1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Truer words have never been spoken

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Ambulance Chaser, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

2. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I saw this on CNN. I was thinking about getting tickets to this also.

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Are you sure he didn't say it was going to be a "twain weck?"

4. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I read this too - I guess I just don't know what he meant by it. Does he mean it'll be like to trains colliding? Or that he's way past his prime and about to lose to some Irish shmuck?

5. PHV

PHV Senior member

I'm sorry but Tyson is going to plow over that white boy... it will just be embarrasing.

6. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I'm not sure what you're basing that on - Tyson's lost 2 of his last three fight and this will be only his second fight in the past 28 months or something like that - but regardless, I don't care who wins this fight. It's a sideshow, nothing more.

7. PHV

PHV Senior member

(PHV @ April 14 2005,10:51) I'm sorry but Tyson is going to plow over that white boy... it will just be embarrasing.
    I'm not sure what you're basing that on - Tyson's lost 2 of his last three fight and this will be only his second fight in the past 28 months or something like that - but regardless, I don't care who wins this fight. Â It's a sideshow, nothing more.
    I don't know a whole lot about boxing, but I doubt Tyson is going to let some white boy beat him. White people suck at boxing.

8. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

You got half of that right.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Um, what about the Klitschko brothers?  Andrew Golota?

My guess is that Tyson's opponent falls into the "tomato can" category, but I'm not basing that on his race alone.

10. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Robin Givens is on the undercard:

Tyson wouldn't fight her (again)

11. PHV

PHV Senior member

Originally Posted by PHV,April 14 2005,13:28
    White people suck at boxing.
    Um, what about the Klitschko brothers? Â Andrew Golota? My guess is that Tyson's opponent falls into the "tomato can" category, but I'm not basing that on his race alone.
    I know enough to know that there are good white boxers but funny enough the names that stick to everyone's head are Joe Frazier, Sunny Liston, Ali, Foreman, Hollyfield, Lewis etc... Isn't one of those Klitschko brothers out of commision anyways? I expect this next fight to go the way of the one with Francois Botha...yes I know nothing about boxing, but although I am painting with a big brush, I often find most boxing connoiseurs to be like most huge sports fans; completely incapable in athletics and couldn't throw a punch if their on time pizza delivery depended on it.

12. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Are you implying that the opposite is also true: if you don't know a lot about boxing then you can fight? Tough talk coming from a violinist...

13. PHV

PHV Senior member

Originally Posted by PHV,April 14 2005,14:38
    I expect this next fight to go the way of the one with Francois Botha...yes I know nothing about boxing, but although I am painting with a big brush, I often find most boxing connoiseurs to be like most huge sports fans; completely incapable in athletics and couldn't throw a punch if their on time pizza delivery depended on it.
    Are you implying that the opposite is also true: if you don't know a lot about boxing then you can fight? Â Tough talk coming from a violinist...
    Definately not, I just think that a lot of big time sports fans fill the void of their failure in life by emotionally attaching themselves to a sports team or an athlete.. "My team", thats "my guy". No it's not... put down the cheesies and go accomplish something yourself. I love sports, I used to love watching sports. But there are a dangerous amount of people who base a lot of their pleasure on watching sports, and cannot do anything themselves. So being told I know nothing about an area of knowledge in which I know there to be many sad cases, I am hardly taken aback. I know that this is not logically sound, but I don't care. I just started realizing that most big sports fans are losers. Can I throw a punch? Yes, I am not built like the average violinist, mentally or physically.

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

I think professional sports of any type are disgusting, esp. the Olympics. Now amateur athletics and College ball is another story all together.

15. PHV

PHV Senior member

Really? Care to elaborate? I am slowly comming to the same realization. I used to really love watching pro sports, but then a combination of circumstance and my distaste for the manner in which many of those in the industry conduct themselves, I stopped.

16. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

how is college ball not professional? or at least 'pre-professional'? the only real difference between college ball and professional ball is the college kids have less experience and don't play as well. [​IMG] what's disgusting is the idea that you have to be unpaid to have any honor when doing sports.

17. Eric

Eric Senior member

To be completely sterotypical PHV is right, white people aren't usually the best boxers. I think it was Chris Rock that said the lower standards of living the better the fighter, he used this to demonstrate why Puerto Ricans can whoop up on black guys or something. Not an exact science by far, but pretty funny and generally true.

But Tyson is not much of a fighter these days, I bet half the white contenders out there would demolish Tyson as of late, he is WAY past his prime.

Eric

18. PHV

PHV Senior member

A lot of the great boxers learned from experience. When you live in some of the god forsaken places that they come from, you have a better chance of developing a good instinct for fighting than a white boy who most likely came from more favourable circumstances.

Of course, a white person can still have very comparable pugnacious instincts as a black person, but let's also not forget that african american now dominate all the sports in North America besides hockey, and that is probably just a matter of time as well. Their bodies are superior. Get over it.

19. Eric

Eric Senior member

(Eric @ April 20 2005,12:18) To be completely sterotypical PHV is right, white people aren't usually the best boxers. Â I think it was Chris Rock that said the lower standards of living the better the fighter, he used this to demonstrate why Puerto Ricans can whoop up on black guys or something. Â Not an exact science by far, but pretty funny and generally true. But Tyson is not much of a fighter these days, I bet half the white contenders out there would demolish Tyson as of late, he is WAY past his prime. Eric
    A lot of the great boxers learned from experience. When you live in some of the god forsaken places that they come from, you have a better chance of developing a good instinct for fighting than a white boy who most likely came from more favourable circumstances. Of course, a white person can still have very comparable pugnacious instincts as a black person, but let's also not forget that african american now dominate all the sports in North America besides hockey, and that is probably just a matter of time as well. Their bodies are superior. Get over it.
    I think its tough to argue that black people are for the majority more atheletic than most other races. I'll give you that and I don't really see where I disagreed with you in the post you quoted. That said, Tyson sucks. Get over that. Eric

20. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I don't think white people suck at boxing, socio economic circustances leave them with less motivation to pursue it as a career. But the boxers mentioned don't help relieve the belief. Golata was bum who's best punch was below the belt. The brothers aren't so bad. One ( I forget which) put up a very good fight against Lewis.