• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tricker's Leather - Does it Stretch?

aram108

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here. Looking to buy some nice boots and after trying Aldens (at moulded, anatomica and epaulet), Carminas and Trickers, I've decided that Trickers have the right combination
of quality and workmanship, and a hip look.

Want something that CAN be dressy, but can also be a bit rock n roll.

Tried on these today at Graham Fowler in NYC:

http://grahamefowler.com/shop/item/mens-trickers-acorn-antique-brogue/

Love them, but I'm concerned about sizing.

Tried on an 8.5 and they felt a little tight. They weren't uncomfortable, but just stiff. The sales person said that they would stretch with time.

Tried a 9, and they felt perfect.

My question is, is it better to go with the 8.5 and deal with a little discomfort for a few weeks until they form to my foot, or should I go with the 9s?

I've never had shoes of this quality before, and I want to wear them for a long time, so I want to make sure I get the right ones.

Also, will my Allen Edmonds shoe trees be okay for these boots?

The trickers ones are $75, and I don't know if I want to drop that much if I can use the Allen Edmonds.

Thanks for all your responses!

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here. Looking to buy some nice boots and after trying Aldens (at moulded, anatomica and epaulet), Carminas and Trickers, I've decided that Trickers have the right combination
of quality and workmanship, and a hip look. 

Want something that CAN be dressy, but can also be a bit rock n roll.

Tried on these today at Graham Fowler in NYC:

http://grahamefowler.com/shop/item/mens-trickers-acorn-antique-brogue/

Love them, but I'm concerned about sizing.

Tried on an 8.5 and they felt a little tight. They weren't uncomfortable, but just stiff.  The sales person said that they would stretch with time.

Tried a 9, and they felt perfect. 

My question is, is it better to go with the 8.5 and deal with a little discomfort for a few weeks until they form to my foot, or should I go with the 9s?

I've never had shoes of this quality before, and I want to wear them for a long time, so I want to make sure I get the right ones.

Also, will my Allen Edmonds shoe trees be okay for these boots?

The trickers ones are $75, and I don't know if I want to drop that much if I can use the Allen Edmonds. 

Thanks for all your responses!

I've had those boots- very nice. I would not expect them to stretch too much and would go with the pair that fit right off the bat. $75 for a pair of trickers trees is crazy.

Varmant

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never comprimise on comfort. Buy the 9's.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do stretch ever so slightly. And go for comfort before you kill your feet. Shoes too small will make all your other problems walk away.

Last edited:

aram108

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses everyone!!!!

Really psyched to pick these up!!!!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tricker's country shoes are stiff as hell when new but they're not going to stretch.

You should be able to get those for under $500 shipped from a UK retailer like Shoe Healer or Pediwear.
Pediwear even has their version with dainite and a lighter edge trim left in a 9UK.
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/4122.php
They also include shoe trees as does Shoe Healer for standard stock models.

Be sure to ask them to ship Royal Mail to avoid UPS/Fedex/DHL brokerage and duty though.

aram108

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

The thing is, I would really like to buy these shoes where I tried them on, at Graham Fowler in NYC.

The problem is that they cost $600, plus $75 for shoe trees, plus tax. So I'm basically looking at $725.

If I get them from Pediwear, they're $500.

I appreciate the service at Graham Fowler, but don't want to have to pay an extra $225.

Today I called and asked if they could match the price and they said they couldn't, which is a bit frustrating as I want to get these shoes today.

Has anyone had any experience buying at Pediwear?

WIll the size 9UK I tried on in NYC be the same fitting as the one I order online?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bought from pediwear and shoe healer many times. Pediwear will also offer 5% on future Tricker's purchases.
I forget the brand of the trees that pediwear includes (could be Dasco) but they're definitely not Tricker's.
$75 is an insane price to pay for those trees unless you absolutely have to have Tricker's branded ones.

Keep in mind that if you order from the UK and they ship DHL, UPS, or Fedex, there's a high likelihood of having to pay $5-30 in customs brokerage plus about 8.5% duty.
I believe pediwear will ship royal mail/parcel force if you request. I think there's a 2kg limit or something like that though.

Those GF boots look to be the standard Acorn Stow on 4497.
The pediwear ones will fit the same. They also carry the standard model.

aram108

Reaction score
Sweet.

Do you think there will be any difference between the fit of the leather sole ones and the dainite ones?

Seems like dainite may be the way to go, as I'm often in snowy conditions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads