• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trousers lining

alchimiste

Reaction score
What fabric is used for the lining of trousers ? what are the criteria in the choice of this fabric?

Mathieu

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What fabric is used for the lining of trousers ? what are the criteria in the choice of this fabric?

Mathieu
I'd like to know answer to this question too.

Looks like I've got silk (or Bemberg) on some heavy flannels and on tropical weight MTM southwicks something that isn't "silky" feeling but very lightweight none-the-less. Something more like a cheesecloth (though not really -- forgive the poverty of my sartorial imagination).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most trousers are lined because the outer fabric will feel abrasive against the skin otherwise. Heavier flannels and tweeds in particular.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in addition it lessens the effects of wear on the knees and thighs (of the trousers). this being the location that gets strained when sitting.

stache

Reaction score
The outer fabric slides over the lining so it is less likely to bag at the knee from stretching.

alchimiste

Reaction score
My question was more about the choice of fabric. If it's been decided that the trousers would be lined then which fabric is used for the lining? Why acetate and not linen or cotton for instance?

Phil

Reaction score
Linen and cotton would be innapropriate lining materials because linings are supposed to be smooth and "slippery". Using cotton or linen would be totally against common sense in this regard. It would be like lining your pants with fine gauge sandpaper. Acetate, however, might work, who knows.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen and cotton would be innapropriate lining materials because linings are supposed to be smooth and "slippery".  Using cotton or linen would be totally against common sense in this regard.  It would be like lining your pants with fine gauge sandpaper.  Acetate, however, might work, who knows.
Why do you question acetate? Anything about the material's function?

I just checked an old Press suit's trousers that I had lined to the knee. It looks like a material that is natural, and very similar to what trouser makers use for pockets and waistband. Maybe it's cheap or maybe it's not the best thing to use, but I've never really noticed it to be non-functional or a bother....In fact, never noticed it at all really until reading this forum. But such perhaps is the case with a lot of matters sartorial.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Bemberg is best, I think. It is smooth, allowing the knees to glide more easily. It is not as hot as silk. It is more durable than silk. And it is cheaper; thus when it does wear out at the knees (as it inevitably will) it is cheaper to replace.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
How much does it cost to get pants re-lined? I mean the whole thing, inlcuding the band, pockets, etc.? Thanks.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had some trousers made that are lined in the front and back.  Anyone ever heard of lining in both the front and back?

Jill

Reaction score
I recently had some trousers made that are lined in the front and back.  Anyone ever heard of lining in both the front and back?
Almost all women's trousers are fully lined - front and back, from waist to cuff. I've often wondered why men's aren't. The only thing I could come up with is that men tend to run a little "hotter" (body temp), and perhaps would find the full lining too warm??

I haven't any idea, really. I'm just speculating. Personally, I like the full lining.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Almost all women's trousers are fully lined - front and back, from waist to cuff.
Lining in front down to the knee is really the useful part. Full lining just changes the feel because only the lining is against your skin. So if you like the lining fabric better full lining is good, otherwise you can do without.

Mathieu

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads