• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Detective - HBO

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The music in this show is so perfect. Especially the song choices. The Handsome Family theme song is so perfect, and the Townes van Zandt song from tonight was a great choice too.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think they would be able to bring it back around to Cool Lester Smooth.

The old lady said that Old ManTuttle had children of all types. Is it possible Clarke Peters is one?

Stugotes

Reaction score
I didn't think they would be able to bring it back around to Cool Lester Smooth.

How do you mean?

BTW, everybody and their cousin seems to think lawnmower man is the spaghetti monster - what the hell?! He doesn't look soul-crushingly scary at all. The way people (girl victim and Jimmy Ledoux) described the monster was way more chilling.

Last edited:

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The old lady said that Old ManTuttle had children of all types. Is it possible Clarke Peters is one?
How do you mean?

BTW, everybody and their cousin seems to think lawnmower man is the spaghetti monster - what the hell?! He doesn't look soul-crushingly scary at all. The way people (girl victim and Jimmy Ledoux) described the monster was way more chilling.

Well, we haven't seen him in action. I suppose that is the way it goes with serial killers, if you see them in the light of day they seem pretty innocuous. I guess what is scary about this killer is that it is, in fact, a whole family of killers, and the lawnmower guy is just off the hook, like he has to hang his killings out in public every 20 years or so.

Clarke Peters was Lester on The Wire and he showed up as a bit player on this show, the black minister who directed our boys toward the white revival tent. It always seemed weird that he had such a tiny part, even as a red herring. But the black detectives are now looking for a black minister, which must be him. I just think he is probably a Tuttle/Childress/?

Stugotes

Reaction score
Clarke Peters was Lester on The Wire and he showed up as a bit player on this show, the black minister who directed our boys toward the white revival tent. It always seemed weird that he had such a tiny part, even as a red herring. But the black detectives are now looking for a black minister, which must be him. I just think he is probably a Tuttle/Childress/?

Ah, I didn't catch that last part in the episode. Interesting.

Quote:
Yes, the scary thing is the whole family, but I don't think he is the monster they're looking for. Again, the way Jimmy Ledoux described him without being actually molested (except for stares), sounds way worse than the lawnmower guy looks like.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's possible that the facial scarring is some kind of ritual and there is more than one person who has it. The Ledoux guy at the beginning seems to be describing a grown man that he met as a kid, and that guy doesnt seem old enough

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it's possible that the facial scarring is some kind of ritual and there is more than one person who has it. The Ledoux guy at the beginning seems to be describing a grown man that he met as a kid, and that guy doesnt seem old enough

True, but that is an F-up. Cohle met the same dude, mowing the lawn, outside the school in 1995 and he looked the same age.

Anyway, its clear that guy is old enough.

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The VHS footage creeped me the hell out. I can't wait for the final eps.

I want to watch the whole season again. There are just so many details.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For sure. I've watched a few of the episodes again. "Who goes there" is probably still my favorite.

velobran

Reaction score
I definitely want to re-watch the full season again. In reading recaps and theories, there are so many small details and symbolisms missed.

They have said continually everything comes round full circle, the answers are right there under their noses, etc.

How about the lawn mower man (spaghetti monster... yes) mowing in a circular fashion. Also saying he knows the coast so well and Rust said most of the disappearings happened along the bayou.

In a recent interview with the writer - he said there won't be any odd twists and it will progress in a pretty forward manner. I do wonder if they'll add in anything for shock value such as Marty's daughter being killed or his in-laws being part of it. The timeline of the current day portion hasn't been more than a few days right? No one has talked to his daughter in a few days and she has a boyfriend that looks after her. Is she the latest killing that hasn't been in the papers?

Stugotes

Reaction score
The timeline of the current day portion hasn't been more than a few days right? No one has talked to his daughter in a few days and she has a boyfriend that looks after her. Is she the latest killing that hasn't been in the papers?

I think they would've managed to identify her and notify the parents in no time in 2012.

That said, I don't understand why a lot of people assume that characters from the main characters' surroundings would necessarily be involved in the crimes the two are trying to solve. I've read people actually believed (from the preview) that Marty's reaction in Cohle's storage would be to the video of his daughter being raped/killed. Or that Marty's father-in-law was the killer. All of that, introducing characters only to be used later on for "stunning" twists, would feel really cheap and not in accordance to the quality of the show.

I don't mean you specifically, velobran. Just a thing I noticed.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The end is nigh...

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HBO Go won't load the video. ****!!!

yea too many people were texting me like wtf hbogo isnt working...gotta have the real stuff man. That was a good episode and season for sure, interested to see who is playing the main characters next year and what the storyline will be like...seems kind of tough to top this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads