True Detective - HBO

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fir3fox, Jan 13, 2014.

1. velobran

velobran Senior member

I just went back to see the Devil Trap. Nice find. Is it fairly large, or just very close in the shot? Depending on the actual size of the knife he's carrying, he could be a fairly large guy.

The end seems very Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Devils Rejects-esque, but could just be due to the funny underwear and gas mask.

2. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

'True Detective': How Did They Pull Off That Final Shot?

Director Cary Fukunaga walks us through the epic six-minute take.

Quote: Source

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

3. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ That's pretty cool. To be honest, I was a little disappointed in last night's episode - but not at all because of the execution. I was expecting it to pick up where episode 3 left off.

4. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Great episode again! I didn't know it only runs eight, though. Was hoping for more...

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Best quality shows leave you wanting more. I was actually exhausted at the end of last night's episode but couldn't help but go back and rewatch that heist scene. I actually didn't notice it was one take until they reached the car.

6. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Holy shit! That was awesome.

One difference between this show and a lot of the "dark" cable serials, is they aren't asking you to avatar these guys at all. Part of the fun has always been living vicariously through Tony Soprano, Don Draper or Walter White. But these guys are straight out train wrecks; all of the fun is from just watching them crash. A bit like a James McElroy novel that way.

7. gort

gort Senior member

Love this show. Also loved the enormous boobs on Woody's mistress in the sex scene. :embar:

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

This show is incredible. I'm guessing that this is the finest acting of McConaughey's career. Was not expecting this kind of performance.

So far, they are nailing everything--soundtrack, cinematography, plot.

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I really like the show. My one gripe is that the pacing seems erratic. It's like they devote episodes to either character development or plot advancement, but don't do a good job of combining the two.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    just finished ep 2, so i'm way behind, but what a great show. definitely the best of mcconaughey i've seen. there are times his eyes just go flat dead. other times, usually when he's got something on the two guys interviewing him, they light up when he realizes he knows something they don't. and harrelson is great too. and yes, his girlfriend is, er, somewhat attractive. love the way it's shot ... when they do one of those cruises to the hookers, it's like they emerge from the shadows like feral cats.

11. Connemara

I didn't breathe once in the second half of that episode.

12. phoni

phoni Senior member

Really really expected some very bad shit to happen towards the end of that episode. Masterful, simply masterful.

13. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

Another great episode. Its hard to think of any other TV show with the confidence to introduce the actual plot 4.5 hours into a 8 hour show. Totally earned confidence as well.

Heavily reminiscent of the James Ellroy novel "The Black Dahlia," about two LAPD police who investigate a seemingly singular psycho murder, both are heavily comprimised but with a strong sense of justice, and, one, discovering the conspiracy of rich men behind the murder becomes an avenging vigilante, leaving the other to discover the actual truth and administer justice. Watch Woody deliver.

Anyway, this makes the movie version of L.A. Confidential look like a comic book.

14. Connemara

P, I get your "Black Dahlia" reference, but...

I don't think Rust is the killer. One theory is that it's someone connected to the creepy preacher from that first episode. Or that tent-revival reverend. Did anyone else notice he made the sign of the cross backwards?

Ultimately I hope it's neither of those options as they are too obvious. It would be a shame for the show to take that turn after 5 of the best TV episodes I've ever seen.

15. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

[​IMG]