Tried to polish my new shoes, think I might have destroyed them...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Euxeus, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:brick:

2. BerlutiLover

BerlutiLover Member

I respectfully disagree. I do resole my shoes and keep them for years and years... I think old worn shoes are very elegant and in a way I develop a connection with them... But I am just be a shoe neurotic as you said... :)

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Boston Cracked Shoes... "Newly-minted lawyers and bankers climbed their respective ladders in spit-shined brogues; the old partners at the top of the ladder had the luxury of comfortable shoes. Cracked shoes meant success. “The message inherent was three-fold: first, the men who subscribed to the look were, despite success, generally frugal and prudent. Second, they were too well-heeled and removed to be bothered with such banalities as cobblers. And finally, that their primary care was for taste, things well-used to the point of smooth burnishing, and not for high fashion.The first time this stubborn Yankee frugality came to the attention of the public was during the 1952 presidential campaign,” wrote Ivy-Style contributor Bill Stephenson. ”LIFE Magazine ran a picture of Adlai Stevenson with his feet propped on a chair, and there was a large hole in one of Stevenson’s shoes. The press was dumfounded at what they considered to be a huge faux pas.” What LIFE failed to note was that Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (he declined “Jr.”), scion of a wealthy family of New England politicians, was merely at ease in his own environment, cracked shoes and all. So at ease that novelist Tom Wolfe was inspired to coin, in Bonfire of The Vanities, the phrase “Boston Cracked-Shoe Look” …and it stuck." OP - I think the difference will most likely become much less noticeable as the shoes develop a patina. Often brown shoes patina at different rates anyway. Only the darkest browns look absolutely uniform.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. GBR

GBR Senior member

You are wrong on resoling many people do resole - especially expensive shoes.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Polish/shine it. Military term

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

I regret to say more nonsense.

7. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Stop feeding the troll.

OP, there is an entire lengthy thread on shoe care I suggest you post this in. It gets a lot of traffic from people who know what they're doing and the tone has managed to remain (mostly) helpful and respectful. Also just spend some time perusing said thread for general advice on how to treat your new shoes.

Congrats on the purchase, by the way.

8. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

^^^This is very true. With good shoes, they tend to look better as they age, no?

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

+1.

OP: wear the shoes, polish as needed, and once you become more familiar with the leather's characteristics, you'll get better at it. Another advantage of owning shoes for a long time is you'll know how they react.

The shoe care thread is a great resource. If you are very concerned you can always use Renomat which is a great product to take out wax/polish build-up. However, I would say give the shoes some mileage. I'm in NYC and put on 3 to 5 miles daily on my shoes. I personally feel a sense of satisfaction when I get to the point of resoling knowing that the purchase was money well spent on items that provide regular use.

10. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

Does anyone else think this is actually some guy living in his mother's basement? Nothing about him suggests high class.

11. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

LOL! I literally laughed my @ss off when I read this. I'm glad that I signed on today.

12. Expat Simon

Expat Simon Active Member

To the OP, you were right that is a good idea to give a new pair of shoes some polish. You started with very good intentions, and it's a shame about the slight water stain on a new pair of good shoes, but don't worry too much. Using water was probably a bit too much for your first polishing attempt, and unless you've got Dress Parade first thing in the morning you don't 'need' to John Bull your shoes.

As somebody else said, the colour, or tone of your shoes is actually an ongoing thing (unless they're black). Also, you can manipulate that colour yourself in many ways. I've changed quite a few pairs of my shoes, the second I've taken them out of their new box. I've got a pair of brick coloured boots where I used some Saphir Renomat and took a little colour off the toe area -very carefully (7 coats of anything isn't usually a benefit). They now have a subtle bit of tan colour, in that toe area, which I like -and that's all that matters. In the age of dorky, insecure, internet bullies, it's too easy to over-worry what some troll thinks.

I've got some other brogues that looked very flat and dull, a drab shade of mid-brown (on sale) when new, so I used navy blue Saphir creme on them. With a tiny brush, I quickly worked the blue into all the brogueing, brushed them off, then another quick polish in mid-brown (changing for a clean cloth a lot), which took off all the excess blue. It has given them a beautiful, deep nut shade, with dark accents in the brogued areas. I've done yet another pair of mid-brown shoes with dark brown tonality, a different effect again.

So basically, you've not got off to the best start, but there are a ton of ways to go. They're certainly not ruined!

13. Latour

Latour Active Member

That's only because you can't afford a collection of good new ones.Develop a relation with something important not dead skins you wear on your feet and walk on the dirts treet with.

14. Latour

Latour Active Member

I know what you mean, I read SF for laughs and to occasionally give a kid some useful advice.But like all kids and noobs they think that they know better than the Professor and have to learn the hard way.

15. Latour

Latour Active Member

You're projecting again,son. And stop getting your impressions of "class" from Hollywood films.In real life we are quite different. In others words, you're not capable to judge anything and I can prove it with a few questions.