• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser rise and pleat vs plain.

Vizard

Reaction score
For the longest time, I have worn flat fronted trousers and a relatively low waistband. It is what has been for sale RTW and what tailors have automatically tended towards. I have four suits in production, all of them in that style. I am quite stocky and I think it suits me.

However, I am seeing more higher waistband / single pleat trousers from some RTW makers and on tailors themselves.

Is the higher rise / single pleat look a fashion thing or is there going to be a return to higher waistbands and pleats?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the longest time, I have worn flat fronted trousers and a relatively low waistband. It is what has been for sale RTW and what tailors have automatically tended towards. I have four suits in production, all of them in that style. I am quite stocky and I think it suits me.

However, I am seeing more higher waistband / single pleat trousers from some RTW makers and on tailors themselves.

Is the higher rise / single pleat look a fashion thing or is there going to be a return to higher waistbands and pleats?

Both have existed side by side for quite a while though in terms of what is en Vogue, that’s gone back and forth. In the 80’s, the baggier, deep pleats look was in thanks to Armani.

I like both. Whatever style, I prefer a regular rise (natural waist as opposed to the lower rise). Certainly with a suit as a lower rise would look really, really odd.

nubirth

Reaction score
The low rise is for out of shape profiles and blue jeans.

Vizard

Reaction score
Both have existed side by side for quite a while though in terms of what is en Vogue, that’s gone back and forth. In the 80’s, the baggier, deep pleats look was in thanks to Armani.

I like both. Whatever style, I prefer a regular rise (natural waist as opposed to the lower rise). Certainly with a suit as a lower rise would look really, really odd.

Well, one's natural waist is above the belly button typically. What I am referring to is probably 2 inches below. My tailors are on Savile Row (I use three tailors there) and I really hope they wouldn't allow me to leave with odd looking suits!

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
Single pleat for suits, always. Casual pants - single or double pleat (your choice) or plain front. They all work if you are in good shape and not overweight. And know how to put a "look" together.

Pleats have a slimming effect if you have purchased the right size.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailors are on Savile Row (I use three tailors there) and I really hope they wouldn't allow me to leave with odd looking suits!

I can’t claim to know too much about SR tailors or specifically yours, but good communication with your tailor is key to preventing this from happening.

Vizard

Reaction score
I am quite confident that my tailors know what they are doing. Flat fronts and a lower rise have been fairly standard in the UK for some time. My question really was what the opinion here was regarding whether waistbands will rise and pleats become more common.

Given that there is a strong US contingent here, and that I think US cuts tend to differ from the UK (pleats more popular), I am not sure whether here was the ideal place to ask the question.

nubirth

Reaction score
Wear what you like and what is flattering on you.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The general idea here is to wear what's flattering on you, rather than follow trends.

Generally speaking, when you wear a tailored jacket, you want the waistband to be a little higher on the body so that it doesn't result in a "shirt triangle" below your buttoning point. Meaning, when you wear your coat fastened, you shouldn't be able to see your shirt below the fastened button.

I don't mind wearing lower rise trousers with casualwear, but prefer a higher rise with tailored clothing for the reason just stated. As the rise goes up, I also prefer pleats. I find that pleats help visually break up the expanse of fabric that takes up your lap.

I also think the cut of the trousers should work in concert with your jacket. Think about how the two intersect to create a coherent silhouette. I like drape cut jackets, and think that pleated trousers look more coherent with that style of jacket. That said, I know many men who are very well dressed and wear the same type of jacket with flat fronts.

Some dress traditions will dictate how you should style the trousers, depending on how you're trying to look. A very Modish suit will call for flat fronts.

Instead of thinking about whether higher rises or pleats are "in" or "out," I would think about various dress traditions, the look you're trying to portray, and what works best for your personality and body type.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have never decided on the trouser height in relation to one's navel. Waistband seam should rest just on/above the hip bone. That's my reference point. This helps the trouser to stay fixed at the waist.

Vizard

Reaction score
Have never decided on the trouser height in relation to one's navel. Waistband seam should rest just on/above the hip bone. That's my reference point. This helps the trouser to stay fixed at the waist.

That's how all my trousers are made. My observation was that I am seeing more that are being made with a height nearer the natural waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads