• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im selling a pair of ice kudu Truman's that were a special order from Standard and Strange years ago. Unfortunately they never really fit me, due to my lack of knowledge of sizing (stupid me).

Heres a link for them on ebay:
Out of curiosity, what is your Brannock size?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These bad boys showed up today. I’m in love. View attachment 1539602
I think that's the cattail grizzly? How do you like them?

My Truman boots arrived yesterday, Friday, and the finishing is actually great in comparison to what I've seen online. They're gyw and the welt is immaculate to the point I can't stay upset at them for not doing stitchdown at all anymore.

LeviMay

Reaction score
They are the Cattail Grizzly, yeah. I feel like they’re quite a bit lighter in colour than the website.

I really like the boots, and agree with you; the finishing, in my opinion, is perfect.

I did have a lace break this morning, which is always a p!$$ off, but the boots themselves are awesome.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Desert Oasis Suede boots were delivered this past Friday and I was very pleased. The finishing was pretty immaculate in my opinion until I noticed the strip above the heel counter is slightly uneven, then on one boot, the shaft is slightly uneven. It's negligible for me, but I am going to email them about it since I have a pair of MTO Coach Ramblers that they're still building.

@LeviMay Interesting. I immediately noticed the leather laces seemed thinner than usual and I compared them to a new pair of leather laces from Viberg, and they're substantially thinner.

@smartbrother One of your Truman boots you modified, really motivated me to get this pair. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of brown laces from Pisgah Range laces for these. It might've been a Butterscotch LB collab with Truman.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Desert Oasis Suede boots were delivered this past Friday and I was very pleased. The finishing was pretty immaculate in my opinion until I noticed the strip above the heel counter is slightly uneven, then on one boot, the shaft is slightly uneven. It's negligible for me, but I am going to email them about it since I have a pair of MTO Coach Ramblers that they're still building.

@LeviMay Interesting. I immediately noticed the leather laces seemed thinner than usual and I compared them to a new pair of leather laces from Viberg, and they're substantially thinner.

@smartbrother One of your Truman boots you modified, really motivated me to get this pair. I'm planning on purchasing a pair of brown laces from Pisgah Range laces for these. It might've been a Butterscotch LB collab with Truman.

Yup, that's the pair alright ??

LeviMay

Reaction score
I didn’t even try the leather laces. I’ve had every pair I’ve ever had break on the first wearing. The flat waxed ones broke on the third wearing, which is a bit disappointing, but laces are a pretty cheap fix, so no biggie.
Odd your Truman laces are so much thinner than the Vibergs though.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The leather laces on my Truman squirrel ramblers are the most thin leather laces I've ever used. The leather laces I've gotten from Guarded Goods, Grant Stone, Rancourt, etc have all been far more substantial. Even on handsewn styles. That said I have more pairs of leather laces than I know what to do with so no big deal if they break. They've been solid through 4-5 wears so far.

JSQ1

Reaction score
Looking to pull the trigger on some Truman's but have to ask.
Truman Boots = Fake Vibergs?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly that's what Bret Viberg thought -- he called them out on Instagram or some such interweb venue when they first started. Seems at least partly true, but then again Viberg didn't invent the service boot profile, and Truman seems to have gone there own way to a certain extent since then.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score

at one point I’m time when Vince hand made the pairs, they were a good Viberg alternative.

The two companies are so far apart now it’s not even close.

I’ve purchased Truman 3x since sold them all due to fit and finish.

Their most recent GYW products though seem to have dialed it in. So who knows

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not at circa $300 less per pair, they aren't -- just a lower-priced alternative with different leathers. I'd like to try Trumans at some point if I ever get back to the US. His original shop was near where I grew up and hoped to get there in person but now that they've moved West it's unlikely. FWIW the current Truman lineup looks fabulous, and I saw this as a Viberg owner.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To an extent all service boots and military boots look the same, obviously not to us, but they're essentially the same concept.

I've been following Viberg far much longer than I've been following Truman, and I never viewed Truman as an exclusive cheaper alternative to Viberg. Even more so now, they both have 2 complete different goals. Truman is striving to be apart of PNW logger boot or whatever and wants to be viewed as a true workwear boot, which is kind of funny to me. Opposed to Viberg wanting to be viewed as an atelier and trying is hard af to not be viewed as a workwear company.

JSQ1

Reaction score
To an extent all service boots and military boots look the same, obviously not to us, but they're essentially the same concept.

I've been following Viberg far much longer than I've been following Truman, and I never viewed Truman as an exclusive cheaper alternative to Viberg. Even more so now, they both have 2 complete different goals. Truman is striving to be apart of PNW logger boot or whatever and wants to be viewed as a true workwear boot, which is kind of funny to me. Opposed to Viberg wanting to be viewed as an atelier and trying is hard af to not be viewed as a workwear company.

This is a good point as Viberg once rugged and a manly mans brand have gone the soft handed online route to the whiny type of buyer who cries when their hand is not held during and after the purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads