• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tru

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anybody eaten in Tru lately? any advice?

*#..

Reaction score
I think the better question is, how does a thread with no replies have a 5 star rating?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
anybody eaten in Tru lately? any advice?
Did about a year ago. Excellent food. Probably some of the most formal service and dining room you'll find... certainly among the more formal places in North America. Don't know how it's faring without Tramonto. You will definitely want to go with a tasting menu. If you order A La Carte you WILL starve. The Celeriac soup is in my top 10 things that I've ever eaten. The deserts are divine, and I usually don't give a **** about deserts.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Did about a year ago. Excellent food. Probably some of the most formal service and dining room you'll find... certainly among the more formal places in North America. Don't know how it's faring without Tramonto. You will definitely want to go with a tasting menu. If you order A La Carte you WILL starve. The Celeriac soup is in my top 10 things that I've ever eaten. The deserts are divine, and I usually don't give a **** about deserts.
It's been a while for me for anything but the dessert only service ($35 after 11pm). +1 on the service; it's very elegantly choreographed. The dining room is small and intimate.. I actually liked it a little more than the private room w/ the chef's table. I believe if you do a tasting menu, all the people at your table will get served different things, which is cool until you don't get the thing you want, and the recipient refuses to share
plain.gif
I was pretty shocked it only got one M star - I wonder if that's a reflection of Tramonto's departure; although Martin's resume is drop-dead awesome. SField, you're probably one of the few people on here I assume has actually eaten at Seeger's. Would love to hear about that if you did... I'm not sure if he was the sous chef there up until it shuttered or earlier.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for the $35 late-night dessert menu.

The service is extraordinary. I once went with two friends, and even though we showed up late and were the last people dining, they gave us a ton of comps, and insisted on taking us on a tour of the kitchen.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been 2 or 3 years since I've eaten at Tru, but it was really good with superb service. I also went with the tasting menu. The choreography of the service is impressive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, my boss is taking my colleagues and me, with spouses, for dinner sat night, for our annual sales celebration. should be interesting. last year we went to a much less formal place. looks like there are a lot of truffles on the menu now.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, my boss is taking my colleagues and me, with spouses, for dinner sat night, for our annual sales celebration. should be interesting. last year we went to a much less formal place. looks like there are a lot of truffles on the menu now.

They're in season.

Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.

If you guys do order it, I'd say the Wagyu I had at Tru was some of the best I've had in the US. In fact I'll go ahead and say that besides the stuff at Alinea, it is the best. Hideously expensive. Only thing about Tru that I think is stupid (besides their sometimes over the top service) is their stupid "Luxury" menu.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're in season. Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.
OK - my meal was at the kitchen table, so maybe they are different in there. I just remember the soup course, where I got Curried Cauliflauer, and the rest of the table had Cream of Porcini, Lobster Bisque, and a Potato Leek. The guy that got the Bisque was nearly shot... So - any experience for you at Seeger's? I never made it there, although I was in Atlanta right before it closed. I was visiting a friend who was boarding a line cook - he was recounting his previous evening serving Bolud, Ducasse, and a few other luminary chefs who wanted to enjoy one last meal there before it closed.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're in season.

Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.

If you guys do order it, I'd say the Wagyu I had at Tru was some of the best I've had in the US. In fact I'll go ahead and say that besides the stuff at Alinea, it is the best. Hideously expensive. Only thing about Tru that I think is stupid (besides their sometimes over the top service) is their stupid "Luxury" menu.

it's going to be interesting - we are the various department heads, sales and marketing guys. while we like each other, we aren't all the type of people who play well together, so sharing won't be something that we embrace warmly. also, some of us are less used to formal meals than others. its going to be an interesting night.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's going to be interesting - we are the various department heads, sales and marketing guys. while we like each other, we aren't all the type of people who play well together, so sharing won't be something that we embrace warmly. also, some of us are less used to formal meals than others. its going to be an interesting night.

I've been to tru more than 5 times. I've never had to share anything.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
OK - my meal was at the kitchen table, so maybe they are different in there.

I just remember the soup course, where I got Curried Cauliflauer, and the rest of the table had Cream of Porcini, Lobster Bisque, and a Potato Leek. The guy that got the Bisque was nearly shot...

So - any experience for you at Seeger's? I never made it there, although I was in Atlanta right before it closed. I was visiting a friend who was boarding a line cook - he was recounting his previous evening serving Bolud, Ducasse, and a few other luminary chefs who wanted to enjoy one last meal there before it closed.

Yes, I was there I think more than 10 years ago... with a boss of mine. Excellent food. Pity only once.

Pat

Reaction score
bump

i am going to tru and bonsoiree at the end of the month, has anyone been to either lately?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pat
bump

i am going to tru and bonsoiree at the end of the month, has anyone been to either lately?

I was at tru end of january, really enjoyed it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Two forum members were at Tru in the last few weeks, but both only went for the dessert tasting. You can search for posts by indesertum or otc for a writeup on the dessert.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads