• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

Glass shoot

Reaction score
Also anyone have thoughts/experience on their return/exchange policy? I saw that it's 7day returnable but for their java waxed preorder they state will only qualify for an exchange (and not a refund?) So in theory would one be able to exchange for another same boot if one finds defects? I ask because many buyers seem to report inconsistent stitching / quality. Ideally, i'd like still like to be able to return it for a refund if i get a lemon.

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
Also anyone have thoughts/experience on their return/exchange policy? I saw that it's 7day returnable but for their java waxed preorder they state will only qualify for an exchange (and not a refund?) So in theory would one be able to exchange for another same boot if one finds defects? I ask because many buyers seem to report inconsistent stitching / quality. Ideally, i'd like still like to be able to return it for a refund if i get a lemon.

I'd describe my experience with their customer service as a) way too frequent, including multiple communications for each of all three pairs of Trumans I own and b) generally semi-responsive but definitely sub-par in terms of actually providing a meaningful answer to any question I asked. My second pair had a pretty obvious workmanship defect that they claimed wouldn't affect the durability of the boot but offered to replace it provided I paid for return shipping. I was not amused given that the flaw (basically a gash cut into the vamp right at the welt where the stitch-down bit starts) would never pass QC inspection for any other brand at that price point, but I sucked it up and they sent me a new pair really quickly. YMMV.

biglmbass

Reaction score
Poor pic, but great chukkas. I think they did a fine job on these. Prairie rambler leather. Starting to warm up here, I see these getting a lot of wear.
chukka.JPG

5KFootwear

Reaction score
Anyone have width noted, or not noted, on their Truman Boots of Non-Standard Width?
https://imgur.com/r/malefashionadvice/wvj6G
Found photos of Truman size tags marked 11B dating back to June 30 2017. These Truman Graphite Horse Rump boots are the same make-up as my previous pair. It would appear the width of Truman's last has changed significantly in the toe box since then. Perhaps worth noting as in my experience the old fit was comfortable but now I would need wide. I specifically noted that my previous pair of Truman's, in the Graphite Horse Rump, is an ideal fit when ordering my latest pair recently.

I really wish the company well because the product is great and so is the pricing. However, there needs to be an improvement in consistency or communication, or both.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone purchase boots from Truman recently that can share sizing advice? Asked their customer service and they suggested 0.5 up from my dress shoe size (8D) & 0.5 down from my running shoe size (US9), but having a hard time finding recent data points to compare

q1445

Reaction score
I have owned 5-6 pair over the last 2-3 years. This is not what you want to hear........., but I have not had much luck with sizing consistency or with their customer service. I am a size 11. Dress shoes like Allen Edmonds size 11, Nike or Adidas size 11. Based on their recommendation for dress shoe I ordered 11.5 (which fits with 2 pair of wool socks) but too big. Based on their recommendation for sneakers, I went with a 10.5 (which fit with a thin dress sock but not a regular sock) too small. To make things further complicated, I have found that the different leathers, structured/unstructured toe, gusseted/ungusseted tongue, soles selection, all effect the fit in any given size. The good thing is at least you can make these boots fit depending on sock thickness. Not ideal, but unless you can try them on and hand pick them, you will have to make due with what you order.

biglmbass

Reaction score
In several pairs, all stitchdown, and none newer than a year or so ago, all but one pair fit TTS (true to size) based on my brannock measurement. I have one pair that are fully leather lined that fit just a wee bit tighter. That said, I know they changed or tweaked their original last some but I'd think a good place to start is with your brannock size.

vettemike

Reaction score
Anyone purchase boots from Truman recently that can share sizing advice? Asked their customer service and they suggested 0.5 up from my dress shoe size (8D) & 0.5 down from my running shoe size (US9), but having a hard time finding recent data points to compare
In my experience, the early stitchdown boots fit tighter in the instep, so I was a size 10. In the last year or so, they allowed more room in the instep, so I am now a size 9.5. I don’t know how the new sleeker last will fit

fabes

Reaction score
Was in their Boulder store (RIP) last month. I had recently nailed down my Alden Barrie sizing and wanted to compare to the Truman boots that I have that are way too big. My size in Barrie is what I should get in Truman. Which was 1/2 down from Brannock. So now I can confirm that the Truman boots I have are 2x sizes too big :(

I think early on the unstructured fit tighter than the structured toe. Anyway, inconsistent is the Truman way unfortunately. They look cool and have good leathers, but that’s about it sad to say.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
I have heard way too many horror stories about Truman to confidently purchase from there. From most accounts I have heard, Vince is nothing short of a complete asshole with no business trying to run a company. Stories surrounding the move to Oregon are that no one wanted to come into their Boulder store and deal with him. What Truman needs is a good customer service rep, someone who knows what they're doing and a good, competent public relations rep who can smooth over and repair their image that they've done such a good job of running into the ground.
They make a nice looking boot, they really do, and I find myself coming back and lusting over them from time to time. But Vince needs to pull his head out of his ass and take a good look in the mirror.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vince is not an asshole. He's made some mistakes, but the sense I get is he's not a people-person and probably wasn't ready for what happens when a very small business gets a fair bit bigger. The move from PA-->CO didn't help.

I haven't been following them for a year or two, so not sure about the story behind moving from stitchdown-->GYW and from CO-->OR

q1445

Reaction score

Daily drivers and I really couldn’t be happier. Size wasn’t perfect but heavy socks make them work fine. Put 30 miles of rough hiking on them a few weekends ago. They perform. They are comfortable. I too wish the company was a little more friendly and customer service oriented, but the flip side is picking up quality boots for under $150 because the hype has died off!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads