• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered these as my first foray. I’ve always been interested but I can’t get them to do a half sole and all eyelets on any leather I’m interested in. Everything about these work for me except the sole, so I shipped them directly to my cobbler for a mini-ripple resole. I’ll post updates when I get them back.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The eagle has landed.

I've been really irritated at Truman's offerings. So many cool leathers but I could never get them to do all eyelets, a contrast tongue and a half-sole with a leather I wanted, even on the ones they offered as MTO.

When I saw these from butterscotch, I figured it was close enough to my ideal that I could work with it. Here's the final result.

biglmbass

Reaction score
@smartbrother Those look great. Have you tried a gloxi, though? Super comfortable. I just recently got a Viberg with that sole & now want more. Super comfortable.

I having a hard time picturing how he married a mini ripple with that heel...

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smartbrother Those look great. Have you tried a gloxi, though? Super comfortable. I just recently got a Viberg with that sole & now want more. Super comfortable.

I having a hard time picturing how he married a mini ripple with that heel...

I bet it's as comfortable as Christy, if not more. I just don’t like the look of gloxicut ??‍♂️

Turns31

Reaction score
I was really wanting the Rio Latigo's in the C-55 last but don't like the dark brown tongue. I asked if they could do a matching tongue since most of the boots are actually MTO and they told me that was impossible.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was really wanting the Rio Latigo's in the C-55 last but don't like the dark brown tongue. I asked if they could do a matching tongue since most of the boots are actually MTO and they told me that was impossible.

“IMPOSSIBLE” lol. I heard pretty much the same thing every time.

Turns31

Reaction score
“IMPOSSIBLE” lol. I heard pretty much the same thing every time.
I don't think that's an outlandish request especially if the boot isn't even made yet. I offered to pay $10 extra or whatever if the Latigo leather was more expensive or whatever the case. Nope, impossible.

whatitis

Reaction score
After visiting their Boulder factory, my understanding is they cut all the incoming leather except for a few hides kept aside for warranty/remakes/etc. Then, they pre-sew all the uppers in one batch with their selected thread color/tongue/heel tab/etc. The boots are then lasted as orders are placed. I doubt such a request is "impossible" but it would require cutting an entirely new upper from their reserve hides with a new tongue, which is essentially a full MTO. Like you, I've asked a few times for customizations on their stock runs and received a similar response.

EDIT- just my observations/understanding from my brief tour

Last edited:

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After visiting their Boulder factory, my understanding is they cut all the incoming leather except for a few hides kept aside for warranty/remakes/etc. Then, they pre-sew all the uppers in one batch with their selected thread color/tongue/heel tab/etc. The boots are then lasted as orders are placed. I doubt such a request is "impossible" but it would require cutting an entirely new upper from their reserve hides with a new tongue, which is essentially a MTO. Like you, I've asked a few times for customizations on their stock runs and received a similar response.

Get out of here with your facts!

JK. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for the ability to do a 1-off here and there. But since it's impossible I just spend my $$$ elsewhere.

whatitis

Reaction score
Get out of here with your facts!

JK. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for the ability to do a 1-off here and there. But since it's impossible I just spend my $$$ elsewhere.

Fully agreed. This is what I liked most about Truman when they first started- so many options for individualization.

Btw, your pair from Butterscotch are sweet.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fully agreed. This is what I liked most about Truman when they first started- so many options for individualization.

Btw, your pair from Butterscotch are sweet.

Thanks! I'll probably only have one Truman. Glad it's this pair.

vettemike

Reaction score
I can’t stand their use of Dainite soles. If they allowed more customization like Cats Paw soles, different thread color, and so on, I’d be more interested. I’d be willing to pay a little more to get the boots exactly how I wanted

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
I can’t stand their use of Dainite soles. If they allowed more customization like Cats Paw soles, different thread color, and so on, I’d be more interested. I’d be willing to pay a little more to get the boots exactly how I wanted
that is not their MO, you pay for them to deliver their idea of what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads