• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Any thoughts on recent Truman sizing? I see advice for TTS to Brannock and .5 down. I'm a 10 in 2030/1035, but would prefer a wide on both of those. I also see some references to a tight instep, so not sure if I should go wide. Thanks for any help.
They fixed the instep. If you’re a 10 2030/1035, go a 10.5 on the 79 last. Can’t comment on their newer lasts.

If the 1035 feels tight width wise, you‘ll feel similar in the 79. I think they offer EE width though.

DG123

Reaction score
It might, if you'd like to be cautious, I'd email Truman, but I'm sure it would take a high shine.

I'm more of a 10 D/E on brannock, although, I personally don't like going by brannock but I went a .5 size down. I'm generally a 10 tts and 9.5 for a generous fitting last. If I were to get another pair of Trumans which I might some time down the road, I'd go wide to accommodate for thick socks. I tried a 9.5 and 10 on the P79 and exchange the 10 for a 9.5. 10 felt a tad long for my left foot; my shorter foot. I could wear thick socks in the 9.5, but after some hours my right foot feels a bit snug. Hope this helps. I'd own more Trumans if they had more patterns since I like the P79 and the continuity of leather additions. In my experience, MTOs take about less than 16 weeks or close to it if it's stitchdown and their stock offerings about 8 weeks. They're responsive to order inquiries as well, yet being mindful they're a small ass shop.

I've noticed in other threads you've worn Indy boots. If you don't mind, please compare your sizing for Indy boot (Alden Truebalance last) versus the Truman 79 last. Thanks :)

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed in other threads you've worn Indy boots. If you don't mind, please compare your sizing for Indy boot (Alden Truebalance last) versus the Truman 79 last. Thanks :)
I wear a 9.5D in Trubalance with thin - medium thickness, if I wanna go full-on thick with the Trubalance, then I'd need a 9.5E.
Truman's 79 last I've tried and worn 10D and 9.5D and I prefer the 9.5D.
10D - width was great, my foot did feel a tad lose width-wise, but it was summer and I was wearing thin socks, so I didn't mind that aspect. My left is about .25ish shorter than my right foot and the boot was unstructured in the toe area, so when I'd walk and my left foot was at its full bending point in my stride, I also felt the toe cap flexing which should not. I spoke to Truman about this and at the end of the conversation, we both agreed I needed a 9.5D. So, the 10D was a bit long for my left foot.
9.5D - Length is excellent for both feet, but I can't wear them with medium-thick socks, which are about 75% of my socks. I have a pair with an unstructured toe box and a structured toe box. I noticed there's more space in the unstructured toe box for my right pinky toe. I could wear both pairs for hours with no issues. The only downfall is I'm limited in socks I can use; since Truman prefers to do their boots online, which is also a preference for some boots, my feet get cold easily during the cold season.

Regarding width, the Trubalance is a tad roomier than the 79; I find the Trubalance D width roomy, not generous. If the width of the Trubalance is generous enough for you, then the 79 D width is fine.
Length, I don't notice much of a difference.

I'm eyeing the horsebutt leathers they're currently offering as MTOs, I really regret not doing the natural, but whatever Truman boot I get next will be in 9.5EE or whatever their wide width option is. In accommodation for thicker socks and a roomier fit.
White boot is structured and the other unstructured
1A3312CB-6B20-4041-983C-BC974EF33293.jpeg

DG123

Reaction score
Regarding width, the Trubalance is a tad roomier than the 79; I find the Trubalance D width roomy, not generous. If the width of the Trubalance is generous enough for you, then the 79 D width is fine.
Length, I don't notice much of a difference.

View attachment 1692567

Thank for the comprehensive and helpful reply. My Indy-Truebalance size is 12.5B (B=narrow). So if I am reading you right my Truman 79 proper size is likely the same, 12.5B. Truman's website order form does read "if you think you need a B width
send us an email", so I guess that means a B width is something they can do but perhaps with a thicker insole rather than the company having an actual B width last available.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank for the comprehensive and helpful reply. My Indy-Truebalance size is 12.5B (B=narrow). So if I am reading you right my Truman 79 proper size is likely the same, 12.5B. Truman's website order form does read "if you think you need a B width
send us an email", so I guess that means a B width is something they can do but perhaps with a thicker insole rather than the company having an actual B width last available.
What kind of socks do you wear? Regarding thickness. If you're a B width, I think a D width in the 79 last should suffice. I don't need a E width in the Trubalance, but if I want to wear thick Darn Tough socks then an E width would be my choice. A D width Trubalance gives me enough room for medium-thick socks, whereas the 79 last in D width I can only wear thin socks and would need their wide width for medium-thick socks.

DG123

Reaction score
What kind of socks do you wear? Regarding thickness. If you're a B width, I think a D width in the 79 last should suffice. I don't need a E width in the Trubalance, but if I want to wear thick Darn Tough socks then an E width would be my choice. A D width Trubalance gives me enough room for medium-thick socks, whereas the 79 last in D width I can only wear thin socks and would need their wide width for medium-thick socks.

For any and all boot footwear I wear very thick socks.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For any and all boot footwear I wear very thick socks.
My opinion is to go with the D width. Order a pair of their Ready-Made or Ready to Ship, so you could know for sure. I think D width should be fine for you.

DG123

Reaction score
My opinion is to go with the D width. Order a pair of their Ready-Made or Ready to Ship, so you could know for sure. I think D width should be fine for you.

I did not realize Truman stocked ready made inventory. It's good business to do so and I may take the opportunity to try a pair.
At White's, Nicks, and Wesco websites I noticed those companies did not maintain an inventory of sizes for immediate shipment.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not realize Truman stocked ready made inventory. It's good business to do so and I may take the opportunity to try a pair.
At White's, Nicks, and Wesco websites I noticed those companies did not maintain an inventory of sizes for immediate shipment.
Truman is still slow in fulfillment from my experience, but they’re prompt in communication. Just an FYI in case you’re eyeing the MTO.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought about the color too. Waiting for delivery from the BF sale now. ?
Man, I was tempted by the java horse booty and some other builds, but I focused more on jackets and shirts than footwear since that's what I actually needed.
What did you get? They had a lot of good stuff and great prices. This year the discounts were much better than 2020.

SumDude

Reaction score
Man, I was tempted by the java horse booty and some other builds, but I focused more on jackets and shirts than footwear since that's what I actually needed.
What did you get? They had a lot of good stuff and great prices. This year the discounts were much better than 2020.

Natural bison and oxblood double shot 2nd's. Hopefully the blem on the 2nd's won't be too bad. Almost did the scuff off but was worried my ocd would not be able to handle that kind of leather. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads