• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser Leg Opening Size: What Range is Acceptable, How You Should Decide

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gents,
While I have gained greatly from exposure to SF taste, advice, and expertise, there's one part of the canon of SF style that I still resist: the narrow leg openings that seem to be in favor for trousers. This may be just a personal thing, as I have big feet (size 11.5), which I think are made to look more oversized still when surrounded by a trouser with a 7.75" leg opening. But also I don't like the extremely tapered trouser look, and I like there to be more fabric available to move and flow as I walk if it's a nice linen or wool fabric that has a nice drape to it (doesn't apply to cotton and stiffer wool pants, which I usually get narrower). The pants I like best are closer to a 10" opening. Am I crazy and just have poor taste in this regard? In addition to foot size, what size openings accord best with different body types? If it informs the discussion of my personal taste, I'm 6'2, 185.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10" seems pretty wide for a leg opening. I'm 6'4" and wear a size 12 or 13 shoe and all of my trousers are somewhere between 8" and 8.5". I used to have some that were around 7.5"-7.75" but those were definitely too narrow...now I won't go below 8"

jqmunro

Reaction score
My recent experience has been, the more narrow openings are a bit more appropriate for social type settings and a bit wider for work/business. For me I noticed the 7.75" are more comfortable for me when I'm out for a coffee or dinner. In a work setting something closer to 8-8.25" is more appropriate, IMHO.

Note: I'm 5'10" and about 160-165lbs

Last edited:

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the size of your feet (shoes) than your height.

I'm a size 8, so I prefer narrower openings (around 8"). However, too narrow looks too fashion-y for me, so not much narrower than that.

Also, because of my size 8 feet, I prefer more sleek lasts - less rounded ends (like C&J 348/358).

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6' 2", 200lb and I take a 8" - 8.5" cuff.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'8" with size 7 shoes and I'm currently trying out a 7.5 inch opening.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6'-0", 205 lbs, size 11 (EU44) and for my business clothes I do 9" - 9.5" which will always be acceptable forever. Proportions are vital to fit.
For my streetwear I am all over the place with it some narow legs some not. Whatever width of pant leg, choose footwear that at least appears proportionate. Boots are always great with narrow pants as they give just the right balance on the overall asthetics.

yndmrk91

Reaction score
I like this thread because I had my trousers tapered very recently. I went with 9" most of mine are 8.5" (smallest as I have only 1) to 9" (I have 5 or 6). I am about 5-9 and 180lbs, and growing. I'm 20 and in college so I work out often (I'll stop at 200 I promise) with an 11 wide dress shoes.

Last edited:

keshwa01

Reaction score
I'm 6' 1" and 175 lbs, size 10 shoes. I like my casual stuff to be about 7.75" while suit pant should be about 8", seems like a small difference, but it looks completely different

GloStiX

Reaction score
I am 5'7", wear sz 9-9.5 depending on brand, prefer leg openings around 6-7".

It depends on how fat your cankles are, not how big your feet and other appendages are.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I've seen this exact conversation in SW&D and over there it's frickin' high-larious. You say 8" is good, someone else says that's gigantic and 7" is more like it. You say 7", someone says that's huge and insist he wants 6" with elastic or some s**t. It's like a perpetual one-upsmanship to see who can pull off the most pronounced clown-shoe effect.

JFKJean

Reaction score

Idk, I don't have particularly large ankles...but for instance, the look on the gent pictured here....I just can't go for it.

Also it goes without saying that you want skinnier pants hemmed shorter, yes?

I'm 5'11 150, size 11 feet so my casual trousers are at 7.5 and dressier ones at 8, no more than 8.25. I personally go for this look because of the slim proportions but for the bigger thigh/top heavy gents should definitely be wary of this so as to not end up looking pizza shaped.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, one designer that consistently makes larger leg openings is Armani. I know he doesn't get a lot of love around these parts and maybe that's part of why, but I tend to favor their pants in part for this reason. However I have just ordered a couple of skinnier pants (more in the 8.25 - 8.5" range) and look forward to giving them go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads