True Grit is Pretty Awesome

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

2. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

I am going to see it tonight. Very excited.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I always thought Jekyll was Wallcloud. Huh.

4. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Ok...here's something that's been bothering me. I'm not normally one to bitch about "plot holes", but at the end when Cogburn sets out with the snake-bitten girl, why didn't he just take one of the four dead men's horses as a spare? For that matter, why didn't Matt Damon go on down the hill, grab a horse, and join them?

5. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

The original is one of my favorite movies. Hope the new one doesn't ruin it. Just from the trailers I can tell they've changed it.

6. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Ok...here's something that's been bothering me. I'm not normally one to bitch about "plot holes", but at the end when Cogburn sets out with the snake-bitten girl, why didn't he just take one of the four dead men's horses as a spare? For that matter, why didn't Matt Damon go on down the hill, grab a horse, and join them?

1. I thought that he said that it was the only horse that hadn't run off.
    2. When riding hard and fast like that I doubt you can't keep two horses tied together.

The original is one of my favorite movies. Hope the new one doesn't ruin it. Just from the trailers I can tell they've changed it.

Well the original (which I also liked) was the one that deviated from the original novel. My understanding is that the Coen's basically went back to the original novel.

7. edinatlanta

2. When riding hard and fast like that I doubt you can't keep two horses tied together.

you can't and he was more concerned with the girl

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

1. I thought that he said that it was the only horse that hadn't run off.

I'm pretty sure they rode right by at least one horse standing there by the bodies.

That might be it.

you can't and he was more concerned with the girl

Well, yeah, but if he had a spare horse, he could've gotten there faster.

9. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

In the original one, he kills the horse, then carries her a while, then comes up on another group camped by a creek and steals their wagon.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

True grit looks real good. Jeff bridges is a really underrated actor and he is perfect for this role. Josh Brolin naturally looks like an a-hole, so he is good for his role also.

Why anyone is going to see that freshj steaming pile of turd Tron, is beyond me.

+1. Expecting "True Grit" to be better than the original.

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I no longer have any friends who would go to a movie with me. I consider this to be an important step, to where I'm no more sure than before. It feels a little like being in the middle of a Joe Frank monologue.

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I no longer have any friends who would go to a movie with me. I consider this to be an important step, to where I'm no more sure than before. It feels a little like being in the middle of a Joe Frank monologue.

Don't pull your love out on me baby...

13. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

This.

I can't imagine another current actor other than Jeff Bridges taking on the Rooster Cogburn role

I was thinking Sam Elliot

14. edinatlanta

so my parents are going for my moms bday on sunday i may go again just to look at the movie its that beautiful

15. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I re-read the novel in anticipation of seeing the movie. I must say that both John Wayne and Jeff Bridges are rather miscast in the role of Rooster Cogburn. The story is set in 1878. It states in the novel he was 43 at time and had ridden with Quantrill during the war. Both actors playing the role have been men in their 60s. I should think that few, if any, of the survivors of Quantrill's band would have been sexagenarians in 1878. Also, in the novel, it states that he was very fat. I don't think Jeff Bridges is particularly fat.