• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser Cuffs are so 2005

tlmusic

Reaction score
While browsing at the local Barnes and Noble bookstore, I took a quick look at the latest men's style magazines. You know, the usual suspects: GQ, Esquire, Men's Vogue, etc.

One noticeable feature was the complete lack of trouser cuffs (turn ups). The only ad that featured trouser cuffs was an Allen Edmonds shoe advertisment. All the other brands from Hermes to Neiman's to Lauren to Brioni to Brooks Brothers depicted pants with no cuffs on suits or odd trousers.

So, do we need to run straight to the tailor and get any offending remaining cuffs slashed off our garments? Will exhibiting cuffs be the mark of an unstylish cad?

When we remove our cuffs, will the fashion industry institute a rule two years later dictating that all trousers must feature 2 1/2" cuffs? By then there won't be enough fabric, and we'll have to buy all new clothes!

Discuss.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make your own style, no reason to be another sheep.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing lately. Now that they've killed pleated pants they're trying to kill cuffs as well. It's like the next step in the Thom Brown man-boy style.

Of course the nice thing about having style is that you don't have to follow the whims of fashion. No doubt this too will pass and those of us with good style can ride it out.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
While browsing at the local Barnes and Noble bookstore, I took a quick look at the latest men's fashion-trash, throw away because it's too hard on ****** to wipe magazines. You know, the usual suspects: GQ, Esquire, Men's Vogue, etc.

One noticeable feature was the complete lack of trouser cuffs (turn ups). The only ad that featured trouser cuffs was an Allen Edmonds shoe advertisment. All the other brands from Hermes to Neiman's to Lauren to Brioni to Brooks Brothers depicted pants with no cuffs on suits or odd trousers.

So, do we need to run straight to the tailor and get any offending remaining cuffs slashed off our garments? Will exhibiting cuffs be the mark of an unstylish cad?

When we remove our cuffs, will the fashion industry institute a rule two years later dictating that all trousers must feature 2 1/2" cuffs? By then there won't be enough fabric, and we'll have to buy all new clothes!

Discuss.

Correction.

Stick with Mens' Ex from Japan, that's a true Style magazine

cvac

Reaction score
I prefer flat fronted pants, but there is no way I'm getting rid of cuffs. I like my trousers to be cuffed.

Overall I think pleats vs. flat fronts and cuffs or plain bottoms really comes down to personal preference.

Funny, plain bottoms were popular in the 80s.

I wouldn't put too much stock in BB ads or displays. Often you'll see them show jackets with the bottom button done up.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I wonder if this "fashion trend" is motivated by thrift. Do factories save loads of money when they provide less fabric for trousers?

Plus, as mentioned above, when they reverse the course in more extravagant times, won't we have to buy new pants?

DerekH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I wonder if this "fashion trend" is motivated by thrift. Do factories save loads of money when they provide less fabric for trousers?

Plus, as mentioned above, when they reverse the course in more extravagant times, won't we have to buy new pants?

The cost to for the extra fabric is negligible.

Yes you would have to buy new pants because yours are OUT OF STYLE! Run to the store and swipe the cc
wink.gif

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always cuffed pleated pants and left flat front pants uncuffed. I think I will continue to do this regardless of this month's GQ.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
I prefer flat fronted pants, but there is no way I'm getting rid of cuffs. I like my trousers to be cuffed.
+1, but I adhere to this rule for suits only.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I have always cuffed pleated pants and left flat front pants uncuffed. I think I will continue to do this regardless of this month's GQ.

+2

This is the general rule.

Cuffs and Pleats are stylish as well as functional.

Functional:
Pleats are extra fabric that allows the wearer to sit without wrinkling his trousers.
The cuffs add weight for the pants to hang correctly.

Stylish:
When standing with feet together, the pleats create crisp vertical lines when viewed from the sides and create a flat area for the man's frontal area.

The problem as I see it is that too much of womens fashion is creeping into mens clothing. Pleats do not exist in the world of womens clothing, and as more and more men do not even dress themselves women are destroying the functional elements than mens clothing has had for hundreds of years.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
So what? I still want cuffs on my trousers - at least the ones I wear with sport coats.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not my custom to be influenced by magazines whose sole purpose is to make money for their proprietors.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
I don't wear cuffs on anything. They're not practical, and I like to keep the details like that to a minimum(I don't wear lapel pins, cuffs, pleats, wide lapels or wide ties, etc. like to keep things simple)

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I've noticed the same thing lately. Now that they've killed pleated pants they're trying to kill cuffs as well. It's like the next step in the Thom Brown man-boy style.

Of course the nice thing about having style is that you don't have to follow the whims of fashion. No doubt this too will pass and those of us with good style can ride it out.

thom browne is rarely seen cuff-less

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I agree with choosing your own style. Cuffed or uncuffed, I have both in my closet. I will say that suits with double pleated trousers look best with cuffs. They seem to flap around a bit when left uncuffed.

Esquire and GQ have some good tips and great interviews but the fashion changes from month to month. If style changed that fast in the real world we would be buying all new suits every season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics