1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trouser Waist Size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheRookie, Dec 4, 2004.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Senior member

My jacket size is a 43 or 44 depending on the suit, while my waist is a 32 or 33 depending on dinner. I've usually bought items from the separates lines at either Brooks or Banks. If I were to purchase a suit off of ebay, what is the most I can expect a competent tailor to take the waist in without destroying the trousers (e.g. can a 37 be made a 33)?

2. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Look for suits with a "drop" (the difference between the chest and the waist) of 8", rather than the usual 6". The 8" drop is "athletic fit" and it'll get you down to a 35" waist to start with (on a 43 suit).

Then, a decent tailor should be able to take in the extra 2" without too much trouble.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I think that you could get a good 4 inches taken in with a pretty simple recut of the pants. It will probably cost $50 more than if you just took the waist in 2 inches.

Also though, make sure you are wearing your pants high enough on the waist -- I've found that with suit pants my waist is a bit bigger than I'd expect, just because I'm not wearing them below the waist as I do with jeans, etc.

4. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I have the same problem. My chest and waist measurements are 42" and 30.5" respectively. My experience has been that when you start altering trousers that are 4" to 5" too large in the waist, there are other parts of the trousers that have to be altered as well. For example, the more you take in the waist, the closer the belt loops move together, so they have to be moved apart. Also the rise has to be altered. I wear my trousers pretty high (right under my navel), and even then, the rise is still way too low. This can get pretty expensive. If you don't like separates, you might want to consider MTM. Just my two cents.