1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tried to polish my new shoes, think I might have destroyed them...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Euxeus, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Euxeus

Euxeus Member

I read that it was a good idea to polish new shows as it gives them extra protection. My new C&J Malton shoes didn't look like they needed a polish but I thought I would try it anyway to be on the safe side. I had not polished shoes before but I'd a few read guides here and watched videos online to get an idea of what I was doing.

However I think I made quite a few mistakes:

1. I applied drops of water directly on to the shoe.
    2. I rubbed the leather quite hard with a cloth and for quite a long time (at least 15 mins)
    3. I applied at least 7 layers of polish as I couldn't see the leather getting any shinier.

The result of these mistakes is that the toecap on one of the shoes has became noticeably darker than the toecap on the other shoe. At first it was a dull brown whilst the other shoe's toecap was a uniform colour with the rest of the shoe.

The day after attempting to shine my shoes I went to my local shoe-shine, the girl there told me not to worry about them as the dark mark was probably water retained in the leather (from mistake 1), she said that it should be gone in 24 hours. She shined both shoes up to how they look now, 6 days later:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In real life the dark mark and the difference in color is more noticeable than what the photos show.

So what's the diagnosis now? Is the leather still drying our or have I done some more serious damage? If I have damaged them then is there anything a decent cobbler could do?

Thanks.

2. Euxeus

Euxeus Member

Quote: I used the tan color polish that I was given by the C&J shop.

Quote: I spent $650 on these shoes so I'd like to look after them as best as possible. I know plenty of people that have owned shoes for more than 5 years, they've had them resoled and they still look great.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The comment that "no one resoles shoes anymore" is just flat out wrong and is absolutely awful advice. Allen Edmonds offers a recrafting service that many use, and it is way better to spend $100 getting a pair of shoes resoled than spending a multiple of that on a new pair. If the uppers look like hell and are beyond repair, that's one thing, but it's idiotic to throw shoes out if the uppers are in good shape.

2 people like this.
  4. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

I don't see any water spots in the pictures so the shoes are probably fine. With polishing the shoes will take on a patina over time and the colors will even out. Next time you polish, just use the "less is more" rule. I'll only add water if I'm trying to bull the shoe, and even then, it's just a drop for the whole toecap.

5. JHadley360

JHadley360 New Member

What does this mean?

6. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Congratulations - inaccurate and pretentious in one post. Would that be 'no one' like the Prince of Wales?

[​IMG]

To the OP - This isn't damage per se - it's probably a combination of some of that water still in the leather (often happens with brogued shoes) and some burnishing from the wax. If you want to want to even them out, ask whomever deals in C&J or other high-end shoes in your area to recommend a cobbler. Ask said cobbler to burnish the other one to match.

If you found other guides on shining shoes confusing, this might be helpful: http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care-guide.html

And just for Latour - a guide on when to resole your shoes: http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care-guide/when-to-replace-soles.html

2 people like this.
  8. Latour

Latour Active Member

It's a waste of money to spend 1/3 a shoe's value to redo a 10 yo old shoe.For the average middle classer who likely has 5-6 good shoes they will last 5 years if cared for.People who buy more expensive items have much larger amounts of them and never wear them out. I still have shoes I bought at Churches 30 years ago lying around that show little signs of sole or heel wear.No, I don't wear them because they are now 1/2 size too small (feet keep growing) and I have no intention of ruining my foot or cause knee pain over a piece of leather(only a poor young dweeb would value some dead hide over his body)
    And it's idiotic to keep the same old shoe like it's an heirloom (lol) when you can just buy a new one.Clothes are disposible. You get your use out of them and then dispose of them.Besides, who wants to keep wearing the same old shoes and resoling them for 20 years. It's like shagging the same girl as she gets older and older and more dried out [​IMG] Put down the shoe polish and get some game. First get some money and you won't be obsessing over ordinary things like clothes.You'll just buy what people in your area and class buy and you'll have a wide choice.

9. ZackP

ZackP Well-Known Member

I'm awaiting the amazing replies to this post.

10. Latour

Latour Active Member

That's a gimmick to pretend he's a common man and thrifty and the naive fall for it.Probably cost more for the patch than a new pair[​IMG]Why doesn't he patch his clothes too to get the full effect?
    Look at real aristocrats not this one numbskull.If he was shagging Diana rather than painting watercolours on the moor in his kilt and pining over horseface(who he later married-she's 65!)Diana would have behaved.
    And btw, no one's going to mistake for anything other than you are just because you're wearing some beatup ill fitting Lobb you bought for $50 at Goodwill or fleabay.It will just make you look poorer and more pathetic.

11. lucidream

lucidream Active Member

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Nah, just a noob who thinks he knows more than he does.

1 person likes this.
  13. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I was going to go for "Just a cunt" but Cptjeff is a little more charitable than me!

2 people like this.
  14. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Troll!

15. Expat Simon

Expat Simon Active Member

The thing that somebody like that never thinks through, is that when you make a blanket statement -with the arrogant belief that you are the chosen representative of all human-kind, and that you know everything. When you talk as if your opinion is shared from the heavens above and that all of us little people are privileged to hear it, and when you believe that you are never, but NEVER wrong... then 99% of the rest of humanity, just really enjoy proving you wrong.

In Milan, we have a shoe repair shop that only exists to resole Goodyear welted shoes. Whenever I go in, it is packed, with shoes from all of the good UK and US shoe manufacturers, hundreds of shoes getting re-soled. I see real Gents in there, and new money -most of them are people who can afford as many new shoes as they want, but like their comfortably broken in footwear. Plus there are the people who are changing out their leather soles from a rubber type, or vice-versa, there are people adding or removing mid-soles to make the shoe look more or less chunky -all types. Plus there's the Shoehealer in the UK, and there is every single Goodyear welted shoe manufacturer -all re-soling their own shoes.

"No one resoles shoes any more"

Apart from all the people around the world getting their shoes resoled every day, he's absolutely right.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:brick:

17. BerlutiLover

BerlutiLover Member

I respectfully disagree. I do resole my shoes and keep them for years and years... I think old worn shoes are very elegant and in a way I develop a connection with them... But I am just be a shoe neurotic as you said... :)

1 person likes this.
  18. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Boston Cracked Shoes... "Newly-minted lawyers and bankers climbed their respective ladders in spit-shined brogues; the old partners at the top of the ladder had the luxury of comfortable shoes. Cracked shoes meant success. “The message inherent was three-fold: first, the men who subscribed to the look were, despite success, generally frugal and prudent. Second, they were too well-heeled and removed to be bothered with such banalities as cobblers. And finally, that their primary care was for taste, things well-used to the point of smooth burnishing, and not for high fashion.The first time this stubborn Yankee frugality came to the attention of the public was during the 1952 presidential campaign,” wrote Ivy-Style contributor Bill Stephenson. ”LIFE Magazine ran a picture of Adlai Stevenson with his feet propped on a chair, and there was a large hole in one of Stevenson’s shoes. The press was dumfounded at what they considered to be a huge faux pas.” What LIFE failed to note was that Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (he declined “Jr.”), scion of a wealthy family of New England politicians, was merely at ease in his own environment, cracked shoes and all. So at ease that novelist Tom Wolfe was inspired to coin, in Bonfire of The Vanities, the phrase “Boston Cracked-Shoe Look” …and it stuck." OP - I think the difference will most likely become much less noticeable as the shoes develop a patina. Often brown shoes patina at different rates anyway. Only the darkest browns look absolutely uniform.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  19. GBR

GBR Senior member

You are wrong on resoling many people do resole - especially expensive shoes.

1 person likes this.
  20. GBR

GBR Senior member

Polish/shine it. Military term