Truman Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gfloridafan93, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

I still haven't pulled a trigger on Truman yet, but I think the Mohawk in snuff might be the one. I've been looking for a darker leather boot, mainly brown CXL and reverse chamois from Alden or maybe the pre-order brown waxed flesh from Oak Street, and this Mohawk looks just as good or better.

What do you guys think about this leather? Any experiences with it? Would my natural CXL look similar after it ages for a while? I just want to make sure that I don't overlap with my Viberg service boot in natty CXL. Thanks!

2. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

3. Matthew Cruz

Matthew Cruz Senior member

If you want something darker that won't overlap with Naty cxl, the Snuff Mohawk or Java Waxed Flesh would be your best bets. Vince has been working with the Waxed Flesh for a long time, so it would probably come out the cleanest of the two, since he knows exactly how it pulls on the last etc. I was actually eyeing that Waxy Mohawk too. I can't decide if I should do a captoe or not.

4. Shalomp

Shalomp Senior member

i would like to understand more about the waxy mohawk. does the wax wear off similarly to the waxed flesh? how much do both leathers stretch out?

5. Matthew Cruz

You'll have to ask Vince, unless someone on here has experience with the CF Stead leathers. Maybe if you reply to his instagram post, he'l reply there. He said he had over a 100 emails to respond to, so I would imagine that might not be the best way to get him right now. I found this description on CF Steads website:

This is a rugged fashion leather, with a character all of its own. We have used our original tannage, which is designed to shrink the fibre structure by up to 25%, in order to create an appearance which after impregnation with our blend of waxes is unique. The tight fibre structure prevents any ‘opening’ or stretching over the toe, and our traditional, rich dyeings work with the waxes during wear, to produce a wonderful combination of natural texture and colour. Fully waterproof and Gore-Tex compatible.​

6. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

This is helpful. Thanks.

Vince responded to my email last night and had this to say:

"The Mohawk is totally different. It’s got allot more character to it, and definitely won’t age the same way. I think it may get a bit darker and wax may wear off a bit but it’s not waxed as heavy as the WF. Which is waxed on the surface where these are waxed deeper into the pours of the leather. I don’t think they will overlap the natural CXL at all."

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I was poking around the stead website a few weeks ago and saw this cool metalic rambler leather but could not find any shoes made in it so I gave up on the thought - even figured it would look to odd - then I saw this and got my interest peaked...I have no idea if Vince can get this leather as I have not contacted him about it yet but wanted to gauge interest to see if I was the only weird one who thought it was cool looking..lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Matthew Cruz

That's really interesting but I would have to see it in person. It's making me think of dinosaur skin for some reason. My son has a stuffed animal that kinda looks like this. If Vince did get this leather, it would probably be the most unique boot around.

9. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

Not a fan. I agree with Matthew, looks like dinosaur skin.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

11. varsityreds0123

varsityreds0123 Senior member

haha. There is definitely some likeness there, I'd say.

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is pretty cool

13. SurakiCrim

SurakiCrim Senior member

Has anyone in Canada ordered from Truman? Do you think they will lower the price of the purchase on the mailing slips so I avoid massive import tax

14. Charlie92

Charlie92 Well-Known Member

Since Trumans are produced in the US, wouldn't the import tax be waived under NAFTA's rules of origin?

15. SurakiCrim

SurakiCrim Senior member

Depends on the type of item really, I did an estimate using a calculator by the Canadian government, it's about 90$, then ups will charge me about 40$ for brokerage and handling fees...