month (first come/serve) for MTO. Assign them to my best two bootmakers with a upcharges for each customization. You'd end up with unique designs, happy customers and a extra profits. Everyone wins.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we’re talking MTO days, these are natural waxed flesh from a few years ago. Love em.
33DF4579-7D7F-4416-9E63-19421B76CB5E.jpeg
EE0AD124-06F6-47CC-A47C-7D58AD90D5A1.jpeg

Turns31

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of the C55 last with some wear on them? Want to see how that toe box is doing.

KevInSuits

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for boots recently and I came across Truman, anyone have a good idea of how they compare quality wise to something like Nick's or Whites?

vettemike

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for boots recently and I came across Truman, anyone have a good idea of how they compare quality wise to something like Nick's or Whites?
I’ve had fairly good experience with Truman quality, so I would say they’re about equal to Nicks and Whites. The big difference is going to be fit and customization. Whites and Nicks offer much better arch support and more customization. Truman’s require an arch insert, because they have almost no arch support.

KevInSuits

Reaction score
I’ve had fairly good experience with Truman quality, so I would say they’re about equal to Nicks and Whites. The big difference is going to be fit and customization. Whites and Nicks offer much better arch support and more customization. Truman’s require an arch insert, because they have almost no arch support.
That's good to know, Truman is the only company out of the three that I can actually go try on because they are carried by one store in Chicago. Where as the other boots are not. I was looking at these vs the falcons from nicks. They are a few dollars cheaper and I wouldn't have order a custom boot from nicks because I want the commando outsole. Seem like a solid idea? I'm just trying to get a good idea before I spend close to 500 dollars on some boots. https://www.trumanboot.com/collections/in-stock-boots/products/black-waxed-flesh-1

vettemike

Reaction score
That's good to know, Truman is the only company out of the three that I can actually go try on because they are carried by one store in Chicago. Where as the other boots are not. I was looking at these vs the falcons from nicks. They are a few dollars cheaper and I wouldn't have order a custom boot from nicks because I want the commando outsole. Seem like a solid idea? I'm just trying to get a good idea before I spend close to 500 dollars on some boots. https://www.trumanboot.com/collections/in-stock-boots/products/black-waxed-flesh-1
I agree you need to try the boots on before you go with either brand. I would try them on with the inserts and socks you would normally wear. With the inserts I am a size 10 in Truman, versus 9.5 in every last from Viberg. I think the GYW Truman’s are a good value, especially when they’re on sale like this past weekend.

KevInSuits

Reaction score
I agree you need to try the boots on before you go with either brand. I would try them on with the inserts and socks you would normally wear. With the inserts I am a size 10 in Truman, versus 9.5 in every last from Viberg. I think the GYW Truman’s are a good value, especially when they’re on sale like this past weekend.
I know everyones feet are different but is there a go to people on here generally reccomend for inserts or is that a question for a different thread?

vettemike

Reaction score
I know everyones feet are different but is there a go to people on here generally reccomend for inserts or is that a question for a different thread?
Truman’s have a tight instep, so I only use half inserts. The ones that fit best are the Birkenstock blue inserts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads