• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True 3 button jacket - What button to button ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a bit confused by this exchange on WAYWRN regarding buttoning only the middle button on a 3 button jacket and I wonder what is the 'SF approved' way to wear a true 3 button ?

Is buttoning only the middle button on a true 3 button an incorrect way of wearing it ? I am under the impression that though the top button can be buttoned on a true 3 button, only the middle button is supposed to be buttoned. Basically my understanding is that irrespective of the number of buttons, style etc, only the button closest to the natural waist of the wearer is supposed to be buttoned.

Educate me a little ....

Thanks for the comments.

Originally Posted by harry2quinn
Couple of random pics:

RLPL polo, D&G jacket, Elgin scarf, Levi 501s, Campanile monks
IMG_1507.jpg

Zegna tie, Marinella PS, RLBL pants, Armani Collezioni jacket, Church's loafers, Jack Georges bag
IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Originally Posted by apropos
Please don't wear hard roll 3s as 3r2s.

Well, first of all the first SC is actually a 3-roll-2.5. Second, just because you choose to button only the middle button doesn't make it 'wearing it as a 3-roll-2'. I don't happen to like the way it looks with 2 buttons done.

Originally Posted by aeglus
Yeah, I hate buttoning the top too, though I converted this suit to a 2.5 or 2. This one brings back some memories...
tumblr_lewwxfY6Kn1qcq3abo1_400.jpg

Originally Posted by apropos
At the risk of going all
foo.gif
on you, this is a 3r2.5:

LiveranoMao.jpg

...and this looks* more 3r3 than 3r2.5:

IMG_1507.jpg

*: it may be the photo, it may very well be a 3r2.5.

Whatever it's worn as, compare the lapel roll in your jackets to meowmeow's. If your lapels can be fixed, it might be a good idea to fix them.

Just my 0.02, not trying to be an asshole or anything. Your colour combinations are nice.

I do appreciate your comments - I see now you're clearly trying to be constructive.

Perhaps my jacket is not a true 3 roll 2.5... but it most certainly looks odd when the top button is done so I don't think it's a 3 roll 3 either. Let's settle and create a new term: 3 roll 2.75 or to be precise 2.74635049
laugh.gif

Did not know converting them somewhat was an option. Will look into that.

Originally Posted by aj_del
But isn't the middle button the only button to be buttoned in a true 3 button?

Originally Posted by TRINI
No - you can button the top button as well.

That's why the guidance for buttoning from top to bottom button goes: sometimes, always, never

Originally Posted by EBugatti
Technically speaking, a 3R3 will have all buttonholes (including, of course, the top one) finished on the outside of the jacket. For a 3R2.5 or a 3R2 the top button hole is finished on the inside of the jacket as the role never intends it to be visible from the outside.
teacha.gif

harry2quinn

Reaction score
I agree with your premise. That's what I meant by:

"Second, just because you choose to button only the middle button doesn't make it 'wearing it as a 3-roll-2'. I don't happen to like the way it looks with 2 buttons done."

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the definition of a true 3 button jacket is a jacket where both top and middle buttons are meant to be buttoned. If you're not meant to button the top button, then it is a 3 - roll - whatever. Of course, just because you're meant to button the top button, doesn't mean you have to button the top button.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the middle button is all that's required...........if you do the top or (god forbid!) all 3, you'd better be entering the NFL draft!!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also agree with middle. That is all that is needed..

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
From top to bottom: the 1st, sometimes; the 2nd, always; the 3rd, never!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Button the topmost button below where the lapel ends. Don't try to make a Hard 3 into something it's not.

Pics in OP are all doing it wrong.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I bought my first suit, as an adult, back in the early 60's. When the men's clothing salesman were, men's clothing salesman, and had good knowledge of what they doing, and were very competent, even to measuring you up for alterations. I was always told that on 2 button --button top button only, on 3 button --button top 2.
Now, and I think it is something fairly recently, and possibly due to the way a suit is altered or custom made, or re-ironed, that the top button is within the lapel. And the talk of 3/2 or whatever. If the the button is within the lapel --- why have it -- are these people on a button fetish.
I only have one 3 button SC, and I think I bought it by accident. It seems to me a 3 button suit/ SC is best worn by slender ( skinny ) young fellows. Due to having pumped some iron and accuired an appreciation of the enjoyment of fine food in my life, I have a bit too much chest and mid-section to want to look at myself in the mirror wearing one with the top button buttoned.

Roger

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of those look like hard 3s to me and leaving the top one undone looks very inelegant, although they'd probably look even worse done up.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
From top to bottom: the 1st, sometimes; the 2nd, always; the 3rd, never!

I think that is it. And that is the way I do it. (Although "sometimes" is slowly becoming very close to "never")

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
It seems to me a 3 button suit/ SC is best worn by slender ( skinny ) young fellows.

I've also heard "I'm short, and 3-buttons are for tall guys," and "I'm tall, and 3-buttons are for short guys." It's all bullshit. Everyone can wear a well-cut 3-button.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On a TRUE 3-button jacket (all three button holes are finished on the outside of the garment), the middle button is always buttoned, and the top button is optionally buttoned. (BUT, buttoning the top button is not wrong on a true 3R3--as long as you NEVER only button the top one).

For a 3R whatever, (top button hole is finished on the inside), you ONLY button the middle button--NEVER the top.

For a two button, only button the top button.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads