• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tropical/high twist wool good for workhorse suit?

boston

Reaction score
Hello all:

I'm having a MTM suit put together in a couple of weeks (full canvas etc) and I need it to be my standard workhorse, charcoal grey suit. I spend a lot of time in planes, and don't have a lot of other suits, so I need something that sheds creases well, is flexible in lots of different situations, and is basically the basic wardrobe workhorse.

If possible, I also hope to wear the jacket alone on occassion, although if it looks too suit-like I may need to skip that idea. The additional flexibility is nice, but this needs to be a no-nonsense suit first and foremost.

Charcoal worsted seems like the best choice, but what weight should I get the material in? I am intrigued by Hackett's high-twist travel suit, so am considering something high-twist or in a tropical wool. I know it has a dry hand and may look a little strange with full canvas construction, but I was hoping it would also last a long time.

Hackett has also released a medium weight travel suit in super 120 marino. I don't plan on buying anything from Hackett, but maybe this heavier wool will be better looking, wearing, and flexible than the tropical/high twist wool.

What do people think? Your workhorse charcoal worsted suit for travel -- high twist/tropical or medium weight?

-boston

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you are travelling IMO. Do you live in Boston? If so, go 11 or 12 oz. IMO.

boston

Reaction score
I do live in boston, but travel all over. 11-12 oz was what i was thinking for a medium weight.

-boston

joseanes

Reaction score
I'm having a MTM suit put together in a couple of weeks (full canvas etc) and I need it to be my standard workhorse,
What tailor/company will be doing the suit?

(I live in Boston, and I am looking to buy a "workhorse" MTM suit also).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Rizzo in Harvard Sq. for bespoke. Go to Zarah for Oxxford MTM (better prices than Neimans, I'd think). Louis has Oxxford bespoke still, I think.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both of these on the Hackett website look like good options. High-twist cloth (such as a fresco) is deceptively light and cool, and sheds wrinkles like nothing else. 12 oz fresco can look pretty coarse, however. I did see one medium-grey chalk stripe that looked like flannel from a distance. Only up close did it show the holes that made it breathe so well.

To be considered, however: high-twist cloth might get a little shiny through wear, especially in the light weight. So you're going to need a replacement in a couple of years, or might also need an alternate to prolong useful life.

Which is another way of saying, get one of each if you can. If this is really the workhorse, you'll need backup in case of coffee stains, repairs, getting stuck in the rain, or what have you. And the right summer suit will feel very chilly in the winter.

boston

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice.

I'm actually not going to get it made in Boston -- I'm going to get it made in Baltimore. But it is interesting to learn that Rizzo offers bespoke services. I've walked by that shop hundreds of times, but never gone into it. I'll have to stop by -- is it recommended?

As for what I end up getting, I guess I'll see what's on offer. I'll try and post something once it's done though.

-boston

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Rizzo -- great prices (from $1100 to $2200 depending on fabric, with nice Loro Pianas starting at $1500 or so) . They guy has a great eye, and his hand stitching is impeccable. I can't speak to his cutting skills, since I've never seen any of his jackets on the actual client -- that is, except for seeing John Kerry at the debates and such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads