• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tried on some jeans, need advice

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I tried a few pairs of jeans today. Basically I'm looking for something a little bit more bootcut than my usual straighleg which will be a change of pace from the jeans I got and the New Standards I'm getting. Got a few comments and looking for advice (keep in mind that I'm the kind of person that doesn't find Acne action jeans to be that tight and that wears a 1/small in APC so what works for you might not work for me and vice versa):

-I still dislike True Religion and Chip & Pepper, maybe I keep trying the same models without noticing but they always seem overdone and True Religion is so low rise it makes me look like a plumber when I'm standing and C&P is big/small in all the wrong places...

-I tried on a pair of JP Da'Mage Ice34, I think the name of the collection was "White". They were pretty nice and I loved the fit but I was wearing a 29 and maybe (big maybe) could have gone lower but they didn't have them so I have no idea (I'm supposed to wear a 30 what's the deal with all those oversized jeans...???). Here's a few questions I have:
1)Anybody has more information on this brand/wash and how they age? My perception is that they'll get a lot lighter very quickly.
2)They had them in 29/34 but I probably needed a 29/29-30. Seems to me like they would still look great and keep their style even I had they shortened but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, what do you think? Any advice to make sure they're ok on that point?
3)Additionally is $185 a reasonnable price for these or was the store overcharging?

-I Tried on a pair of Nudie Bootcut Ola Dry and they still seemed slightly too big at 30 but they didn't have 29 so I had no way to make sure. Now:
1)Does Nudies run true to size (not according to the jeans measurement index at least...) and should I try a 29 or am I slightly anal about having a tight fit?
2)What's your take on the Bootcut Ola versus other nudie models (especially the Reg ralf in dry selvedge)?
3)I have the same problem than with the JP Da'Mage, the inseam for those is 34 and I'm not sure I wouldn't look stupid if I got them shortened
4)Is $140 a reasonnable price for Nudies Bootcut Ola Dry?

Thanks a lot to all the denim pros out there.

Geowu

Reaction score
In terms of Nudie, go with RRDS their much tougher.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which Nudie has the straightest leg? How exact is the sizing?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whnay, The Regular Ralph has the straightest leg. They run about a size large. Fuuma - Da'mage jeans come in a regular 32 and long 34 length. They should cost you more than $172, the general retail being between $160 and 175 for Ices. I have a pair of Ices and they wear in pretty well. They will fade a bit though. Phone www.factorypeople.com, and they will direct you to another store (with a website) that carries the sizes in the shorter inseam (they are really nice people there, and will not be offended when you explain your problem. Cutting a 32 down to a 30 is much easier than cutting a 34 down to a 30). www.workmens.com sells the jeans for $129, and the shipping charges are reasonable. Or go to www.reesycakes.com, and you can get coupons for a lot of sites. Size down. They *will* tretch out a little.

Geowu

Reaction score
straightest leg is probably straight sven or regular ralph. Fuuma, if I was in your situation I would surely pick some Dior Homme dry selvage. They are great.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-I Tried on a pair of Nudie Bootcut Ola Dry and they still seemed slightly too big at 30 but they didn't have 29 so I had no way to make sure. Now:
1)Does Nudies run true to size (not according to the jeans measurement index at least...) and should I try a 29 or am I slightly anal about having a tight fit?
2)What's your take on the Bootcut Ola versus other nudie models (especially the Reg ralf in dry selvedge)?
3)I have the same problem than with the JP Da'Mage, the inseam for those is 34 and I'm not sure I wouldn't look stupid if I got them shortened
4)Is $140 a reasonnable price for Nudies Bootcut Ola Dry?
If bootcut Ola 30 was too big, then get a 29. They are supposed to fit tight, and they stretch.
My 30 was tight when I bought them, now they fill loser after a few weeks.
RRDS is not the same cut at all, and supposedly tougher.

luc

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
I got the JP Da'Mage in January (32"/34") and had them hemmed (kept the origional) to I think around a 30/31. Still look amazing. They are kinda loose, but I really like that. They didn't fade much overall (I've washed them 4 times while wearing them for a good 110 days straight). The denim is gorgous and really cool because only certain threads fade. I got my for 99 (7X+tax+14 for tailoring) at the end of the season at Nordstrom; I don't think they're carrying these anymore so you may be out of luck

Brian SD

Reaction score
Straight Sven, Slim Jim, Loose Frank all have straight legs... Ralf has a little bootcut but still looks straight.

RRDS and Straight Sven are the best denim from Nudie, but you pay for it.

Geowu, good call on the D-Homme unwashed. I wish they were available in 30.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LA and Brian,

Where can I find these in the States, how much are they? I saw them at Liberty in London but passed on them. With these two selections how much shrinkage can I expect after the first wash. My sizing is 32-30.

Thanks.

Brian SD

Reaction score
LA and Brian,
Quote:
Where can I find these in the States, how much are they? I saw them at Liberty in London but passed on them. With these two selections how much shrinkage can I expect after the first wash. My sizing is 32-30. Thanks.
They have them at Barney's in NYC, Barney's Coop, Barney's in Beverly Hills, Atrium NYC, Famous Friends NYC, HTC/Fred Segal Beverly Hills, By George in Austin, Steven Alan NYC, Jake Chicago I ordered mine by phone from HTC/Fred Segal. As far as shrinkage goes, if you order your Levi's size, they're going to be quite big at first, then shrink down to only a *little* big. If you want them to fit like Levi's do, I would say go with 31/30. They'll fit a little bit loose at first, then when you wash them they'll fit properly. They seem to compensate with a longer inseam. My 29/32's were actually a 34" inseam until I washed them.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, any idea on the price range?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks Brian, any idea on the price range?
HTC/Fred Segal, and Famous Friends charge $185 or so, not including shipping for Reg. Ralf Dry Selvage.. Other stores such as Steven Alan want $220 for em.

Straight Sven is a lot more (almost $300, last I checked), and Im not sure if any US stores have Straight Sven yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads