• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser cuff/turn-up question

DAK

Reaction score
Recently on Permanent Style I came across this comment from SC about finishing a pair of unhemmed trousers: "I wanted them finished with a 5cm turn-up, and after ascertaining that there was enough cloth to do this the proper way (doubled over on the outside, then tucked inside) ...." (https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020...ions.html?mc_cid=4a40d52827&mc_eid=882ca2dca5)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this, but I didn't think there were various methods of adding cuffs to pants -- aside from picking different widths for the cuff. I think all the pants I have with cuffs are turned up 1x then sewn , not doubled over and tucked inside. Can someone help me out here?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think the language used is misleading. The corduroy trouser is finished in a conventional way. Outlet turned up and sewn, cuff turned up and tacked. His comment about the overlock stitching (serging stitch done on a serging machine) keeps the finish of the hem looking like the outlet seams which are also serged. Some tailors put a cross stitch over the unfinished edge to contain the raveling if they don't use a serging machine.
Some shops turn the raw edge under at the edge of the hem so what you see is a folded edge on the hem. Too bulky to do this on a heavy cloth.
End of this week I am hemming a cuff with an alternate method. The outlet is finished between the cuff and the trouser leg and there is no visible outlet on the inside of the trouser leg. Will come back to this thread and post a picture.

Reactions: DAK

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something like this?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, like that.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of this week I am hemming a cuff with an alternate method. The outlet is finished between the cuff and the trouser leg and there is no visible outlet on the inside of the trouser leg. Will come back to this thread and post a picture.
Maybe I'm picturing this incorrectly, but won't you end up with the reverse side of the fabric and the inside of the trouser seam visible on the outside of the cuff? I'm sure the picture will explain all.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cuff looks the same as any other on the outside. You won’t see the hem anywhere, it will be hidden. This is how I learned to cuff trousers when I was an apprentice. Trying to impress a client a long time ago and made his cuffs this way. He liked it and insists on this method. Finishing a new trouser for him this week and will post a picture after they are hemmed.

DAK

Reaction score
I will look forward to those pictures too.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
crispy, You are close but overshot the mark.
Pull line 3 back and tuck it up between the middle line and the far right line (between the two short lines; the outlines of the cuff) and you have it figured out.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will look forward to those pictures too.
Mr. DAK, you will have to look forward to it because it is in the future! Welcome to style forum and enjoy your stay here!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cuffs are made; here are a few pictures illustrating the hidden hem.
Inside of the leg at the opening

Interior shot of the hem

Below is a picture of the Cuff. Not sure if it shows, but the cuff is angled downward from front to back. One inch longer in back than the front. See, it can be done!

This is how we reinforce the crotch area to slow down or stop wearing thru in the thigh.

Outside, we add another layer of the cloth and try to match the grain line so it is less obvious.
We use pocketing fabric on the inside.

Do both inside and out because it's hard to discern which direction they wear thru. If you have this issue this helps a lot. If the pocketing or the external cloth wears thru; you can change it before it effects the actual trouser cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads