• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser length

Fgustaf

Reaction score
My fiance just got his Spier & Mackay suit tailored for our June wedding. Our tailor said that pants are running shorter this year, and I just wanted to check with all of you! Obviously, he's not wearing socks in these photos, but will for the wedding (as well as a tie). How does the length look?

Attachments

• PXL_20210504_205638453~2.jpg
    PXL_20210504_205638453~2.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 285
  • PXL_20210504_205625470.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210504_205625470.MP~2.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 370
  • PXL_20210504_205619764~2.jpg
    PXL_20210504_205619764~2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 373

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The entire suit looks short. Pants and jacket.

Never listen to a tailor who says that pants are running shorter "this year". Is he suppose to chuck the suit afterwards until the "trend" comes back.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short and too narrow.

For the tailor to say that pants are running shorter this year is like a chef saying the soup is running salty this week. He’s the tailor. He’s not tailoring to the whims of today. He’s tailoring to your preference regardless of the trends.

it’s too short. Like the soup, send it back.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Too short and too narrow.

For the tailor to say that pants are running shorter this year is like a chef saying the soup is running salty this week. He’s the tailor. He’s not tailoring to the whims of today. He’s tailoring to your preference regardless of the trends.

it’s too short. Like the soup, send it back.
Ok. Too narrow where? Is the jacket too short too?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. Too narrow where? Is the jacket too short too?

the whole thing to be honest. But your specific post, at least this one as you’ve posted about his wedding suit before, was about the pants. The leg opening is way to narrow. I prefer a narrower leg opening too but those look like jeans. Are they about 13”?

the leg opening could stand to be around an inch wider, the trousers could stand to have a little break in them. That way the shoes won’t look so freakishly big.

The irony is, he seems to have a good physique. The suit just makes it look terrible.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
the whole thing to be honest. But your specific post, at least this one as you’ve posted about his wedding suit before, was about the pants. The leg opening is way to narrow. I prefer a narrower leg opening too but those look like jeans. Are they about 13”?

the leg opening could stand to be around an inch wider, the trousers could stand to have a little break in them. That way the shoes won’t look so freakishly big.

The irony is, he seems to have a good physique. The suit just makes it look terrible.
Ok. I agree, thank you! Is the jacket too tight, do you think?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly did the tailor do to the suit? I take it that the trouser legs were narrowed? Was the jacket taken in or shortened? Is this a regular jacket length or a short jacket? I am familiar with Spier and Mackay suits and this looks like it’s been altered fairly significantly.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
What exactly did the tailor do to the suit? I take it that the trouser legs were narrowed? Was the jacket taken in or shortened? Is this a regular jacket length or a short jacket? I am familiar with Spier and Mackay suits and this looks like it’s been altered fairly significantly.
Jacket was not taken in, but was shortened. Size is 32R. Sleeves were also shortened, and pants shortened and taken in. I do believe they did something with the back of the jacket to help it lay better.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It doesn't look good right now.

As I said in my first post, the jacket and pants are short.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look good right now.

As I said in my first post, the jacket and pants are short.
Yes, unfortunately I think shortening the jacket was a mistake. It is rarely a good idea to shorten the body of a jacket as it tends to throw the balance off. One might not be able to say exactly why it looks off, but now the distance between the buttons and hip pockets to the bottom of the jacket is off. Not only is the jacket short but the visual proportions of the jacket are off.

The trousers can probably be let back out and lengthened, but the jacket probably cannot.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I think shortening the jacket was a mistake. It is rarely a good idea to shorten the body of a jacket as it tends to throw the balance off. One might not be able to say exactly why it looks off, but now the distance between the buttons and hip pockets to the bottom of the jacket is off. Not only is the jacket short but the visual proportions of the jacket are off.

The trousers can probably be let back out and lengthened, but the jacket probably cannot.

Ok. We will try again with tailoring. So... Let the pants out an inch in the leg, an inch longer at the hem, and see if they can fix the jacket length.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When he goes to try to salvage the suit, please tell him to wear a proper shirt and shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads