• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

CityofChamps

Reaction score
Viberg has gone to goodyear welt on a lot of there "trickier" leathers. There is less chance of scratching the leather with that type of machine. They are also making 20,000 or so boots a year, whereas Vince at Truman is making 1,000 stitchdown. I don't own a pair of Truman boots yet, but had a great talk with Vince about his shop and process.

Shalomp

Reaction score

is one of the reasons for shifting to GYW the complaints of scratches on the leather?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are a lot fewer errors using a GYW machine, and leathers that don't flex well are less likely to crack. This is the reason upcoming shell boots are likely to be Goodyear welted, since stitchdown requires the upper be turn inside out and back several times, which results in shell breaking and a significant loss.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, I really like these old style boots. Wildland firefighters all wear Whites, and thats what I'd do I'm the field. What Viberg offers is a wider vision, more and honestly, more casual wear lasts, leather options (huge plus imo), and more sole options. But yeah, if you want a pure workboot, these are nice options.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a pair in the waxed flesh coming. Vince had been very accommodating to work with. If they boots work well for me, I could see getting the natural Dublin as well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Can anyone compare sizing vs Viberg 2030 last or Alden?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vince says true to size and in the end I think that will be right for me. 11D Alden, 11 Viberg 1035. Getting Truman 11.5, though I obviously have yet to try them on to know for sure if this is correct.

gambit402

Reaction score

Vince says true to size and in the end I think that will be right for me. 11D Alden, 11 Viberg 1035. Getting Truman 11.5, though I obviously have yet to try them on to know for sure if this is correct.

Can you let us know how the sizing is when you get them? Interested in the waxed flesh as well. I like it in the work boot style more than the sleek for this leather.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you let us know how the sizing is when you get them? Interested in the waxed flesh as well. I like it in the work boot style more than the sleek for this leather.

Got them and I've been wearing them around for the past few days. Waxed flesh looks great and the work boot style definitely works nicely with it. Should look really great beat up a bit.

And for sizing, 11.5 is right for me. So I'd say, yes, go TTS (or half a size up from your Barrie sizing, if that's at all helpful).

Vince was great to deal with. Very responsive. I hope he has real success with these boots.

Shalomp

Reaction score
Got them and I've been wearing them around for the past few days. Waxed flesh looks great and the work boot style definitely works nicely with it. Should look really great beat up a bit.

And for sizing, 11.5 is right for me. So I'd say, yes, go TTS (or half a size up from your Barrie sizing, if that's at all helpful).

Vince was great to deal with. Very responsive. I hope he has real success with these boots.

how about some photos?!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can anyone compare sizing vs Viberg 2030 last or Alden?

Also got a pair of wax flesh a week or so ago I wear a 10.5 in the Alden Trubalance and Barrie but could probably go to an 11 on the Barrie . I got the Truman in a 12 and it is a perfect fit . Great boot wearing them a lot right now. Def a workboot look. Had to cut the pull loops off , thought I'd like them but we're a pain ********** with narrow leg jeans and chinos

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also got a pair of wax flesh a week or so ago I wear a 10.5 in the Alden Trubalance and Barrie but could probably go to an 11 on the Barrie . I got the Truman in a 12 and it is a perfect fit . Great boot wearing them a lot right now. Def a workboot look. Had to cut the pull loops off , thought I'd like them but we're a pain ********** with narrow leg jeans and chinos

Wow, a full size and a half up from Trubalance? I could probably use a wide in Truman if Vince made it admittedly, but I don't think I could go another half size up without the boots being too long.

Anyway... Also worth noting that Vince will do minor customizations on orders: e.g. leave the pull tabs off, put on a toe cap. Maybe a few other things. I saw him post on Instagram about a pair with an unstructured toe. That might be an upcharge. Don't know. But right now, he's small enough that if you are nice and ask, he might do it.

And photos for you @Shalomp. These are new, so they look pretty much like the do on the Truman site, of course:

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow, a full size and a half up from Trubalance? I could probably use a wide in Truman if Vince made it admittedly, but I don't think I could go another half size up without the boots being too long.

Anyway... Also worth noting that Vince will do minor customizations on orders: e.g. leave the pull tabs off, put on a toe cap. Maybe a few other things. I saw him post on Instagram about a pair with an unstructured toe. That might be an upcharge. Don't know. But right now, he's small enough that if you are nice and ask, he might do it.

And photos for you @Shalomp. These are new, so they look pretty much like the do on the Truman site, of course:

Nice. Mine already showing wear prolly wouldn't show in a photo tho . Yeah I gpt wierd ass feet . I measure 12 1/2 on the brannock. I cut out some 3 oz vegtan insoles( pretty thin stuff) and the boots were too tight , so pretty much spot on . They actually feel a lot like my Indy boots at 10.5 so go figure

canadianhockey3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm the one who requested the unstructured ones. Should be getting them next week. Can report back if anyone is interested. Anyway, here is a pic of the finished product till then:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm the one who requested the unstructured ones. Should be getting them next week. Can report back if anyone is interested. Anyway, here is a pic of the finished product till then:
Looks good. And sure. I'd like to hear what you think. Was there an up charge for the request?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads