• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Truman Boots

whatitis

Reaction score
Get out of here with your facts!

JK. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for the ability to do a 1-off here and there. But since it's impossible I just spend my $$$ elsewhere.
Fully agreed. This is what I liked most about Truman when they first started- so many options for individualization.

Btw, your pair from Butterscotch are sweet.

smartbrother

Reaction score
Fully agreed. This is what I liked most about Truman when they first started- so many options for individualization.

Btw, your pair from Butterscotch are sweet.
Thanks! I'll probably only have one Truman. Glad it's this pair.

vettemike

Reaction score
I can’t stand their use of Dainite soles. If they allowed more customization like Cats Paw soles, different thread color, and so on, I’d be more interested. I’d be willing to pay a little more to get the boots exactly how I wanted

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
I can’t stand their use of Dainite soles. If they allowed more customization like Cats Paw soles, different thread color, and so on, I’d be more interested. I’d be willing to pay a little more to get the boots exactly how I wanted
that is not their MO, you pay for them to deliver their idea of what you want.

whatitis

Reaction score
But, h
But, how many companies offer that level of customization? I know Viberg has MTO events, but then you're paying $900/pair (and we've all seen their oversights @smartbrother- saw your botched MTO pair at the LA sale). Truman still offers limited MTO events where you get control over quite a bit of options for around $550. I'm in for the new horse rump MTO, looks sharp.

vettemike

Reaction score
I like Viberg and their MTO events, but at twice the price of Truman its tough to take the plunge. I just wish Truman would offer different custom options on all their boots. It would be easier to justify the price

whatitis

Reaction score
I like Viberg and their MTO events, but at twice the price of Truman its tough to take the plunge. I just wish Truman would offer different custom options on all their boots. It would be easier to justify the price
Agreed. I was an early Truman adopter when you could customize nearly anything. Now, with their scale of production, those days are (sadly) gone.

smartbrother

Reaction score
But, h

But, how many companies offer that level of customization? I know Viberg has MTO events, but then you're paying $900/pair (and we've all seen their oversights @smartbrother- saw your botched MTO pair at the LA sale). Truman still offers limited MTO events where you get control over quite a bit of options for around $550. I'm in for the new horse rump MTO, looks sharp.
Fair point. My hope was that Truman would be the one to fill this place in the market, especially since they do offer MTO over the web. I’m sure they have their reasons for limiting things the way they do, and I’m probably not their target consumer anyway.

whatitis

Reaction score
Fair point. My hope was that Truman would be the one to fill this place in the market, especially since they do offer MTO over the web. I’m sure they have their reasons for limiting things the way they do, and I’m probably not their target consumer anyway.
If I were running the shop, I'd allocate a few pairs a month (first come/serve) for MTO. Assign them to my best two bootmakers with a upcharges for each customization. You'd end up with unique designs, happy customers and a extra profits. Everyone wins.

Turns31

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of the C55 last with some wear on them? Want to see how that toe box is doing.

KevInSuits

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for boots recently and I came across Truman, anyone have a good idea of how they compare quality wise to something like Nick's or Whites?

vettemike

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for boots recently and I came across Truman, anyone have a good idea of how they compare quality wise to something like Nick's or Whites?
I’ve had fairly good experience with Truman quality, so I would say they’re about equal to Nicks and Whites. The big difference is going to be fit and customization. Whites and Nicks offer much better arch support and more customization. Truman’s require an arch insert, because they have almost no arch support.

KevInSuits

Reaction score
I’ve had fairly good experience with Truman quality, so I would say they’re about equal to Nicks and Whites. The big difference is going to be fit and customization. Whites and Nicks offer much better arch support and more customization. Truman’s require an arch insert, because they have almost no arch support.
That's good to know, Truman is the only company out of the three that I can actually go try on because they are carried by one store in Chicago. Where as the other boots are not. I was looking at these vs the falcons from nicks. They are a few dollars cheaper and I wouldn't have order a custom boot from nicks because I want the commando outsole. Seem like a solid idea? I'm just trying to get a good idea before I spend close to 500 dollars on some boots. https://www.trumanboot.com/collections/in-stock-boots/products/black-waxed-flesh-1

vettemike

Reaction score
That's good to know, Truman is the only company out of the three that I can actually go try on because they are carried by one store in Chicago. Where as the other boots are not. I was looking at these vs the falcons from nicks. They are a few dollars cheaper and I wouldn't have order a custom boot from nicks because I want the commando outsole. Seem like a solid idea? I'm just trying to get a good idea before I spend close to 500 dollars on some boots. https://www.trumanboot.com/collections/in-stock-boots/products/black-waxed-flesh-1
I agree you need to try the boots on before you go with either brand. I would try them on with the inserts and socks you would normally wear. With the inserts I am a size 10 in Truman, versus 9.5 in every last from Viberg. I think the GYW Truman’s are a good value, especially when they’re on sale like this past weekend.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40