• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser Leg Opening Size: What Range is Acceptable, How You Should Decide

johanm

Reaction score

I'm 6' 2" 190 and anything larger than 8.5" and I feel like I'm wearing pants from a 90's suit. I like 8" for a fashionable look and 8.25 for a more traditional look. I've come to appreciate how much of a difference 1/4" makes in the overall look.

I have similar dimensions and am in the same boat for trouser length - 8.25" on suits and heavy wool trousers, 8" on more casual trousers. My only additional caveat is that I need to have a decent trouser break or my legs will look like inverted carrots and/or my feet will look humongous. The amount of break shown in the pic of Cravate Noire above is about right for me.

Terpo

Reaction score
Shouldn't the trouser cover around 2/3 of your shoe?

I'm 6'3'', size 11 and my 8.25'' openings don't even cover close to that much. Next trousers will be an experiment with 9'' opening.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and 185lbs with an 11.5 shoe size. I just measured the pants from Chris Despos: 9". My RLBL pants: 9". My bespoke work from Bangkok: 9". I think it is safe to say I prefer 9" for my frame and so do those that make my clothes.

wannabestyled

Reaction score
I like the 2/3s rule mentioned earlier. Much less than that and my size 13's resemble canoes.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious. Does anyone think the presence or absence of a break affects the optimum width?

Cheers,

Ac

kasper007

Reaction score
my rule for a perfect leg opening is that the pant should only dover the first eyelet when i'm wearing oxford. it usually works out to 7.5 - 7.75" in and i'm 6'0 and 170 lb

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this leg opening is perfect. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
I would disagree that this is perfect,... ...but I agree that these little leg openings fit this type of suit with a short jacket and a wide gape under the coat button providing a view on the waistcoat, which is much too short such that the belt :)confused:) is visible.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
I call the overly tapered pant leg popular among some #menswear types the "bird legged" look. I have to think people who wear that will later look back at photos and regret it as well as regret money spent at tailors ruining nice pants.

That said, having a tall/thinner frame and scrawny feet (size 9.5 at 6'1" tall), I like a moderately trim leg opening that still allows for the classic drape of mens dress pants (I think 8.5 - 9" usually works best).

Chowkin

Reaction score
I think this leg opening is perfect.

Trousers are too long. With slim openings you need shorter pants to gvie you a clean look:

20131114_cb2c6782b1ff6fcd8ceex00wIQ9XAXrB.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying but I see that pant being just a bit too short. I don't need to see the sock when standing and I can from the side.

-Or-

As Luciano Barbera said.....

There are many schools on trouser length. In America they are often worn so that the pant leg tumbles over the shoes.
Many Europeans now wear them quite short. You even show a little sock.
What can I say? Perhaps we Europeans are secretly afraid of flash floods. The picture at right shows, quite literally, where I stand. I call this the Mid-Atlantic Solution since it is halfway between Europe and America.
The pants just breaking lightly on the shoe. I do not want to see your socks, but I do want to see your shoes.

Trousers are too long.  With slim openings you need shorter pants to gvie you a clean look:

20131114_cb2c6782b1ff6fcd8ceex00wIQ9XAXrB.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads