• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Truman Boots

Jmccle2

Reaction score
I always thought Truman ran TTS. I just ordered my first pair, fingers crossed.
Man this thread died off. The 79 last was very TTS. Unless they modified it significantly, I would go with your Brannock size. As far as I know, they just modified the last to fix the instep (it used to be really low).

Lit Up

Reaction score
The thread died off because Truman stopped doing what was innovative and desirable and just started offering standard GYW fare. As @almostvintagestyle says:

"Truman has much more egregious quality issues, has changed their last for the worse, and are also starting to make Goodyear welted boots instead of sticking with stitchdown means that I do not consider them to be equal to Viberg at all. In fact, I almost forgot to mention them entirely because between the two, I believe Viberg to be the clear choice."

I personally have no loyalty to them given the sheer stress and disappointment I have had after ordering four pairs of boots from them, only one pair of which I actually wear. Never again.

whatitis

Reaction score
The thread died off because Truman stopped doing what was innovative and desirable and just started offering standard GYW fare. As @almostvintagestyle says:

"Truman has much more egregious quality issues, has changed their last for the worse, and are also starting to make Goodyear welted boots instead of sticking with stitchdown means that I do not consider them to be equal to Viberg at all. In fact, I almost forgot to mention them entirely because between the two, I believe Viberg to be the clear choice."

I personally have no loyalty to them given the sheer stress and disappointment I have had after ordering four pairs of boots from them, only one pair of which I actually wear. Never again.
Care to share your experience? They've received a great deal of negative press, but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive (7 pairs and counting). Had an issue here/there and they took care of it quickly and professionally.

I'm in for the Beech horse MTO ...

smartbrother

Reaction score
I ordered these as my first foray. I’ve always been interested but I can’t get them to do a half sole and all eyelets on any leather I’m interested in. Everything about these work for me except the sole, so I shipped them directly to my cobbler for a mini-ripple resole. I’ll post updates when I get them back.

smartbrother

Reaction score
The eagle has landed.

I've been really irritated at Truman's offerings. So many cool leathers but I could never get them to do all eyelets, a contrast tongue and a half-sole with a leather I wanted, even on the ones they offered as MTO.

When I saw these from butterscotch, I figured it was close enough to my ideal that I could work with it. Here's the final result.

biglmbass

Reaction score
@smartbrother Those look great. Have you tried a gloxi, though? Super comfortable. I just recently got a Viberg with that sole & now want more. Super comfortable.

I having a hard time picturing how he married a mini ripple with that heel...

smartbrother

Reaction score
@smartbrother Those look great. Have you tried a gloxi, though? Super comfortable. I just recently got a Viberg with that sole & now want more. Super comfortable.

I having a hard time picturing how he married a mini ripple with that heel...
I bet it's as comfortable as Christy, if not more. I just don’t like the look of gloxicut 🤷🏽‍♂️

Turns31

Reaction score
I was really wanting the Rio Latigo's in the C-55 last but don't like the dark brown tongue. I asked if they could do a matching tongue since most of the boots are actually MTO and they told me that was impossible.

smartbrother

Reaction score
I was really wanting the Rio Latigo's in the C-55 last but don't like the dark brown tongue. I asked if they could do a matching tongue since most of the boots are actually MTO and they told me that was impossible.
“IMPOSSIBLE” lol. I heard pretty much the same thing every time.

Turns31

Reaction score
“IMPOSSIBLE” lol. I heard pretty much the same thing every time.
I don't think that's an outlandish request especially if the boot isn't even made yet. I offered to pay $10 extra or whatever if the Latigo leather was more expensive or whatever the case. Nope, impossible.

whatitis

Reaction score
After visiting their Boulder factory, my understanding is they cut all the incoming leather except for a few hides kept aside for warranty/remakes/etc. Then, they pre-sew all the uppers in one batch with their selected thread color/tongue/heel tab/etc. The boots are then lasted as orders are placed. I doubt such a request is "impossible" but it would require cutting an entirely new upper from their reserve hides with a new tongue, which is essentially a full MTO. Like you, I've asked a few times for customizations on their stock runs and received a similar response.

EDIT- just my observations/understanding from my brief tour

Last edited:

smartbrother

Reaction score
After visiting their Boulder factory, my understanding is they cut all the incoming leather except for a few hides kept aside for warranty/remakes/etc. Then, they pre-sew all the uppers in one batch with their selected thread color/tongue/heel tab/etc. The boots are then lasted as orders are placed. I doubt such a request is "impossible" but it would require cutting an entirely new upper from their reserve hides with a new tongue, which is essentially a MTO. Like you, I've asked a few times for customizations on their stock runs and received a similar response.
Get out of here with your facts!

JK. I'd happily wait longer and pay more for the ability to do a 1-off here and there. But since it's impossible I just spend my $$$ elsewhere.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40