• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Detective - HBO

fir3fox

Reaction score
Did any one catch it last night? Its on my DVR but I'm pretty backed up on shows atm. Matthew McConaughey has been on a roll lately.

Worth watching?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, watched it when it aired. Very very promising.

velobran

Reaction score
I liked it. Anxious to watch more. I've read there will be 8 episodes. 2nd season will have a new case and an all new cast.

Ketawa

Reaction score
It was interesting, with great performances and atmosphere. Seems like there's a lot of potential. Some of the dialogue is just head-scratchingly weird; people don't talk like that in real life. I'm intrigued by the structure of the show, since it's hard to tell what to believe between Rust and Marty.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I watched I don't remember seeing/hearing much disagreement in their recounting of what happened. Particularly case related items. Also don't see much difference (if any) on all the other stuff.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn this show is good....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was interesting, with great performances and atmosphere. Seems like there's a lot of potential. Some of the dialogue is just head-scratchingly weird; people don't talk like that in real life. I'm intrigued by the structure of the show, since it's hard to tell what to believe between Rust and Marty.

The dialogue is stylized, like the rest of the show. Realism is not the intended effect.

Damn this show is good....

Word.

ad_infinitum

Reaction score
One of the better things I saw on TV in a long time. Hoping the quality does not drop after the pilot.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to check this out tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A little bird told me that the third episode will blow your mind...

Stugotes

Reaction score
Great freakin' show, I agree!

Here's a cool summary of the things that happened so far, courtesy of an IMDB User:

Rust Cohle's Life Prior to Murder Investigation
* Rust lost his daughter (Sophia), who was killed in the road outside his house
* He was transferred from Robbery to Narco, and started working 24/7
* His wife, Clare, left him
* He "emptied his gun" into a drug abuser, who was injecting his infant daughter with Meth, saying he was "trying to purify her"
* State Attorney got the charges against Rust dropped, but forced him to work undercover as a junkie, for any agency that needed a Narco. There was no end date for this post
* After four years (in Feb 1993), Rust killed 3 cartel men but was hit by 3 bullets
* Rust institutionalised at Northshore Psychiatric Hospital, Texas
* After this, Rust refused psychiatric pension and requested transfer to Homicide instead, which is how he ended up in Louisiana's Criminal Investigation Division

Murder Investigation (1995)
* Marty and Rust are assigned the murder case of Dora Lange in the first 3 months of their period working together
* They suspect that the disappearance of a girl named Fontenot is connected, particularly as a
* Neither Marty or Rust are the killer
* Marty's father-in-law is not the killer
* Marty's girls were NOT re-enacting a **** scene with their dolls. They were talking about children who had lost their parents in a car accident. It has not been revealed what this refers to
* Due to the Rust's lack of sleep, psychiatric problems and drugs provided by his informant/prostitute, he would frequently experience hallucinations. These stopped a few years after the investigation, once he was "clean"
* There was pressure on Marty and Rust's boss to make progress in the case. This may have lead to a hasty conviction
* Lisa, Marty's mistress, worked in some capacity at the court house, and had access to his department (she brings him legal papers in episode 1)
* Marty's wife, Maggie, introduced Rust to a woman called Lorrie who he nearly married
* The Sheriff Belson, the local sheriff to the trailer-brothel, possibly had contact with the murder victim. Thus, he could become a suspect
* The murder victim arrived at the brothel because of a bad relationship or abuse from her Uncle. The disabled man was the Uncle of the little girl who disappeared several years before, and a Devil Trap was found on his property. Thus, he could become a suspect
* The murder victim recently spent a lot of time at a church. Marty and Rust interviewed a Minister, played by Clarke Peters, in the first episode. I'd be VERY surprised if an actor of Peters' calibre is not significant to the story. Thus, he could become a suspect
* Marty and Rust fell out around 2002 and have not spoken since

Interviews (2012)
* Marty and Rust are being interviewed because their investigation lead to someone being convicted of the murder, but a murder with the same MO has happened recently (while the man is still in prison)
* Rust asks the detectives conducting the interviews whether they want to hear about "the place where we carried the kids out". The investigation may culminate to this event, where children are in danger or killed
* The detectives are gathering evidence to discover the real (or copy-cat) killer
* The detectives MAY be gathering evidence in order to hold either Marty or Rust accountable for the wrongful conviction, for legal or political (media) reasons. It currently appears that Rust is most likely to take the fall for this
* The detectives MAY suspect Rust of the recent murder, because some of the MO was not pulic knowledge, and because he has been "off the grid for 8 years"

Ketawa

Reaction score
The second episode was an improvement over the pilot. Not sure I can pinpoint exact reasons why, but the story seemed more cohesive and to the point. Plus there was only one line that pulled me out of the show like my earlier complaint -- the part where where Rust says "narrative is historical, historical is meaningful" or something like that.

And god damn, Alexandra Daddario.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Outstanding show so far. I have the attention span of a gnat, and I'm glued to the screen when it's on.

Really liking McConaughey's nihilistic monologs. The one about his daughter slipping from one blackness to a deeper blackness and the crime of being a father was just...

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Episode last night was great. More plot advancement than the last episode, which was satisfying. Cliffhanger ending has me dying to see the next episode, but there won' t be another for two weeks because of the Super Bowl. I really enjoy the creepy southern gothic style of the series so far.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Episode last night was great. More plot advancement than the last episode, which was satisfying. Cliffhanger ending has me dying to see the next episode, but there won' t be another for two weeks because of the Super Bowl. I really enjoy the creepy southern gothic style of the series so far.

Agree, very suspenseful! The end had me almost scared: "...like with any dream, there's a monster at the end of it."

Anyone catch the Devil Trap in the last shot, when Ledoux turns around and the shot freezes? And is Ledoux even the Tall Man?

Another edit: the actor portraying Ledoux is almost 6"7' tall, hmmm...!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads