1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Truman Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gfloridafan93, Jan 5, 2015.

1. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

Thanks for the input. I'm sorry I asked in this thread. I sent some PMs afterwards.

I saw on IG yesterday how Vince was working the weekend. I wanted to point out yesterday how much they have grown in the past year. I sort of feel bad about complaining on the wait times since I know they are feeling the pressure and are working hard.

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Yeah - small business,1700+ mile move and a lot of growth is sure to cause some bumps in the road, but an MTO business by some good guys gives me a fair chunk of patience. :)

3. biglmbass

biglmbass Active Member

Absolutely and better yet shut down new orders if a particular leather is delayed in coming from the manufacturer. It just makes good business sense and leads to happier customers.

4. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Agree on the customer side but not necessarily on the business side. Cash flow.

5. mike1742

mike1742 Member

They are taking 15 plus weeks to ship stuff while making ready made stuff all day!

6. mike1742

mike1742 Member

7. mike1742

mike1742 Member

Guys I ordered some waxed flesh derbys....now week 11....

8. rbarthel

rbarthel Senior member

I wish their in stock boots were a little more interesting, but I get it. They use common, easily sourced leathers and a basic makeup which probably allows an assembly-line-like construction of stock boots and most likely that process/equipment can't be shifted to MTO boot construction without a lot of time and work (incurring both outright costs and opportunity costs).

9. mike1742

mike1742 Member

I have been there it's a really small operation.
    Glad they are doing well but making people make 10 weeks won't work as a business model

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Except Alden has been doing it for forever, especially for any non-standard makeup. There are people who literally wait years for certain makeups, and that doesn't even have to mean rare shell - I've got a deposit on a pair that is mid-2018 at the earliest and it is CXL Just like my derbies, I knew going in that there would be a significant wait.

An MTO pair of shoes/boots in 10-13 weeks isn't out of the ordinary - I think the main thing is communication and expectation-setting. Yeah, the derbies have slid out, and some proactive communication would have been a good idea, but I think they've just hit a combination of things that have bumped everything to the right.

In any case, I'm not trying to counterpoint everyone, but I do wish people would stop trying to infer how things work there, how long it should take, what they're spending their time on, etc. We're waiting and some of us are overdue (they've been quoting 12-13 weeks for a while now, so anyone griping at 10 weeks is just piling on IMHO), but let's try not to over-think it. As I've said, I'm also in the Day 1 group for the derbies, and I can't wait to see them, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're doing everything they can to get things done without sacrificing quality. I'm going to stop posting on this particular topic.

1 person likes this.
  11. mike1742

mike1742 Member

Appreciate your counter point. Agreed some communication pro actively would be nice.
    Aldens are a special shoe usually the waits are on Shell Cordovan as an owner of 8 pairs of Aldens .. those have been worth the wait on everyone. This will be my first pair of Trumans so will reserve judgement if they are as good as Aldens and worth the wait. Lets hope we get the Derbys before Christmas and we really enjoy them. Have a great day.

12. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

I'll just keep saying it, perspective.

I waited 8 months for the Nick's on my feet. Nick's is a way bigger operation. I have read that Wesco wait times have been going on for multiple months as well. Both those operations are far bigger than Truman.

I don't even own a pair of Truman's nor do I know the man, but you guys really need to get a grip. And ........ welcome to the MTO game.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  13. mike1742

mike1742 Member

Thank you for your candor.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. q1445

q1445 Active Member

If any one is looking for an 11.5 coyote roughout let me know.

[​IMG]

16. bobilbob

bobilbob New Member

Curious people's thoughts on my Truman Brown CXL stock boots that I received a few weeks ago. I'll fully admit that I'm new to boots and this type of construction, but to me, the right and left boots have different silhouettes. I believe this was caused by the right boots being trimmed extremely close on the inside while the left boots were kept rather squared off. I don't want to bother Truman if this is nothing so I figured I'd ask you all.

https://postimg.org/image/i0s9aw4hd/
    https://postimg.org/image/hpasy4o1d/

17. TheRiblet

TheRiblet Active Member

I'm assuming that if anyone here had received any of those marrone orders Truman said they were shipping out a few weeks ago they would they would have said something or posted pictures here. I'm hoping to get mine by Christmas. I was thinking about ordering another pair this year, and still may, but I will wait until summer.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Typically people will not click links so better to put images in the post - take a single pic of them next to each...Also you might want to watch a video of how boots are made...perhaps a few Brian the Bootmaker Videos and you will see the amount of hand trimming that go into it. Once you see what is involved you start to see these things with a different view. Now if it is terrible...different story...I will say I have Vibergs were the toes of the sole are slightly different shapes and the stitchdown runs close on one boot and far on the other.

From those pictures I think they look fine

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  19. Matthew Cruz

Matthew Cruz Senior member

I think these look fine. They look pretty good IMO.

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

brown waxed flesh today...held up well to punting some footballs to my son.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.