• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved the look and feel and the realism. Good acting by the boys, superlative by the girl. Less than vintage Coen Bros, though, IMO.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superb movie. Best I've seen this year. Great acting up and down. The Coen brothers, as long as they avoid comedy, do exceedingly well.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Superb movie. Best I've seen this year. Great acting up and down. The Coen brothers, as long as they avoid comedy, do exceedingly well.

I was surprised by how un-comedic it was. There was humor, but not the kind or quantity you normally expect from the Coens.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Raising Arizona? Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

inlove.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Raising Arizona? Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

For me, both painfully horrific to watch. "turn to the right" REALLY isn't that funny.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was okay but not great. The halfhearted distance the Coens take from their films really turns me off. It was a well-acted and beautifully shot movie that gave me nothing to explore or care about.

CTstudent

Reaction score
Really nice movie. Bridges is obviously extremely talented. Coen brothers played it a bit more straight Western on this one, in comparison to their other films. The humor was still there, but not to the extent that they put it in some of their others movies.

Top 5 of the year

BC2012

Reaction score
I liked, not loved, the movie. Bridges was incredible, though. Matt Damon was oddly awkward and probably miscast.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTstudent
The humor was still there, but not to the extent that they put it in some of their others movies.

O god, to me that's a huge plus. The more of their marsupialed "humor" they leave out, the better. That's why to me, Miller's Crossing, No Country for Old Men, and True Grit are their best films. They're almost never funny. (ironically neither were there comedies.)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I re-read the novel in anticipation of seeing the movie. I must say that both John Wayne and Jeff Bridges are rather miscast in the role of Rooster Cogburn. The story is set in 1878. It states in the novel he was 43 at time and had ridden with Quantrill during the war. Both actors playing the role have been men in their 60s. I should think that few, if any, of the survivors of Quantrill's band would have been sexagenarians in 1878. Also, in the novel, it states that he was very fat. I don't think Jeff Bridges is particularly fat.
He's not America fat, but he was fat for that time... certainly fat for a man who as a tracker and bounty hunter would go days eating just a few hundred calories. I remember in Crazy Heart the doctor told him to lose some weight too. He's just been on fire as of late. What amazes me is that those guys could nail a biscuit 20ft in the air, shooting from the hip. To me, that's just amazing... but I'm just a city slicker. I'm deadly accurate with a 9mm from 12-15 feet at a range, but how those guys (I'm guessing they could) shoot is just astonishing to me. Also, how would a lasso rope prevent snakes from getting at you in your sleep?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What amazes me is that those guys could nail a biscuit 20ft in the air, shooting from the hip. To me, that's just amazing... but I'm just a city slicker. I'm deadly accurate with a 9mm from 12-15 feet at a range, but how those guys (I'm guessing they could) shoot is just astonishing to me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads