• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tru

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
anybody eaten in Tru lately? any advice?
 

*#..

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2009
Messages
684
Reaction score
7
I think the better question is, how does a thread with no replies have a 5 star rating?
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by globetrotter
anybody eaten in Tru lately? any advice?
Did about a year ago. Excellent food. Probably some of the most formal service and dining room you'll find... certainly among the more formal places in North America. Don't know how it's faring without Tramonto. You will definitely want to go with a tasting menu. If you order A La Carte you WILL starve. The Celeriac soup is in my top 10 things that I've ever eaten. The deserts are divine, and I usually don't give a shit about deserts.
 

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,217
Reaction score
160
Originally Posted by SField
Did about a year ago. Excellent food. Probably some of the most formal service and dining room you'll find... certainly among the more formal places in North America. Don't know how it's faring without Tramonto. You will definitely want to go with a tasting menu. If you order A La Carte you WILL starve. The Celeriac soup is in my top 10 things that I've ever eaten. The deserts are divine, and I usually don't give a shit about deserts.
It's been a while for me for anything but the dessert only service ($35 after 11pm). +1 on the service; it's very elegantly choreographed. The dining room is small and intimate.. I actually liked it a little more than the private room w/ the chef's table. I believe if you do a tasting menu, all the people at your table will get served different things, which is cool until you don't get the thing you want, and the recipient refuses to share
I was pretty shocked it only got one M star - I wonder if that's a reflection of Tramonto's departure; although Martin's resume is drop-dead awesome. SField, you're probably one of the few people on here I assume has actually eaten at Seeger's. Would love to hear about that if you did... I'm not sure if he was the sous chef there up until it shuttered or earlier.
 

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
21
I second the recommendation for the $35 late-night dessert menu.

The service is extraordinary. I once went with two friends, and even though we showed up late and were the last people dining, they gave us a ton of comps, and insisted on taking us on a tour of the kitchen.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
It's been 2 or 3 years since I've eaten at Tru, but it was really good with superb service. I also went with the tasting menu. The choreography of the service is impressive.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
thanks, my boss is taking my colleagues and me, with spouses, for dinner sat night, for our annual sales celebration. should be interesting. last year we went to a much less formal place. looks like there are a lot of truffles on the menu now.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by globetrotter
thanks, my boss is taking my colleagues and me, with spouses, for dinner sat night, for our annual sales celebration. should be interesting. last year we went to a much less formal place. looks like there are a lot of truffles on the menu now.

They're in season.

Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.

If you guys do order it, I'd say the Wagyu I had at Tru was some of the best I've had in the US. In fact I'll go ahead and say that besides the stuff at Alinea, it is the best. Hideously expensive. Only thing about Tru that I think is stupid (besides their sometimes over the top service) is their stupid "Luxury" menu.
 

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,217
Reaction score
160
Originally Posted by SField
They're in season. Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.
OK - my meal was at the kitchen table, so maybe they are different in there. I just remember the soup course, where I got Curried Cauliflauer, and the rest of the table had Cream of Porcini, Lobster Bisque, and a Potato Leek. The guy that got the Bisque was nearly shot... So - any experience for you at Seeger's? I never made it there, although I was in Atlanta right before it closed. I was visiting a friend who was boarding a line cook - he was recounting his previous evening serving Bolud, Ducasse, and a few other luminary chefs who wanted to enjoy one last meal there before it closed.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by SField
They're in season.

Ron, tasting menus were always uniform.

If you guys do order it, I'd say the Wagyu I had at Tru was some of the best I've had in the US. In fact I'll go ahead and say that besides the stuff at Alinea, it is the best. Hideously expensive. Only thing about Tru that I think is stupid (besides their sometimes over the top service) is their stupid "Luxury" menu.


it's going to be interesting - we are the various department heads, sales and marketing guys. while we like each other, we aren't all the type of people who play well together, so sharing won't be something that we embrace warmly. also, some of us are less used to formal meals than others. its going to be an interesting night.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by globetrotter
it's going to be interesting - we are the various department heads, sales and marketing guys. while we like each other, we aren't all the type of people who play well together, so sharing won't be something that we embrace warmly. also, some of us are less used to formal meals than others. its going to be an interesting night.

I've been to tru more than 5 times. I've never had to share anything.
 

SField

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
OK - my meal was at the kitchen table, so maybe they are different in there.

I just remember the soup course, where I got Curried Cauliflauer, and the rest of the table had Cream of Porcini, Lobster Bisque, and a Potato Leek. The guy that got the Bisque was nearly shot...

So - any experience for you at Seeger's? I never made it there, although I was in Atlanta right before it closed. I was visiting a friend who was boarding a line cook - he was recounting his previous evening serving Bolud, Ducasse, and a few other luminary chefs who wanted to enjoy one last meal there before it closed.


Yes, I was there I think more than 10 years ago... with a boss of mine. Excellent food. Pity only once.
 

Pat

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
51
bump

i am going to tru and bonsoiree at the end of the month, has anyone been to either lately?
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by Pat
bump

i am going to tru and bonsoiree at the end of the month, has anyone been to either lately?


I was at tru end of january, really enjoyed it.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,652
Reaction score
862
Two forum members were at Tru in the last few weeks, but both only went for the dessert tasting. You can search for posts by indesertum or otc for a writeup on the dessert.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,228
Messages
9,194,540
Members
193,105
Latest member
wbizbot

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top