• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I wish I lived in Colorado...sounds like what Truman needs is an old fart who has been around the block a few decades that has worked with customers for the better part of 25+ years to handle the communication end. At 47 yrs old I would certainly qualify as a geezer there. If he would have just stayed in PA!

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they were definitely in Oakland over the weekend. No assumption there.

I am assuming that it's human nature to sometimes over promise and under deliver. Happens to most, if not all, of us from time to time. It's the planning fallacy.

I stand fully prepared to be proven wrong, and I'll post it here if I am!

You seemed to be alluding to the fact that they were farting around instead of making boots over the weekend. If I mis-read that, apologies. If that was your intent, then I think it is pretty unfair to them.

I'm waiting for a pair of marrone derbys from a day-1 order, and while I'm anxious to have them, I'm not going to take swipes at them, at least undeserved ones.

This is kind of a giggle compared to Alden, a much-larger company that can have orders on the hook for 4-6 months or even years in some cases.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wish I lived in Colorado...sounds like what Truman needs is an old fart who has been around the block a few decades that has worked with customers for the better part of 25+ years to handle the communication end. At 47 yrs old I would certainly qualify as a geezer there. If he would have just stayed in PA!

It looks like they've got a good thing going. And good for them. Why not have business also be fun?

You seemed to be alluding to the fact that they were farting around instead of making boots over the weekend.  If I mis-read that, apologies.  If that was your intent, then I think it is pretty unfair to them.

I'm waiting for a pair of marrone derbys from a day-1 order, and while I'm anxious to have them, I'm not going to take swipes at them, at least undeserved ones.

This is kind of a giggle compared to Alden, a much-larger company that can have orders on the hook for 4-6 months or even years in some cases.  

The were there to sell boots and support a retailer, and have some fun in the course of doing it, so good on them.

You are certainly right that it's a giggle compared to Alden. Alden's inability or lack of interest in meeting demand in a reasonable way is one good reason I've moved on from them. There are lots of other places to get great, ethically made shoes without having to play by Alden's current rules.

Wesco and Nicks take quite a long time to fulfill orders these days too. So it's par for the course.

But I suppose it would have been most charitable not even to bring it up.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gents, thanks for the thoughts on Truman sizing a few weeks ago. After some thoughtful help from Charles, I placed an order for Clayton black waxed flesh on commando in 10EE, with an adjustment that they think will be helpful for my wide feet. With any luck, I'll get some time with them this winter. :)

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Considering the Truman guys spent this past weekend selling preorders on boots in Oakland, I'll be a little bit surprised if we hear about people getting Marrone shipping notices this week.......

This may be a separate topic but I am currently waiting on the first pair of Truman boots I have ordered. The quote above mentions something about shipping notices. From those who have purchased from Truman in the past, do you receive some kind of shipping notice, to let you know the boots have left the factory and when to expect them or do they just show up one day? Ever since I saw Truman Boot's note on Instagram that they had started to ship the marrone orders, I have been checking my P.O. box daily.

brandall10

Reaction score

Well, they were definitely in Oakland over the weekend. No assumption there.

I am assuming that it's human nature to sometimes over promise and under deliver. Happens to most, if not all, of us from time to time. It's the planning fallacy.

I stand fully prepared to be proven wrong, and I'll post it here if I am!

FWIW, I got my Navy shells after 15 weeks, they messed up the order (structured toe when specified unstructured), said the rebuild would be 4 weeks, and now it's closing in on 9.

I sent an email over two weeks ago asking for an update. No response. Sent another email 6 days ago, no response. Called on Friday and left a message, no response.

On the plus side they were very responsive taking the boots back and setting up the rebuild. Hopefully things settle down a bit soon.

Last edited:

Matthew Cruz

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm going to repeat what I've said in the past. This is a very different situation from an Alden order. Alden preorders always come with the disclaimer that there is no guarantee of when you'll receive your stuff. Truman should never set an expectation of 13 weeks when it's really more like 20+ weeks. It's all about expectations. I think we can all agree here if we were told from the beginning the boots would take 1 year, we would all wait patiently.

Whirling

Reaction score
Truman needs to extend the lead times they advertise until they meet them with 98% of the boots.

That said, they aren't exceptional in missing targeted delivery dates...I have had it happen to me with Nick's and Dayton.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Truman needs to extend the lead times they advertise until they meet them with 98% of the boots.

That said, they aren't exceptional in missing targeted delivery dates...I have had it happen to me with Nick's and Dayton.

I had Dayton apparently forget about my last order, send me an email 10 or 12 weeks later saying oh we're getting right on it, and then take another 6 weeks to get me the shoes. So, yes. :)

Hungarian shoe makers seem to stick to their schedules pretty well. In fact, last order I got from a smaller maker there came in ahead of schedule. I think they wanted to get it out before they went on vacation. Perfectly made shoes too. So on the other hand, lead times don't have to be fiction.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I wasn't really addressing their communication, though I will say the open-ended nature of Alden is more frustrating to me - at least with Truman I know generally when I should start expecting things. Mainly I thought it was an unfair allusion to them wasting their time on a weekend doing a trunk show vs. building more Marrone shoes/boots.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about that comment by the way, and I totally understand people who are anxiously awaiting their stuff (as I am), wishing for better/more accurate communication, etc.. I'm just trying to factor how small they are the good things I've heard about them into my thinking about the situation.

I'll shut up now ;)

Whirling

Reaction score

I had Dayton apparently forget about my last order, send me an email 10 or 12 weeks later saying oh we're getting right on it, and then take another 6 weeks to get me the shoes. So, yes. :)

Hungarian shoe makers seem to stick to their schedules pretty well. In fact, last order I got from a smaller maker there came in ahead of schedule. I think they wanted to get it out before they went on vacation. Perfectly made shoes too. So on the other hand, lead times don't have to be fiction.

In the past year, I have had all my MTOs come in on-time or early from White's, Wesco, Russell Moccasin, and Viberg work boots.

gte872h

Reaction score

Quote:
That sounds like an awful experience. Maybe they didn't have the leather available for the remake. Did they give you some kind of explanation?
They could be doing a little bit better with communications and managing expectations. In this case, turning a promised two weeks in to 12 without any explanation (even if they are doing you the favor of a sizing remake), doesn't make for a very happy customer experience. Same with the Marrone leather. If the supply is slow, let us know. Considering the Truman guys spent this past weekend selling preorders on boots in Oakland, I'll be a little bit surprised if we hear about people getting Marrone shipping notices this week. Buy hey, maybe it will happen. :)
Charles has been great at answering my emails. The latest I heard last week is that they are made but need to be finished. According to Charles they were lasted a month ago. The last couple of months I keep hearing they will go out next week, which is the frustrating part. I understood the 2 week expedited remake would not be realistic and I know they are busy growing the business. I'm just antsy I guess. When I originally placed my order they didn't have the double JR sole as an option and I didn't try to switch soles so that the process took any longer. After the initial sizing didn't work out I made the switch to JR soles. I keep telling myself that all the waiting will be worth it in the end to be able to have my grail boot. Not many places allow this level of MTO, which is probably why I should just wait patiently for them to arrive.

TheRiblet

Reaction score
Do you receive an email or anything, letting you know the boots are on their way or do they just show up on your doorstep one day? I honestly don't care either way and this isn't a feature I am requesting, just trying to figure out if their message on Instagram about the boots being shipped soon means I could get them any day now or not to get too excited until I receive some form of notification.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads