• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trouble paying attention in class; going in the wrong direction?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sit in the first row.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get more sleep and make sure to eat breakfast.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Keep your laptop in your bag. Write your notes by hand. If you find yourself drifting, start writing everything the prof says. It'll keep you focused.

Still drifting? Commit yourself to asking 3 or 4 questions in each class. Not wanting to sound like a fool will make you pay attention more closely. (and you may have to actually ask some questions and look like a fool...getting embarassed teaches a lesson)

jag

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Sit in the first row.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
Get more sleep and make sure to eat breakfast.

Originally Posted by jagmqt
Keep your laptop in your bag. Write your notes by hand. If you find yourself drifting, start writing everything the prof says. It'll keep you focused.

Still drifting? Commit yourself to asking 3 or 4 questions in each class. Not wanting to sound like a fool will make you pay attention more closely. (and you may have to actually ask some questions and look like a fool...getting embarassed teaches a lesson)

jag

All decent advice. If you have mild ADD, coffee sometimes works.

Septavius

Reaction score
If you know what the day's topic is going to be, try to skim over it in some reading the night before. You don't have to do any intensive studying or memorizing, just briefly review it for maybe 10 minutes. When you encounter it on lecture day, your mind will be better prepped to listen, be easier to remember, and make more sense than if you hadn't. This actually works.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Sit in the first row.

This has always been the most important part to me. It was never even a second though until last week when I arrived to my math class late. I had to sit 4 or 5 rows back. It was incredibly difficult to concentrate, when in front of you you can see 2 people messing around on their laptops, another 3 texting somebody, and two others talking amongst themselves. When I'm in the front row, there's nothing to focus on but the teacher and the lesson.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee + cigarettes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know that nobody ever wants to be "that guy" in class, but if you are a more active participant, class seriously goes by faster and its easier to stay awake. I'm not sure if it is a large lecture-hall format or a smaller class open to some discussion, but take part and you'll stay awake (in addition to "getting" more of the material. If it is a lecture based class, as the other poster mentioned, try to ask a few questions.

I tended to be most active in the classes I HATED... only because it kept me focused on material that otherwise I'd just let pass in and out of my head. It was easy to stay awake in classes I really enjoyed.

If it makes you feel any better, though, try sitting in on a seminar of professors/instructors or going to a conference. A lot of times, many of them will fall asleep, too. Passively receiving information is really dull... and makes you want to fall asleep.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I agree about participating. Do the reading, be prepared and it will be more interesting. Not to mention that it will ease the workload when finals come around cause you will actually learn and re-affirm as you go.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forced myself to sit in the first row of every class starting with my very first day of college. The teacher/prof keeps making eye contact with you, so you stay on your toes.

More people begin to recognize your name and face, but you never do for others. It's a bit odd when strangers know your name.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are you thinking about? i never understood how people just daydream/drift in thoughts. just listen to the prof and take notes. its not that hard.

IrishDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
what are you thinking about? i never understood how people just daydream/drift in thoughts.

2.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any real solutions except one that I heard once: if you are falling asleep, stand at the back of the room. You won't fall asleep while standing up.

Now, what I really wanted to say was that I fell asleep all the time in class in both undergrad and grad school. And I do it now in meetings at work. Your problem may simply be that, like me, you cannot sit still doing nothing but listening to someone speak.

It may not have anything to do with your actual interest in the material. If you truly like what you're studying, stick with it. Just find a way to stay awake.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads