• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they're new to the scene. Who's gonna take one for the team and find out...?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was interested as I grew up in that area. But...not sure what's distinctive about the boot. Looks very much like OSB for maybe a little less money. Guess that's the draw?

I think there's an opening for a casual work-style US-made boot that slots in between RW/Wolverine and Viberg. Sweet spot would be $350-550, depending on leathers. Once you get over $500 you're looking at some of the more rugged Alden makeups or Tricker's/Alfred Sargent country boots.

The boot I've been looking for but haven't seen is a black calf service-style boot, maybe captoe, in a grained leather with natural welt and dainite sole, but I don't want to A) Wait for Viberg to make it and B) Pay $850 for it...anyone listening?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that these look so close to the OSB Trench boot, that I'm not sure what sets them apart. It's nice to have the Dublin leather option though...

lobodelnorte

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Java waxed flesh boots from him and have been completely satisfied. They shipped well under the wait time, they look fantastic, and they are extremely well made. On a side note, Vince provides fantastic customer service, which is important to me.

Last edited:

Shalomp

Reaction score
I was interested as I grew up in that area. But...not sure what's distinctive about the boot. Looks very much like OSB for maybe a little less money. Guess that's the draw?

I think there's an opening for a casual work-style US-made boot that slots in between RW/Wolverine and Viberg. Sweet spot would be $350-550, depending on leathers. Once you get over $500 you're looking at some of the more rugged Alden makeups or Tricker's/Alfred Sargent country boots.

The boot I've been looking for but haven't seen is a black calf service-style boot, maybe captoe, in a grained leather with natural welt and dainite sole, but I don't want to A) Wait for Viberg to make it and B) Pay $850 for it...anyone listening?

running at under $500, at first glance it does look like a good price compared to other boot companies who also offer stitchdown and antique brass eyelets.

Shalomp

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Java waxed flesh boots from him and have been completely satisfied. They shipped well under the wait time, they look fantastic, and they are extremely well made. On a side note, Vince provides fantastic customer service, which is important to me.

hi! could u put up some photos of the boot and the sole please?
smile.gif

tiecapoi

Reaction score
Vince provides fantastic customer service, which is important to me.
29.gif

Last edited:

gfloridafan93

Reaction score
How would you compare the comfort, quality of these compared to whites or nicks?

lobodelnorte

Reaction score
I have a pair of White's smoke jumpers that I use for work. The Trumans have a lower arch, but they are still extremely comfortable. The quality is definitely comparable to White's, the stitching, lasting, sanding, etc. all look and feel great. If you are looking for something to wear as everyday or casual boots then I would highly recommend these. I just ordered a pair of No. 8 from Vince, so I can post a picture of those when I get them.

Last edited:

Shalomp

Reaction score
Here you go. This is after a full month of daily (hard) use. The waxed flesh has held up really well.

those pictures are gorgeous! yes it does look like the waxed flesh is hanging tough.
are truman boots all made from horween leather?

lobodelnorte

Reaction score
those pictures are gorgeous! yes it does look like the waxed flesh is hanging tough.
are truman boots all made from horween leather?

Yes, at this time all of his boots are Horween. Currently he has Waxed Flesh, Dublin, and No. 8 on his website.

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to compare to my Viberg SF waxed flesh GMTO on the 2045 last. Same leather, same stichdown, same sole, but the Vibergs are a tad sleeker from the side and have a less structured toe. The Trumans aren't less attractive -- just different. If the overall qualilty is just as good then these are a steal (or the Vibergs are overpriced:D)

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
Interesting to compare to my Viberg SF waxed flesh GMTO on the 2045 last. Same leather, same stichdown, same sole, but the Vibergs are a tad sleeker from the side and have a less structured toe. The Trumans aren't less attractive -- just different. If the overall qualilty is just as good then these are a steal (or the Vibergs are overpriced:D)

Hell Counters are a box-ier than I would like on that pair. They are much more refined in this pair: http://imgur.com/a/6vJzv

Vince Romano is a class act. He is only offering boots in D-widths, hence I have not ordered anything from him. But he is supposed to have E and C width available in the near future. Here is an excerpt from my communication with Vince regarding his construction method/materials for those interested:

Quote:
I am use 10iron insole leather and 8/9 iron midsole leather. They are sourced [sic] from either Belgium or Argentina depending on which color boot they are going with. There are currently no companies in the US making this kind of leather so I am stuck with overseas stuff.
I am using a steel shank currently but I think fiberglass is better, only wondering if it will take more of my energy switching over and explaining that to people or if I should just stick with the steel to make them happy.
Stitching is done vamp to midsole followed by vamp/midsole to outsole. My outsole stitcher is beyond it’s years and it going to need replacing. Possibly the only part of my production process that can potentially destroy boots.

And yes, everything is hand lasted, I have a bunch of machines so I’m not sure it qualifies for handmade. When I think hand made I think of a guy doing pretty much everything with a knife and hammer you know? Dublin and Jave WF are in stock and color 8 is on order. I am considering a 4th leather to keep in stock but I am unsure yet what that will be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics