• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trucker Jacket + Turtleneck =

wsblend

Reaction score
= mismatch?

As I understand it:

a trucker jacket historically is a piece of work wear, hence the name.

whereas:

turtlenecks are more associated with dressing in a "smart casual" manner, white collar/office/academic work and, in the case of wool or cashmere turtleneck sweaters, dressing formally.

Does anyone wear a trucker jacket with a turtleneck? Is it only a matter of wearing it with a course cotton or course wool turtleneck while, of course, not wearing wool or cashmere?

wsblend

Reaction score
I already have the turlenecks. Been wanting a trucker jacket...

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From wikipedia:

Originally created by Charles Prickworthy in an attempt to recreate his clothes boutique - Prickworthy's People - in mid-18th century London. Then seamen and menial workers began adopting polo necks as work wear at the turn of the 20th century. Over time polo necks would also become acceptable casual wear, though still usually for men only.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend
= mismatch?

As I understand it:

whereas:

turtlenecks are more associated with dressing in a "smart casual" manner, white collar/office/academic work and, in the case of wool or cashmere turtleneck sweaters, dressing formally.

Does anyone wear a trucker jacket with a turtleneck? Is it only a matter of wearing it with a course cotton or course wool turtleneck while, of course, not wearing wool or cashmere?

You know that your clothes don't have to come from the same historical moment, right?

Trucker jackets are kind of F/W 09, but there's no reason not to wear one with a turtleneck if it looks good.

ataru

Reaction score
Saw Patrick McGoohan do that in an episode of Columbo with a yellow turtleneck. Looked kinda cool but very, very 70s. Don't think it'd be easy to pull off nowadays.

*intellect*

Reaction score
we can't bump our own threads but stupid threads like these get a pass..ew

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, do it and then go hang out at a truck stop! Let us know what happens!

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you will look like a jackass

a trucker hat is a mismatch with anything other than a truck. Got a big rig? Get a hat to go with it. But for everyone else, this has to be one of the most painfully dated hipster cliche ironic douchebag looks to be found.

"smart casual" is a phrase found most often in Sears catalogs. It makes me sick to see it in print.

EDIT: no you are not going crazy, I failed to read, won't be the last time, get your lumps in, I deserve it -- lulz

= mismatch?

As I understand it:

whereas:

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trucker jacket

Originally Posted by DLester
trucker hat

034824.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, **** I should never try to post on SF when I am at work, I just can't concentratE!!!!x!MKVVV!

hoist by my own petard

I will leave my post up as a warning to others.

still hate "smart casual" though

Originally Posted by dtmt
034824.jpg

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
From wikipedia:
Originally created by Charles Prickworthy in an attempt to recreate his clothes boutique - Prickworthy's People - in mid-18th century London. Then seamen and menial workers began adopting polo necks as work wear at the turn of the 20th century. Over time polo necks would also become acceptable casual wear, though still usually for men only.

I'm glad that you called my attention to that article, but the content from a later part of the article is what I had in mind when I posted:

Absorbed into mainstream American fashion by the mid 20th century, the polo neck came to be viewed as an anti-tie, a smart form of dress for those who rejected formal wear. Senator Ted Kennedy, pianist/conductor Vladimir Ashkenazy, conductor Seiji Ozawa, scientist Carl Sagan, and Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs were among those often seen in polo necks.
This is wherefrom I got the impression of the turtlneck as white collar, smart casual wear.

Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
You know that your clothes don't have to come from the same historical moment, right?

Yeah, but I like for a look to be integral if I can make it that way as I've committed enough blunders and I want to violate a rule of style only if I know I'm violating it.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the obligatory "can x piece + y piece work" type questions.

Listen up little dawgs, we cannot help you with these vague vacuum type questions without some context. What exactly do you mean by "trucker jacket"? This is pretty fricking important.

For example. Let's say you're thinking, "Oh **** yes I'm gonna wear my shiny luxe new turquoise MMM tneck that I kopped from Yoox for 80 dollars under this badass ratty vintage/repro thing covered in patches I found or maybe my slightly distressed All Saints denim jacket oh **** **** yeah" NO. That is probably a terrible idea. Maybe it could work depending on the rest of your outfit but chances are it's gonna be a little discordant.

On the other hand it would very acceptable and totally badass if you were trying to pair a thin wispy charcoal Raf Simons FW08 turtleneck under a black denim DRKSHDW jacket. This is actually a pretty common look for some of the SZ and other high fashion brands (slight military influence + layered high-neck drapery). For a less fashiony example, a thick knit trad oatmeal t-neck (I dunno these ******* Americana brands maybe Rag and Bone or Rogues Gallery or some ****?) would look super fly under a camel bomber or a cropped olive military style jacket.

So for the millionth time, there are no hard and fast rules. It's all about context.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads