• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trip Report: RRL Store, Georgetown, DC

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've stopped into the RRL store in the past extremely briefly, but I had stuff to do in Georgetown today so decided to set aside a good 4 hour block to hit up all the shops. By far the highlight of the experience was the RRL store.

The shop itself is extremely small, very narrow, nestled in to an old brick building next to the gigantic Rugby store (which was meh as usual). RRL is probably my favorite brand, and I was really curious to see what they had in stock/how their stock had changed from what I've seen on ebay and from small retailers. I came in expecting to be underwhelmed, and left floored. The staff was very helpful and actually knowledgeable about denim and the products they sell.

The entire atmosphere of the store is actually impressive, with a ton of Americana memorabilia, includingo 60 year old boots, old records and old posters.

Like a bunch of other people on this board I've bought RRL jeans on ebay and thought they were a great value for the price, but not the greatest cuts, and with serious sizing issues. RRL has revamped all of their jeans, and all the sizing issues are gone. The denim is much cheaper than the retail prices I'd seen from outlet stuff on ebay. The new straight leg cut is much slimmer than the old one, with a lower rise. The slim cut is actually extremely slim now - in line with an APC New Cure. The highlight for me though, was the new version of the Slim Boot. It's the perfect compromise between a straight leg, with its generous top block (although low rise), and a slim jean, with a heavily tapered leg with a very, very slight flare, perfect for stacking. The denim comes in many different varieties: heavy raw, a lighter raw (with a different indigo dye), one wash and heavily washed. The washes are some of the best I've ever seen. The price point for most of the jeans were $225. I ended up buying a pair of the raw Slim Boot. The jeans do have the ugly back/front pocket stitching, but they removed it as I checked out, which was nice.

Other then jeans the store carries a ton of amazing stuff. They have t-shirts (which honestly left me underwhelmed, a very boxy fit and overpriced at $60), sweaters (including an extremely heavy shawl collar knit that is very similar to the one from w+h this season) and sweatshirts with vintage prints. The highlight of the other merchandise for me were the shirts. They have a good stock of the RRL button down oxfords, which are an amazing shirt at a very competitive price ($125). They're TTS but very slim fitting, I'd say they're the shirts J. Crew wishes they could make. They also had a collection of non button down collar shirts on sale, and I snagged one for $100. Again, TTS, but very slim.

The store also has RRL accessories, which are extremely expensive, but very tempting. They have the RRL leather satchel that Mauro picked up from Farinelli's, a leather messenger bag (~$1200 ish), a canvas duffle, a women's indigo dyed jean purse (~$700 ish), a canvas toiletries bag ($175) and some other things I didn't notice. They also have Indian inspired jewerly, sunglasses and wallets, including selvage, raw and faded indigo dyed.

As I don't own a digital camera I didn't take any pictures, but I'll get some shots up of the stuff I bought.

The store does take phone orders. I made sure to ask.

Other stores I hit up and impressions -

Georgetown Opticians - Really nice, got some new Paul Smith frames, although their prescription sunglass pricing is ridiculous. No way I'm going to pay $1100 for some Mosley Tribe aviators. Anyway, extremely helpful staff, and willing to help cut deals to lower prices.

Barney's Coop - Terrible. A marsupialed little brother of any real department store, with an abysmal selection. I asked if they had any BoO shorts and the salesperson just looked at me with confusion. Had like 4 things from Rag & Bone. Only good selection was of Nudie denim.

Rugby - Meh

H&M - Probably the worst H&M I've ever seen.

I'm really overheated right now so I doubt my post is as coherent as it could be. If you have a specific item you're looking for I might have seen it, so lemme know.

skiwebster

Reaction score
you are right about H&M. it's got about 1 or 2 small racks of guys stuff. pathetic.

Still haven't been to the RRL store but your post makes me want to check it out.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
When I go to pick up my glasses I'm gonna hit up the Zara, the UO and the AA. The J Crew was dogshit too, probably the worst staffed J Crew I've ever been in to.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't even know there was a store just dedicated to rrl, i am now intrigued. i do know that the barney's in chicago picked up the line this fall/winter season and they actually had a pretty extensive collection aside from the denim...

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did you meet Lisa? I think she's sexy!

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
haha yes she was awesome. I feel like I'm betraying you by buying from them Mauro, so I promise to buy twice as much your next RRL order.

I also love being able to go 'let me try that in one wash' from the changing room and not have the salesperson go 'huh'.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey no worries.
I will have plenty. I wan to hire her for the DC space.
For a more muture women she is ******* HOT!!

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
haha. definitely. oh I forget to mention, the store has a bunch of women's stuff, but I didn't really look at so I have no specifics. there are some jeans though

jqbomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
hey no worries.
I will have plenty. I wan to hire her for the DC space.
For a more muture women she is ******* HOT!!

sounds like i might have to make a stop in georgetown to see this broad...

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
she pulls off the western workwear look better than 99% of this forum lol

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No doubt. She's classy and approachable. I like her a lot!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never knew there was an RRL store in Georgetown. I'll have to swing by there, maybe this weekend.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sure did
frown.gif

Now I am the only one with RRL
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads