• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trousers with side adjustors and brace buttons

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it some kind of faux pas to have both features?

If not, can I then wear these trousers without any braces and just using the side adjusters?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told by my English tailor that you normally have one or the other, but some people request both.

If a pair of trousers are cut with a fishback, then braces are really preferred, though sidetabs will work also in that case. The pants for one of my suits was cut this way, but there was a mixup and the pants had sidetabs, but they forgot to sew on the brace buttons, so I wore it for a few months with sidetabs until I could get the buttons put on. It worked fine, though the line of the trousers were much better with braces.

--Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've never heard that side tabs and brace buttons are a faux pas. It surprises me that a tailor would say so.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brace buttons on the outside of the waistband or the inside?

Edit: medwards beat me to my second thought. Isn't the point of braces that the waistband isn't tight at all, and the point of adjusters to alter the tightness of a tight waistband?

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've never heard that side tabs and brace buttons are a faux pas. It surprises me that a tailor would say so.

No, but trousers to be worn with braces should be cut differently than those to be self-supporting at the waist.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a belt guy but now I request both side adjusters & braces buttons on suits I order. This was after finding out how nice it was to have both options available on a few RTW suits I own.

I tend to wear them with braces during the day for work, but if I'm going out at night wearing the suit, I can rely on the side adjusters alone because it looks nicer without braces if you take your jacket off in a bar or whatever.

Yeah, I can be pretty shallow sometimes. So sue me.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
No, but trousers to be worn with braces should be cut differently than those to be self-supporting at the waist.

Looser, but the shape can be the same.

I get a rear strap with high back trousers, and side straps with straight waistband trousers. The idea is not so much function (they do nothing) I just like the way they look, and dislike the total absense of any detailing.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looser, but the shape can be the same.

Yes, though I understand that there are some gentlemen who need a higher back trouser for their braces to fit properly. For these individuals, adding extension tabs in the back might be advisable as well as just having brace buttons as well as side tabs.

I get a rear strap with high back trousers, and side straps with straight waistband trousers. The idea is not so much function (they do nothing) I just like the way they look, and dislike the total absense of any detailing.

In terms of your personal preference, do I understand you to mean that your trousers are cut for -- and held up by --braces but that you have side tabs added for ornamental purposes? That is, in fact, what I do. Of course, there are some who take the opposite approach, which is to have their trousers self-supporting...but add the brace buttons for insurance if they lose weight or believe they will be engaged in somewhat vigorous activity.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I've been told by my English tailor that you normally have one or the other, but some people request both. If a pair of trousers are cut with a fishback, then braces are really preferred, though sidetabs will work also in that case. The pants for one of my suits was cut this way, but there was a mixup and the pants had sidetabs, but they forgot to sew on the brace buttons, so I wore it for a few months with sidetabs until I could get the buttons put on. It worked fine, though the line of the trousers were much better with braces. --Andre
Wait, you wore your High, English back trousers with no braces? I dont think theres a problem with regularly waisted pants with both the D-ring side adusters and/or daks style side tabe AND suspender buttons. I am not quite sure what exactly is meant by Medwards when he says ...but trousers to be worn with braces should be cut differently than those to be self-supporting at the waist. My reading may be confused. If it means that pants like Mr. Wang's should be cut to be worn with suspenders and when worn without them on the same spot on the waist, the side straps should be pulled or buttoned more snuggly, then I agree. I suppose there could be a difference in cut depending on how you like to wear your pants but then why would you put the suspender buttons in?

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I am not quite sure what exactly is meant by Medwards when he says ...but trousers to be worn with braces should be cut differently than those to be self-supporting at the waist.

Trousers that are to be supported by braces should properly be supported by one's shoulders, not one's waist. Consequently, the waist should be ample and free enough to allow this to occur. Self-supporting trousers need to be snug enough at the waist to keep from falling down.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right or wrong, all my bespoke suit trousers have side adjusters and I wear them with braces.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers that are to be supported by braces should properly be supported by one's shoulders, not one's waist. Consequently, the waist should be ample and free enough to allow this to occur. Self-supporting trousers need to be snug enough at the waist to keep from falling down.
Hi, sorry, I think I wasnt quite sure what you meant. This could be so, i never considered them to be different to that extent. Of course because it is custom, you can do whatever you like with trousers. I personally wear them in roughly the same spot with or without braces and just hike the tabs in tightly. I think if you wear heavy goods like 14+ ozs, looser pants may slide down a little no matter how tightly you pull the side straps. You might thus need to pull your pants up from time to time but this seems like small price to pay to have the option of wearing your pants either way.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL suits and pants come with buttons and side tabs, for whatever that is worth. LOL.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
In terms of your personal preference, do I understand you to mean that your trousers are cut for -- and held up by --braces but that you have side tabs added for ornamental purposes? That is, in fact, what I do.

This is what I do as well. I confess, however, that I am inconsistent with using braces (particularly since I have only recently considered getting vests with my suits). I more often go braceless, and it is a fact that I really have to winch in the side adjustors...not at all optimal, but I do not feel it affects appearence as much as comfort.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads