• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip to Florence

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Make sure you take time to view the art and the Italian women...then get a gelatto!

When I went to Florence, there weren't any italians to be found.

DM.ru

Reaction score
...go to Chianti Classico region..have good wine...and visit Panerai boutiqe

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, a trip to florence! lucky!

here are a few things i would think about, if it were me making the trip:

Custom-Made Men
Fashionable fellows on the inside track—from London to Hollywood—know that Florence's bespoke tailors and cobblers are some of the most skilled in the country.

Sting regularly orders suits from brothers Piero and Franco Cisternino, who ply their yards of Ermenegildo Zegna cashmeres and English worsteds in a dusty atelier at 22R Via del Pugatorio ($ for appointments, call 39-055/280-118). A suit costs from $1,850 to $3,680 and usually takes 20 days to construct.

Master tailor Simone Abbarchi makes only 3,000 shirts a year, using exclusively Italian cotton, linen, and silk. After a 30-minute consultation at his studio (16 Borgo Santissimi Apostoli; 39- 055/210-552), clients order from seasonal fabric look-books ($96-$156 a shirt).

Oltrarno shoemakers Stefano Bemer and Roberto Ugolini are two of the best custom craftsmen in town. Neither man's shop has the studded-leather banquettes of Bonora, Florence's best-known cobbler, but their heavy handmade shoes are works of art. At Bemer (143R Borgo San Frediano; 39-055/222-558), the designs range from classic oxfords to slick, casual loafers (from $1,900). Ugolini's workshop (17R Via Michelozzi; 39-055/216-246) turns out mostly traditional wingtips and monk straps ($450-$1,000). Orders from both cobblers take about four months.

I think Sutor Mantellassi is located in Florence.

The Perfect Panini
Between Ferragamo and Gucci on the Via Tornabuoni is Procacci, a Florentine institution that began selling truffles in 1885. Not much has changed since then—not the dark wood paneling, huge mirrors, or marble counter. And certainly not the thing to order: a glass of Prosecco and a tiny truffle cream-filled panino. Or five. Panino and a Prosecco, $8. At 64R Via Tornabuoni; 39-055/211-656.

i bought a ready to wear suit made in florence, can't recall the name. my understanding is that florentine tailors do something a little different with...the darts, i think, of a jacket? they carried this brand at saks, and i ended up really liking it-- suit had nice handmade buttonholes, retailed at saks NYC for $3500 (i got it at a nice discount). There is a custom tailor shop in florence by the same name, but can't recall what the darned name is.....would be cool to get the inside story on this brand, tho. AHA! Liverano is the brand. the tailor shop by the same name (connected, or not?)

http://www.liverano.com/style.html

suit i bought, florentine style
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/5013/suit338ug.jpg
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5914/suit22fc.jpg

rbjones

Reaction score
Okay you havent been to Italy in a while, around 7 years ago they switched their currency to the Euro, prices got inflated and its now $1.29/euro. The sale is Saldi, according to Italian law, there are two major sales per year and every store has to have a sale, these are actually the only periods of they year they are legally allowed to have sales.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, rb-- you're right, that info is far from current. consulted one of my favorite online magazine sites, and threw it in the reply.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone confirm or deny that sutor mantellassi has a store in florence?

If you wouldn't mind, any chance you might snap a few shots of the Brioni store in Florence? I'm a big fan of the brand.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I mght be making a business trip to Florence soon. I did some research and found the following artisans to pay homage to:

Tailors: Vestrucci, Bugelli
Shoemakers: Ugolini, Bemer

Feel free to add to the list. I am also interested in leather goods that is Florence seems to be known for. Thanks.

Actually, the first thing you should be doing in Firenze is admiring the great works of art. I would suggest going to the Uffizi and the outdoor sala with the most wonderful of sculptures.... Leathergoods and clothing are a far distant second for what that city is known for.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
can someone confirm or deny that sutor mantellassi has a store in florence?

piazza della republica, 5 & 25R
Head office and shop.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
further to the above:

go to bar Giacosa, v. della Spada, 10r - 19cent. bar where the Negroni was invented. Sophisticated, classy.

best ice cream: Vivoli, v. Isole delle Stinche, 7r. - amazing stuff.

sorry for hijack.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
further to the above: go to bar Giacosa, v. della Spada, 10r - 19cent. bar where the Negroni was invented. Sophisticated, classy.
What is Negroni? Btw: "la terra dei motori" Does it translate to Emilia-Romagna? Ferrari...Lamborghini....

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frittata
What is Negroni?

Btw: "la terra dei motori"
Does it translate to Emilia-Romagna? Ferrari...Lamborghini....

sorry: Negroni is the slightly bitter cocktail.

Yes, the land of the motors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads