• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Trouser length

adrianvo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok. We will try again with tailoring. So... Let the pants out an inch in the leg, an inch longer at the hem, and see if they can fix the jacket length.
Please post the results after the attempt to salvage it. I will be genuinely happy and impressed if it can be done well! 🙏

Fgustaf

Reaction score
On another note, how do y'all feel about the shirt and shoes?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shirt and floors are ok.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally would be careful of going back to that tailor. Would find a new tailor who can work on your suit.

Ultimately, you have to find someone with the eye and skill to be able to make that suit work. I don't think it's a good idea to take internet strangers' instructions to a tailor. If you're working with a good tailor, they don't need your instructions. If you're working with a bad tailor, instructions won't make them into a good tailor, as you yourself are not a tailor.

If you tell us your city, there may be some people here who have experience with tailors in that area. Alternatively, you can call a high-end menswear retailer and ask what local tailors they recommend. Call a place that sells high-end suits (e.g. things that retail for $3,000+)

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Personally would be careful of going back to that tailor. Would find a new tailor who can work on your suit.

Ultimately, you have to find someone with the eye and skill to be able to make that suit work. I don't think it's a good idea to take internet strangers' instructions to a tailor. If you're working with a good tailor, they don't need your instructions. If you're working with a bad tailor, instructions won't make them into a good tailor, as you yourself are not a tailor.

If you tell us your city, there may be some people here who have experience with tailors in that area. Alternatively, you can call a high-end menswear retailer and ask what local tailors they recommend. Call a place that sells high-end suits (e.g. things that retail for $3,000+)
Great advice! We live in Scottsdale, AZ.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great advice! We live in Scottsdale, AZ.
Unfortunately, I don't know any tailors in Scottsdale. I also don't know anyone on this board who lives in Scottsdale (there may be people and I just don't know). I wish I could give a more specific recommendation.

I would call some store like your local Neiman Marcus. Ask to speak to the men's suit department. Then ask that person who do they recommend for a local alterations' tailor. Some of these places have in-house tailors, but they may also have a local network of people they farm things out to. Or they may just know the area well. If you call three or four of these places, see if you can come to a consensus. Maybe a name keeps showing up between all these high-end stores. Try that person.

When going to a tailor, part of what you're paying for is their eye. You want someone who can give you a suit in a flattering silhouette. The tailor you used does not have a good eye, so I would not go back.

Here is a very simple checklist to see whether a suit fits. But use this only as a guide to follow up on the tailor's work. Don't be heavy-handed with the tailor. If you're working with a good tailor, they don't need you to micromanage them. Oftentimes, I see poor results arise from the customer meddling too much.

This list has links, where you can read more about each issue.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't know any tailors in Scottsdale. I also don't know anyone on this board who lives in Scottsdale (there may be people and I just don't know). I wish I could give a more specific recommendation.

I would call some store like your local Neiman Marcus. Ask to speak to the men's suit department. Then ask that person who do they recommend for a local alterations' tailor. Some of these places have in-house tailors, but they may also have a local network of people they farm things out to. Or they may just know the area well. If you call three or four of these places, see if you can come to a consensus. Maybe a name keeps showing up between all these high-end stores. Try that person.

When going to a tailor, part of what you're paying for is their eye. You want someone who can give you a suit in a flattering silhouette. The tailor you used does not have a good eye, so I would not go back.

Here is a very simple checklist to see whether a suit fits. But use this only as a guide to follow up on the tailor's work. Don't be heavy-handed with the tailor. If you're working with a good tailor, they don't need you to micromanage them. Oftentimes, I see poor results arise from the customer meddling too much.

This list has links, where you can read more about each issue.

Thank you for this insight. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the suit jacket; is it quite unlikely they'll be able to lengthen it? (Even though they were the ones who shortened it?)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for this insight. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the suit jacket; is it quite unlikely they'll be able to lengthen it? (Even though they were the ones who shortened it?)
Unfortunately, I don't know.

Next time the tailor asks how long you want the suit jacket, say: "as long as I have the suit trousers."

(sorry, not helpful. I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say my little joke)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.