1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trip to the UK in late April and early May - What clothing should I bring?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Achilles_, Mar 13, 2012.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Watching Wallace and Gromit claymations is decent preparation for visiting Britain for the first time.

If you can find any of the old California Raisins claymations, those are good, too. Basically, anything claymation.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Those who have been to England or speak English can back me up on this.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. recondite

recondite Senior member

Ha!

Not claymation, but Benny Hill is definitely not source material. Dr. Who is the way to go.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I am also headed to London for a short (3.5 days) jaunt in mid-May. This will be my 4th appearance in the city, but will be with my first-time abroad parents. Therefore I'm pretty much a tourist. Though I'm setting the schedule so I will be steering us by some shops I want to see.

To Achillus - FWIW, I plan on bringing 2 pairs of dark selvedge jeans, white canvas sneakers, 3 casual button downs (think J Crew or Club Monaco), 2 merino sweaters in case it is cool, a navy cotton sport coat, a light-weight casual jacket with removable hood in case it rains. Maybe some dub monks if we plan go to a nicer dinner or a show.

To the broader group and locals - do Londoners wear chukka boots? The pair I have are pretty comfortable to walk in so I was considering bringing them as well. At night they can pass for slightly nicer shoes than the sneakers.

6. E TF

E TF Senior member

Hey Achilles, how was the trip?

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

The trip was amazing!

I posted on the wall of the armory thread, talking briefly about the Drakes store (amazing place!)

The shops were incredible in that area, and the shopping mall I went to off oxford street was filled with Zegna Couture, Brioni, etc

I went to one thrift store, but the prices were very very high for used clothing :cloud:

I loved the building and museums and people. I don't think I could ever afford to live in the are I would want, but I will definitely visit again!

My only gripe is the cost of the food, but then again I was in the most expensive part of the city...

8. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our humble city.

Which "shopping mall" are you referring to? Selfridges?

Also, did you make it to Knightsbridge? It's actually more expensive their than Mayfair, these days.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Hmmm I can't remember. It was a block or two from the Bond Street tube platform on oxford street though...

10. E TF

E TF Senior member

Sounds like Selfridges.
    Glad you had a good time, you see so many threads about upcoming trips/weddings/interviews etc and never hear anything more - it's nice to get a bit of feedback!