• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think those are black horse rump. Wish I had gotten in on the Truman Navy MTO. Unfortunately, I had already bought a pair of Fugashin horsehide boots which I'm not too happy with.
Damn your navy came in already? I haven't even got my Toscanello yet. They look great.

Thanks. Yes, these are the black. Very well executed I must say. If they don’t sell I’ll try stretching them out.
E75DE566-83CC-4277-8BC5-C650B934D2AD.jpeg 1EF479EA-B553-40EE-96EB-7B7ADE891BFD.jpeg

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think those are black horse rump. Wish I had gotten in on the Truman Navy MTO. Unfortunately, I had already bought a pair of Fugashin navy horsehide boots which I'm not too happy with.
Pics? Never heard of that brand

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Pics? Never heard of that brand

They're a Vietnamese shoemaker. Was having trouble finding anyone who made navy horsehide boots even among other Vietnamese bootmakers who I messaged but finally came across them. They well overshot the expected delivery date, had to remake my boots due to an "accident", didn't have the original requested sole in stock and when these finally arrived, they had the most awful, noxious smell and kinda still do though not as bad. I have absolutely no faith in the tongue, either, which feels flimsier than my $200 Thursday boots.

Its entirely possible I'm being too harsh on them though. They did "only" cost 350, are fully lined, and responded quickly to emails. I doubt I could sell these on ebay so I'll just make do with them.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're a Vietnamese shoemaker. Was having trouble finding anyone who made navy horsehide boots even among other Vietnamese bootmakers who I messaged but finally came across them. They well overshot the expected delivery date, had to remake my boots due to an "accident", didn't have the original requested sole in stock and when these finally arrived, they had the most awful, noxious smell and kinda still do though not as bad. I have absolutely no faith in the tongue, either, which feels flimsier than my $200 Thursday boots.

Its entirely possible I'm being too harsh on them though. They did "only" cost 350, are fully lined, and responded quickly to emails. I doubt I could sell these on ebay so I'll just make do with them.

Oh damn ?

How do they fit?

You can purchase navy Horween horsebutt and send it to Bakers Boots and they can have Wesco or Whites build any model they make.

It'll be more than $350 though.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Oh damn ?

How do they fit?

You can purchase navy Horween horsebutt and send it to Bakers Boots and they can have Wesco or Whites build any model they make.

It'll be more than $350 though.

Haven't worn them for long but they feel fine. The lined leather really helps it and they got the sizing just right based on telling them my sizing in other boots.

Yeah, managed to source some from Maverick leather not too long ago. Will probably go that route for a pair of Navy Wesco Engineer boots built like their Mister Lou sometime early-mid next year.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't worn them for long but they feel fine. The lined leather really helps it and they got the sizing just right based on telling them my sizing in other boots.

Yeah, managed to source some from Maverick leather not too long ago. Will probably go that route for a pair of Navy Wesco Engineer boots built like their Mister Lou sometime early-mid next year.

Nice. I got my HB from Maverick as well for a pair of Wesco Johannes. Supposed to have had a double mid so they are redoing it for me this week.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Nice. I got my HB from Maverick as well for a pair of Wesco Johannes. Supposed to have had a double mid so they are redoing it for me this week.

Nice! Will you post a review anywhere once they arrive? Got a pair of Brown HH Hendriks being built now though I got the leather through Bakers.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Will you post a review anywhere once they arrive? Got a pair of Brown HH Hendriks being built now though I got the leather through Bakers.
Yea I'll post on the Wesco thread here. I'm going to compare them to my Viberg natural HB boondockers

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I had a pair of Marrone boots rebuilt recently by Truman and I couldn’t be happier. I bought the boots back in 2016 or 2017. I waited over 20 weeks for them at the time so I did everything possible to make them work but in the end I just ordered the wrong size. Truman has made some changes to the footbed that are definite improvements. My boots turned out much better than I expected and definitely exceeded expectations. I ended up paying more for these boots than I expected overall because I bought the wrong size and I’ve got a narrow foot so getting the fit right can be tough to begin with. That said, final result is an amazing product. The team at Truman was responsive. The work was completed quickly and they were returned within a couple weeks. Based on my experience, if you want the boots to fit well, buy the boots in the smallest size shoes you own that fit well. I have another pair of their boots that I may ask them to rebuild because the fit is so much better with these.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
I had a pair of Marrone boots rebuilt recently by Truman and I couldn’t be happier. I bought the boots back in 2016 or 2017. I waited over 20 weeks for them at the time so I did everything possible to make them work but in the end I just ordered the wrong size. Truman has made some changes to the footbed that are definite improvements. My boots turned out much better than I expected and definitely exceeded expectations. I ended up paying more for these boots than I expected overall because I bought the wrong size and I’ve got a narrow foot so getting the fit right can be tough to begin with. That said, final result is an amazing product. The team at Truman was responsive. The work was completed quickly and they were returned within a couple weeks. Based on my experience, if you want the boots to fit well, buy the boots in the smallest size shoes you own that fit well. I have another pair of their boots that I may ask them to rebuild because the fit is so much better with these.

For example, most shoes I wear are 8.5 US. The only shoes I wear that are 7.5 US are Vans that I only wear without socks or no-show socks. Truman at 8.5 were entirely too big. 8 fit with ski socks. The 7.5B Truman fit awesome and I’m sure they will still be great with thick socks.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For example, most shoes I wear are 8.5 US. The only shoes I wear that are 7.5 US are Vans that I only wear without socks or no-show socks. Truman at 8.5 were entirely too big. 8 fit with ski socks. The 7.5B Truman fit awesome and I’m sure they will still be great with thick socks.
What is your brannock size?

Vans typically fit TTS, so I'm guessing your brannock is 7.5, so no surprise that a 7.5 Truman would fit much better than an 8 or 8.5.

Last edited:

edgarallanpoe

Reaction score
I picked these up earlier this week. Stunning. The leather is gorgeous and the stitching is impeccable. Umber Cowhide. The leather is a veg tanned cowhide from Italy. I can't say enough about these, they are a steal at this price. I have a pair of Stone Ramblers on the way as well.

Attachments

• Truman.jpg
    Truman.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 331

LeviMay

Reaction score
Those look great! I was up in the air between those and the Cattail Grizzly Upland. I went with the latter, but looks like I wouldn’t have gone wrong either way.

miggyramone

Reaction score
How does the toe box on Truman's P79 lat compare to the toe bo on Grant Stone's Leo Last? I found the toe box on GS's to be too tight height wise. The tops of my toes always felt smushed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads