1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Truman Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gfloridafan93, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Shalomp

Shalomp Senior Member

anyone has the scuff off?

is it cowhide or horsehide?

2. Lit Up

Lit Up New Member

Will I have to pay import duties and taxes if I order Trumans in the UK? They're expensive boots and I don't want to pay 20% VAT and duties on top and all that jazz... any experiences of anybody who has ordered Trumans in the UK?

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Distinguished Member

Just wore my Navy shell's the other day...first time in a long time and they were comfy as can be! No pics though.

4. Dave W

Dave W New Member

I live in the UK and am looking for a pair. I can't find anywhere that stocks them. Did you have any luck?

5. pedromvu

pedromvu Active Member

How long does it usually takes to ship an in stock item for a regular size (8D-12D) in your experiences?

6. pedromvu

pedromvu Active Member

Nevermind, finally got these from last time they were on sale:

20181127_195309.jpg 20181127_195510.jpg 20181127_195541.jpg

I am very impressed with the quality and fit of these, never thought I would be buying shoes this expensive but must say compared to my other boots they are worth it, the only other Lace up boot I have is Grant Stone Diesel natural CMXL, this feels immediately more flexible and comfortable right out of the box (I have been having a bit of a hard time breaking up the GS), it's also a tiny bit lighter and I like that the overall shape is a bit narrower while still round.

These fit true to size for me, 9.5D while my Diesel are 9D, was waiting to add Taft Dragon to the comparison but I ended up getting the wrong size due to a long story, but now I am pretty sure I would also be a 9D on those.

Regarding customer service I must say I was a bit worried due to some horror stories from here, and they did take a while to arrive (almost 4 weeks), and while I got quick answers to all my concerns I feel like none of the them were actually of much help or giving any transparency on why the delay, but luckily everything worked out.

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Surprised to hear the Grant Stone is breaking in slowly - Dainite is stiffer most of the time in my experience.

Those Trumans look sweet! Wear and enjoy!

8. Jmccle2

Jmccle2 Senior Member

A41FE69E-8AEE-42D0-A062-B8FCE1A9B0EB.jpeg

Wearing my whiskey shell pair today. This is the first time I can honestly say they feel ‘comfortable’. The break-in at the instep was brutal.

9. biglmbass

biglmbass Senior Member

Nice.. How many wears, would you say?

10. Lit Up

Lit Up New Member

No UK stockists. There's a German stockist who I presume you could order from.

I had my China Blues sent to my friend who lives in NYC and she posted them tracked but uninsured as a gift so I didn't have to pay extra taxes and duties. The risk is obviously the loss is not covered if it goes walkies. Mine were stuck in a UK sorting office for a long time and nobody knows why. Got them now though.

One of the boots is really hurting where the tongue is sewn to the boot. Took it to a cobbler today who says the boots are very well made (on par with Viberg) but these ones should be lined not just in the toe, which is where Truman are cutting corners a little. He hammered the tongue down and I'm hoping that it makes a difference. I'll have to wait until my foot heals to see what it's like. Otherwise I'll have to take it back to the cobbler.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

11. Jmccle2

Jmccle2 Senior Member

Right around 20. I’ve had them for over a year, but I was always hesitant to wear them because I knew it wasn’t going to be fun. I had more comfortable pairs that I’d rather wear.

A couple of months ago I said screw it and forced myself through the break in. All good now!

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

Those look awesome - congrats on a successful break-in!

13. 5KFootwear

5KFootwear New Member

Re: Truman Size Tags noting Non-Standard Width?

Significant width difference between a second hand pair of Truman Boots and a new pair bought direct. Both are standard width per Truman's order documentation and product tags. A night on the Cobbler's stretching rack should fix things, the boots I mean, not me.

Truman Boots have the size hand written, onto their standard Truman Boot tags, in black marker. This notation fades almost immediately and seems at a level of products purchased on Etsy. Variations in fit of Truman Boots have been noted but has anyone ever seen a Truman Size Tag noting deliberate non-standard widths?

14. liquidjelly

liquidjelly Senior Member

From what I hear, their lasts have changed the past year. That's what many Instagram users have said, but Truman hasn't commented on it formally yet.

That may be why your second hand pair fits differently than the brand new pair.

15. 5KFootwear

5KFootwear New Member

Re: Truman Size Tags noting Non-Standard Width?

Thanks LJ. As you indicate, Truman may simply have changed their lasts. It would follow that they could counsel return customers regarding these changes. Numerous cheerful customers have mentioned their boots in custom configurations, including non-standard widths. Other shoe manufacturers clearly and permanently note width and size on their products. It occurs to me I've never seen width noted on any Truman Size Tags. I could be mistaken though.

Anyone have width noted, or not noted, on their Truman Boots of Non-Standard Width?