1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Truman Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gfloridafan93, Jan 5, 2015.

1. crackedleather

crackedleather New Member

Truman's first week of work.
    Absolutely loving them so far. Haven't worn my RW's since these came in.

After day one, natural stone retaining wall:
    [​IMG]

Lunch day three, rock removal and grading for a bioswale:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else use their Trumans this hard?

2 people like this.
  2. Whirling

Whirling Senior member

Looks good! I am afraid I don't use mine that hard, but it is nice to see someone who puts them through their paces. Would you describe which leather and which sole you got on them? How do you clean and maintain them, if you do?

3. crackedleather

crackedleather New Member

Coyote Roughout
    -Commado Sole
    -Size 11
    -Cap Toe
    -Remove Pull Tab
    -7 Eyelets
    -Antique Brass
    -Structured

Picture from the first day:
    [​IMG]

I only recently received them and have not cleaned them as of yet. The roughout seems to shed dirt and mud more readily than smooth leather.

For weekend use in the past I have cleaned off work boots with warm water and a horsehair brush. Rubbing excess water off with a towel, then leaving them open to dry, applying mink oil or conditioner and using shoe trees as necessary. However I'm still undecided on the cleaning regimen for tor these boots.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

My trumans got a scuff when I dropped one while putting it in my shoe rack...was like a three foot fall!!!!...LOL that is about how much rough work mine see...Although I do anticipate that changing as I get ready over the next month or so to thin my boot & shoe rotation in a big way...wardrobe needs have changed somewhat so this will be a good time to really look at what is getting worn. Going to be very tough to do.

5. Matthew Cruz

Matthew Cruz Senior member

Haven't posted here in a while. Here's an update of the high wear areas on my coyote rough out trumans. The Christy sole has been amazingly durable considering how rough I am on these boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also a shot on my feet. They pretty much go perfectly with any pair of jeans.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. limbas

limbas Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking to get a boot from Truman, I have been looking through the thread for a guide.
    Regarding the leather, I'm torn between horse hide and CXL. I heard CXL tends to stretch, and I wanted something tough. But the cost of horse hide is more. My budget is $450 so both are over but I'm willing to spend more if need be.
    So will CXL really stretch till it gets a looser fit? I'm planning to use it throughout my college years so was looking for something that is tough.
    What do you guys think about Chromepak?

Another problem I have is with sizing. I have a RW Foreman Chukka in size 7 and Thorogood in 7.5. For RW there is a bit of slip even in socks that is thicker than normal but its not too lose., whereas for the Thorogood it is slightly bigger. I contacted Truman and they recommend me to go with size 7.5. Reading through the thread most seem to go down half a size or to true size, so not sure about going 7.5. Could you help me on this. I'm fine with going with 7.5 but have to wait to get the exchange if its too big.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Ordered a pair of the derbies in horsehide. Went with the RLH sole, blind eyelets, structured toe.

@limbas Both horsehide and CXL should be plenty sturdy. Yes, CXL tends to have a good amount of stretch and that could lead to a looser fit over time. How much so depends on the fit to begin with (super helpful answer right? :)).

Chromepak might be the toughest of the three choices though. It's definitely the least refined choice of the three, in my experience.

Important note: I only have Trumans in waxed flesh, so can't speak directly to how they do any of these three leathers. That's another choice for you though: Waxed flesh is plenty tough and wears in really nicely.

Can't help of the sizing question unfortunately. I'm sure someone else here can.

1 person likes this.
  8. limbas

limbas Member

Think, I'm going to save for the horsehide. Regarding fit, I must say Yes! For CXL I guess you can have a snug fit to account for the stretching. Bought a OSB Trail Oxford but haven't tried it on as I sent it to my dorm and I'm back home now.

Speaking of waxed flesh, will it get scuffs and scratches easily? I live in NYC and my school is in Buffalo, and the weather are terrible during winter. So i was looking for something that is tough and won't be easily affected by rain. The Java looked great but not sure how it is going to behave.

Thanks @FRANKCOWPERWOOD for the help!

9. peachairfreshen

peachairfreshen Member

If it helps, Charles @ Truman has said on /r/goodyearwelt and via email that the Marrone horsehide is one of his favorite leathers that he's worked with and to say that if he were to only have one boot, that it would be that one. I'm guessing he's speaking to its versatility in both style and use. He said that the horsehide will stretch a little, but I don't think it's to the level of CXL.

As for sizing, I'm not too familiar with RW's 210 last or Thorogoods--do you have other shoes you've tried on that you can compare to? I would be confident with the sizing advice that Truman gives you, though.

Edit: I just found Whirling's post on the Viberg thread and I think it's very helpful to keep in mind.
    Quote:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  10. limbas

limbas Member

Charles was the one who told me to go for 7.5. Think I have to just follow his lead.

Not sure this is helpful, but i wear 7.5 in Nike Air Max. I checked my Brannock sizing at RW and Alden store, and both gave me different sizing leading to more confusion.
    I was close to 6.9 with socks at RW while I was between 7-7.5 at Alden store.

11. thomasB

thomasB Well-Known Member

Derby + RLH sole sounds like a cool combo. Requesting pics when you get em!

12. FrankCowperwood

Will post pics.
    :slayer:

Edit: Emailed Truman to confirm and these derbies are on the same last as the boots. I went with my boot size.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  13. limbas

limbas Member

Just placed an order on Marrone + Dainite + Speedhook +Structred

Let the waiting game begin!

14. FrankCowperwood

Good choices. I think you'll be very happy with those boots.

15. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Senior member

Just an FYI for people who have low arches and large volume around their ankle bone, if you get a captoe as well as gussetted tongue it will be a super tight fit in the vamp area. My natural dublins are slowly stretching out. I was only able to wear dress socks for about the first 5 times wearing them. I saw later that I could ask for no lining to decrease the thickness of the vamp.
    I might have to add arch supports if i can find something that I like to stick inside them.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

How long ago did you order? If I recall the natural Dublin was prior to the lasting change..I could be wrong...My 13 blue madrones are really roomy while my original pair are very tight...the new lasting actually has me considering going down to a 12.5 for boots I want to wear normal socks with.

17. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Senior member

I ordered Dec 2015 and got it end of April 2016. I was considering to size up to a 10 but it might be too long once its stretched out but I most likely could wear my wool socks with it. Only tight place for me is the vamp area which I don't see too many making a fuss about anyways. I guess I'm the outlier when it comes to that.

While I like the boots, I think I expected a little more finishing and better customer service regarding my order. So I will continue to wear my pair and debate if I would order again from Truman.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  18. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

RE: Derbys

Be nice to have a derby with a lactea sole.

They look a little wide for my tastes but might just be the photos. Would also prefer a captoe option.

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I emailed Vince about the captoe...when I hear back wiLL let you know.

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Sorry to hear about the issues with yours...my pairs have been stellar and are better finished than several of my vibergs. For me it is just needing a new style at this point. I have a ton of service boots across a few brands.

I really need to sell a whole bunch of stuff.