• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True 3 button jacket - What button to button ?

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I've also heard "I'm short, and 3-buttons are for tall guys," and "I'm tall, and 3-buttons are for short guys." It's all bullshit. Everyone can wear a well-cut 3-button.

I have heard the same thing - and the reverse. I used to always feel I looked better in a 3 because I'm tall, but I've read short guys here saying that they looked good in a 3 because they were short.

It may all be BS.

It may be that 3-button flatters/detracts based on some other variable, like leg vs. torso, shoulder vs. height, drop, etc.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Pics in OP are all doing it wrong.

I think the photo of apropos is showing correct use of the second button, since that jacket actually rolls to below the top button.

The general rule I use is: use the middle button only, unless the top button is required (by the construction of the jacket ... as in the case of all the other photos in OP, where the top button ought to be buttoned.)

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a little while in the 90s, I would button only the top button of a true 3. It was kinda chic at the time.
uhoh.gif

Btw, that was 1990s, not 1890s:

cowlick.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Basically my understanding is that irrespective of the number of buttons, style etc, only the button closest to the natural waist of the wearer is supposed to be buttoned.
This is correct, as long as it isn't roll-2 or roll-2.5 there is nothing wrong with buttoning the top, but neither is it compulsory; whether you button it or not is entirely up to you.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
From top to bottom: the 1st, sometimes; the 2nd, always; the 3rd, never!

This is what I do.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate 3 full button suits, look to Englishmen from XIX century but I love 3,roll 2,5 ones.
The ones that got the buttonhole on the lapel .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads