• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. Should be and are, are 2 very different things. Nick's doesn't mess around.

In pictures and in person this Toscanello color looks great. Just...you know, don't get it wet or this brown shoe polish, or whatever they used will wipe straight off. It's pretty maddening.
That should be the same leather in theory just has a glazed finish on it … “toscenello glazed horse rump”

I’ve always said the stead leathers don’t go well with Truman’s. They don’t last. That’s why I’m pretty pumped about the horween tea core chukka I made to come in the mail. I know that leather is more pliable and longer lasting then those stead suedes. The ramblers are cool but when I here “hand finished” it makes me think stead just spray painted hints of black in the leather.

I think this question needs to be brought up with this brand. Is it anything more then a side gig or side hustle for them? Nicks and whites that’s a full time job. it’s my opinion truman has a mixed identity. Usa hand made boots shouldn’t be made from low quality materials.it defeats the purpose. Double down on putting the best materials in the boots or watch grant stone take the lead. It’s not Truman’s fault it’s our fault our expectations are off

Attachments

• 05B4F816-7C56-4D3A-8FA4-1A6ADCF537AD.jpeg
    05B4F816-7C56-4D3A-8FA4-1A6ADCF537AD.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 137

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered these a month or so ago. Finally got around to wearing them and noticed water stains. So I wiped it with a damp rag and what do you know, typical poor Truman quality - the entire top layer of dye came right off!

You'll notice if you look at your boots they have a lighter shade coming through, almost like it's dry. That's just the poorly dyed top layer crocking off. It takes almost nothing to wipe that whole thing down.
That's from what I know of Truman doesn't tamper w their l
I think this question needs to be brought up with this brand. Is it anything more then a side gig or side hustle for them? Nicks and whites that’s a full time job. it’s my opinion truman has a mixed identity. Usa hand made boots shouldn’t be made from low quality materials.it defeats the purpose. Double down on putting the best materials in the boots or watch grant stone take the lead. It’s not Truman’s fault it’s our fault our expectations are off
It's full-time. I know Vince makes cheese on the side. I actually like that he uses uncommon leathers from Stead.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's from what I know of Truman doesn't tamper w their l

It's full-time. I know Vince makes cheese on the side. I actually like that he uses uncommon leathers from Stead.
I failed to make my point. It’s my opinion that Truman boots don’t hold up at all over time. If they used wickett and Craig veg tanned leather that’s really strong and pliable … or cxl (even tho it’s not that sturdy like it doesn’t stand up on its own it’s still very strong and durable). Anything that’s thick and pliable, preferably veg tan. I think the boots would hold up better.

I have a pair of Truman’s and the bottom of the boot shifts. I can feel it tugging on whatever is underneath that I can’t see. All I have to do is apply a little pressure underneath the heel counter and I’ll feel my boot shifting all over the place tugging on whatever is holding it into place.

I will only ever buy Truman boots if they are in the beefy thick hardy leathers. I should never think like that because no matter what leather upper is being offered shouldn’t have a factor on how long the boot will last or look good for… it should be what’s made of it inside.

I classify Truman boots as just a Thursday captain on generic steroids. I’m more of a fan of the story and the social media they do … behind the scenes milk company “started from nothing and made a pretty dam good company” vibe they give off then the product it self. Maybe they want to have a niche audience. This turned into a rant. When lead times get high into the 12 weeks plus and the prices go as high as 700 or higher we as customers are gonna be comparing our satisfaction for Truman’s like the nicks or whites or wesco boots we own too. They are the same price if you pay for the higher priced horse rump boots they do… you shouldn’t be able to pay for a 390$ black oiled tan roughout boot and spend 790$ on a horse rump MTO and them be made out of the same materials internally. In other words it feels like **** when you pay twice the price and don’t get twice the product (or even a better product)

if stead leathers make them the best margins they won’t be deviating from them anytime soon and that’s good for them. I like most of them. Just not a fan of the “hand finished stuff” I think stretch marks and bug bites on the leather are cool but when you start adding some sort of paint or dye to a already dyed leather it just feels not natural anymore. (A example would be the ramblers and the ginger cammo boot)

I’m pulling for Truman. I’m a weird customer… I like the weight of the boots. Most pnw boots are massive in size and weight. Truman’s are light as a feather compared to any other boot I own. It’s nice to wear the aesthetic of a boot but not have a work boot feeling at the same time.

they probably hate me … but I’m not like the other guy that just blasts them when it’s not warranted. If my boots came with a hole the size of my fist in the upper I wouldn’t posts a pic of it here and blast them. I just hope they don’t label me like those customers that openly talk bad about them.

Last edited:

VONTR4PP

Reaction score
Is it anything more then a side gig or side hustle for them?

I have my own theory and have been talking it over with a fellow boot nerd who's also had major issues with Truman QC and we're starting to believe he could be outsourcing some level of his production. It's just not adding up if you start digging in to the company.

It's not a question of CAN Vince make boots, he certainly can. He used to do stitchdown before switching to a more mass-production model of Goodyear + Blake for some. Not a huge deal, but definitely a move towards higher production levels.

Back in Boulder he had a full shop with employees and he allowed media to photograph.You can find boots in various stages of completion and people working on them. Awesome.

Since he moved to Oregon (I live in Oregon as well) he will not allow visitors under any circumstances, and only has a few photos/videos on IG of a mostly bare shop with a couple of machines more commonly used for resoling and boot repair. Essentially, the same kind of machines you'll see Trenton & Heath use on their YT videos.

He does not list a phone number for contact. This is odd, though he does include it on mailing labels (it's his Colorado # still)

He doesn't own the building his address is registered to (Google Map it) and there is no Truman signage at all. In fact, signage (and building ownership) are for a contractor and a steel company.

That doesn't mean he doesn't work there, or rent it, or have a small team, though I find it highly unlikely he's cranking out 2,000 boots per year with such a cryptic presence and employees that aren't listed publicly anywhere. You can find 19 Viberg employees, including bootmakers, admin, etc. You can find very little for Truman.

After all of that weirdness you've got simple changes that can't even be made.

Want 7 eyelets instead of the standard 5/2 speed hooks? Tough luck, bro. You have to get a MTO because...because why, huh? In 6-8 weeks you can't pop 4 speed hooks off the uppers? Or is it because you don't have the boots in-house until it's ready to ship?

I get if it's a finished, in-stock boot and you just don't want to add the labor, but they're Built To Order. Shouldn't that mean they're "built" after a customer orders them?

I also heard directly from a popular retailer that he informed them no more wholesale orders would be allowed. Maybe he's standardizing his lineup, right? But why would you shut down ALL wholesale orders? Custom or otherwise.

Honestly, I'd like some answers because Truman is charging 2019 Viberg prices, putting out what would be seconds at Viberg and there are zero transparency into his mfg process. For instance, I was unaware he used foam until my friend showed me a recent teardown video, then we both tore one of our pairs down to see...sure enough, foam instead of cork.

After 7 pairs of Truman's, I'm over this. I loved the style. The fit is fantastic for me, but I'm not getting any value at current prices when I play QC lottery with boots and get what looks like scrap leathers from tanneries he doesn't always name. That's just the reality. YMMV.

RossM

Reaction score
I love my four pair of Truman boots.
Two bought new (one stitchdown and one 270 flat welt), and two bought second hand (one stitchdown and one 270 flat welt).
I consider Truman Boots especially good value for the price.

roz77

Reaction score
Anyone here that is an E width regularly, but takes a EE for Truman? I'm normally a 10E, and I have a pair from Truman that are a 10D in their 79 last (on their advice) that are still just a shade too tight (and my heel slips). I have a pair in the 79 last in a 10EE on their way that I really hope work (because it was the MTO in the Stone Rambler leather that I've wanted for a long time) but a part of me is afraid that a 10EE might be too wide. We'll see though.

Truman did tell me that their 20 last has a slightly larger toebox than the 79 last (with a slightly narrower heel), so I have a pair of their Ready Made boots in a 10D in the 20 last on their way to me in the next few days for testing purposes.

I have also toyed with the idea of seeing if a 9.5EE would work. Only issue with that plan is that I can only return that for store credit if it doesn't fit (because of the EE width), and if it doesn't fit, I'm kind of running out of options for Truman sizes that do work for me that I could use the store credit on.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here that is an E width regularly, but takes a EE for Truman? I'm normally a 10E, and I have a pair from Truman that are a 10D in their 79 last (on their advice) that are still just a shade too tight (and my heel slips). I have a pair in the 79 last in a 10EE on their way that I really hope work (because it was the MTO in the Stone Rambler leather that I've wanted for a long time) but a part of me is afraid that a 10EE might be too wide. We'll see though.

Truman did tell me that their 20 last has a slightly larger toebox than the 79 last (with a slightly narrower heel), so I have a pair of their Ready Made boots in a 10D in the 20 last on their way to me in the next few days for testing purposes.

I have also toyed with the idea of seeing if a 9.5EE would work. Only issue with that plan is that I can only return that for store credit if it doesn't fit (because of the EE width), and if it doesn't fit, I'm kind of running out of options for Truman sizes that do work for me that I could use the store credit on.

I tried a EE from them and it felt only slightly wider, so it may work for you. I also tried the 20 last, which I love the looks of (just enough sprung toe without any hint of clown shoe), and I did not find it any wider in the toebox at all than the 79. I think there is more room vertically with the sprung toe, so it appears to have more volume, but width felt if anything slightly tighter than a D in the same size.

roz77

Reaction score
I tried a EE from them and it felt only slightly wider, so it may work for you. I also tried the 20 last, which I love the looks of (just enough sprung toe without any hint of clown shoe), and I did not find it any wider in the toebox at all than the 79. I think there is more room vertically with the sprung toe, so it appears to have more volume, but width felt if anything slightly tighter than a D in the same size.

Yeah the website says that the 79 and 20 lasts fit the same, so I was a bit skeptical when the rep I was chatting with told me that the 20 last would fit wider.

Fingers crossed on the EE though, at the very least your comment will probably get me to stop worrying as much until I get the boots.

Lem87

Reaction score
I have one pair of trumans and that will be it. The problem with truman's fit is that the 20 last is the only one thats truely wide in the toe. I dont like it because it is a sprung toe last which looks goofy, upturned, to me. I have broad toes and a 10EE doesn't quite accomodate them in the 79 last until the leather heats up with use. (It's a 2 piece joined toe cap and doesn't stretch like a normal plain toe vamp) I am also a 10.5 E. 10E viberg 2030 10.5d wolverine with the half size of room in the length but not the width. Bought an autumn cxl 79 cap toe while they were still using the leather. Narrow for what I would like but can still wear them with a pair of dress socks. Keep in mind that the 79 is a dress boot last being built with rugged leather and sole choices. If you have wider than the average foot anywhere in the anatomy of it but the heel, the fit will be uncomfortable no matter what because it was never meant to accomodate people with truely wide feet. Coming to a conclusion that they cant please everyone, Truman is targeting a much more focused customer base than other companies. I'm not it and im also a 10.5E. Don't get me wrong, my boot passed my inspection, I just never would have bought it had I known the top view looks so low volume and narrow from the point of view of someone with wide feet and with such a limited return policy available from this company. Going back, I would have probably preferred to buy a whites mp cap in british tan over what I now have, knowing it would be wider with a competitively sleek profile lol. Good luck, maybe you'll have a better experience with your feet possibly being more narrow than mine. (by a smidge)

Last edited:

RossM

Reaction score
Too bad you can't wear Truman Boots. I love my 4 pairs: 2 plain toes - 79 last, one cap toe - 79 last , and one cap toe - 20 last.

I find the 20 last has less of a sprung toe side profile than my Viberg 310.

Hopefully you will find a last that is good for your feet.

Lem87

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, the autumn chromexcel is nice but I think truman needs to revisit the widths they offer if they are going to do restricted built to order boots they basically only offer in a C, a D, and an EE. That makes me wonder how they can get away with such a conditional return policy, given C and EE are considered "custom non-refundable orders"

RossM

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, the autumn chromexcel is nice but I think truman needs to revisit the widths they offer if they are going to do restricted built to order boots they basically only offer in a C, a D, and an EE. That makes me wonder how they can get away with such a conditional return policy, given C and EE are considered "custom non-refundable orders"
Ah ...I understand. I've never order custom. Proper fitting footwear is so important. Good luck.

Lem87

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if I have upset an employee, given the prickly gaslighting and what looks like figuratively rhetorical responses. You would not happen to share a foot size in common with me would you? After all, I was attempting to help someone make a decision, based on something I have in common with the person. How about Roz77? Are you attempting to be helpful to him or just salving your own ego for some reason?

All brand loyalty aside, other brands are helpful for comparison. I know truman is not the only shoe you wear. They dont aim to be that versatile to begin with. My turn.

Are you a brannock 10E? 10.5E? Have you purchased a 10EE in the 79 last?

Do you have wide feet?

Does the 79 last have more heel volume than you actually need given how prominent it is? Is the vamp almost too narrow at the toe?

Do you know what you need to buy to successfully fit the boot in a case where a D width clearly is not wide enough for your foot?

You seem to be an expert RossM, four Truman shoes to my one! All D width. Bravo brother. Very constructive.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads