1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 15, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Also, how would a lasso rope prevent snakes from getting at you in your sleep?

I seem to remember reading in some western book that it throws snakes off. I forget how though.

2. soxpats

soxpats Senior member

Went to True Grit on Friday. It was decent but not sure what the big deal is. Should have waited for it to come out on DVD.

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

I think I read somewhere that snakes don't like the feel of the rope. Google says this isn't true, but it is/was a common myth.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

What amazes me is that those guys could nail a biscuit 20ft in the air, shooting from the hip. To me, that's just amazing... but I'm just a city slicker. I'm deadly accurate with a 9mm from 12-15 feet at a range, but how those guys (I'm guessing they could) shoot is just astonishing to me.

I doubt if anyone ever has been able to hit a tossed biscuit in the air at 20 feet shooting from the hip with any degree of of consistency--not Ed McGivern, not Bill Jordan...nobody.

As has already been said, the business about the rope providing safety because the snakes didn't like the rough surface is a myth. However, it was a widely believed one in the old days. Back in the '50s I knew a family that would go camping in the desert and always surround their sleeping bags with ropes. I don't know whether anyone still believes it or not. Given the rough, rocky terrain snakes traverse with ease, it was a pretty stupid idea from the get-go.

However, people will believe the damndest things about snakes. I had a boss who believed in the existence of the dreaded "hoop snake." He said his pappy had actually witnessed one of these creatures in action back in Tennessee.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Superb movie. Best I've seen this year. Great acting up and down. The Coen brothers, as long as they avoid comedy, do exceedingly well.

I was surprised by how un-comedic it was. There was humor, but not the kind or quantity you normally expect from the Coens.

I found that I was laughing pretty consistently throughout the whole movie.

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

Very impressed. Hadn't read it, hadn't seen the John Wayne version. Loved it.

7. sartorialism

sartorialism Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. hogarth

hogarth New Member

I want to watch this and Tron: Legacy.

Tron was great, really suggest it.

9. thromb

thromb Senior member

Loved it. The ending kinda threw me though.

Agree. Loved 99% of the movie except for the drawn on sequence of Bridges riding with and carrying the girl back. Background in some of those scenes looked like they were green screened in and were distracting.

10. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Really liked this, except for the lame and unrealistic cgi snake scene.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'd like to see someone have Bridges do the news in character. With the eyepatch too.

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I re-read the novel in anticipation of seeing the movie. I must say that both John Wayne and Jeff Bridges are rather miscast in the role of Rooster Cogburn. The story is set in 1878. It states in the novel he was 43 at time and had ridden with Quantrill during the war. Both actors playing the role have been men in their 60s. I should think that few, if any, of the survivors of Quantrill's band would have been sexagenarians in 1878. Also, in the novel, it states that he was very fat. I don't think Jeff Bridges is particularly fat.

I know Wayne was older when he did the character, though it's been so long that I don't remember most of the details from that version. However, I believe Bridges's Cogburn was supposed to have been closer to that age, just extremely haggard from a hard and bitter life. Recall that the very end was twenty-five years after-the-fact, and he'd just died. It's possible he could have lived into his late 80s or 90s back then, but I doubt that was what they were going for.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Oh, and I really, really enjoyed this film.

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Agree. Loved 99% of the movie except for the drawn on sequence of Bridges riding with and carrying the girl back. Background in some of those scenes looked like they were green screened in and were distracting.

No I liked that part. I'm talking about the final framing scene.

15. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I really enjoyed the movie, myself.

16. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

The lead actress did a fantastic job. Hadn't seen the original or read the novel, but I plan on reading the novel after seeing the movie. If

17. dave333

dave333 Senior member

Cinematography was great, and the scenery where they filmed was just fantastic.

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

saw this over the new year's and i thought jeff bridges was great and definitely should be high on the candidacy for best actor academy award.

the film was entertaining but not as enjoyable for me as i guess i went into it expecting a coen brothers type film but it was just a simple western. (which is fine, and i know they were trying to be true to the book which i dont read who cares but the film was not what i expected).

spoiler
    film kind of ended on a simplistic resolve on everything, everyone just started to conveniently show up at the last moment /right time and bash someone over the head before the guy took some other guy out. nothing was surprising to me as i knew everyone would be ok. the guy had the girl under the fists and i knew she was going to be saved by ..matt damon appearing out of nowhere of course. stuff like that. [​IMG]

oh and i agree as well, and have been saying it myself as i exited the movie,
    matt damon was totally miscast in the movie.

19. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Cinematography was great, and the scenery where they filmed was just fantastic.

One of the things that I appreciated about the newer version is that I am very familiar with the territory that the book/movie is supposed to be set in (the Ouchita/Winding Stair Mountains of SE Oklahoma). I've hiked and hunted in those hills for my entire life.

The 1969 original was filmed, I think, in the Sierra Nevadas in California which look NOTHING like the proper setting. There are no snow covered peaks in SE Oklahoma. It does snow in Oklahoma, but there are no peaked mountains there.

The new version does a much better job of capturing the flavor of the place. I believe it was filmed in central Texas and New Mexico. There were only 2 scenes that were clearly not right. One showed a quick shot of a peaked mountain (the mountains there are of the ridge variety, more like that Appalachians). The other was set in a birch forest. There aren't any birch trees with a few hundred miles of Oklahoma. Other than that, the scenery was very realistic. Especially the scenery with the boulder covered hillsides and pine forests. The Winding Stair Mountains look just like that.

20. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

oh and i agree as well, and have been saying it myself as i exited the movie,
    matt damon was totally miscast in the movie.

Maybe because I was comparing it to the original I disagree only because Glen Campbell was SO MUCH WORSE. Perhaps the worst acting performance ever captured on film in the original. Damon played the part at a much higher level in the remake. On the flipside, he didn't sing the theme song...so there is that.